Bridge (Model)

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: Bridge (Model)

Postby Jojon » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:46 pm

I like the worn-in look - less sterile. :)
Jojon

Postby Ruvinka » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:15 am

Don't throw a brick at me ...

I think it's perfectly realisitic to have landscaped our bridges and planted mosses in planned cracks and openings. Lichen is not as realistic because it takes certain conditions over time on a surface to look the way we'd want it to. My answer is plant some moss ( which is super easy in real life ) and don't make any lichen.
Ruvinka

Postby Monkeyboy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:15 pm

Ruvinka wrote:Don't throw a brick at me ...

I think it's perfectly realisitic to have landscaped our bridges and planted mosses in planned cracks and openings. Lichen is not as realistic because it takes certain conditions over time on a surface to look the way we'd want it to. My answer is plant some moss ( which is super easy in real life ) and don't make any lichen.

Agreed, Ruvinka. I mean, how long did it take to write the Age, build things on it, then how long for the public to see it? With lichen that takes a long time, and I have a feeling we haven't been there that long for everything to degrade and grow lichen. The moss should be bright pink. ;)
Monkeyboy

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:21 am

Okay, I think we're all agreed that a little wear and tear would look best.

It is interesting to note how the stone bridge is made out of very simple shapes, as if someone designed it in Blender and wasn't too good at it.

It's kind of funny how people can attribute reality-based modeling and texturing to game flaws...Like crooked wallpaper is considered a readily explainable occurence in real life, but in a game people tsk at it and call it a bad texturing job.

I have lots of stone+moss textures.

I'll probably end up using some of those later, although for now I'm working on breaking out the texture for the medusa tree's leaves.

Fine by me. It's an alien Age anyway; the plants probably won't be exact equivalents to the plants we're familiar with. Maybe the ERC Age plants will be like bamboo and spread over the bridge at several feet a day.
Agreed, Ruvinka. I mean, how long did it take to write the Age, build things on it, then how long for the public to see it?

Err...Let's just pretend that there's a realistic answer to that question. :roll: (I mean, it shouldn't take that long to assemble a giant multistory museum, right? ;) )

The moss should be bright pink. ;)

Sorry MB, I just can't see that! :lol: Ahem, anyway...I imagine we'll probably just use the moss color that fits the local color scheme the best...probably a shade of blue, orange, green, or red.
Jennifer_P

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:21 pm

I think there are significant differences between Dakro's model and the source of inspiration. Here's the picture:

Here's the differences I spotted:

- Dakro's bridge only has posts at the end, while the real bridge has posts in the midpoint.
- Dakro's bridge has wider planks than the original one - they seem to be twice as wide.
- The supporting arcs end differently in Dakro's model than in the real one.
- The real bridge is made of cedar; Dakro uses a plywood texture.

It's my opinion that there are enough differences to warrant its use in the ERC age. I know that there was discussion about creating a worn stone bridge; but this model has the advantage that it is complete.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Previous

Return to ERC Age