Area D (Island) Description!

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: Area D (Island) Description!

Postby Shevek » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:31 pm

Shorah guys.

God, it feels good to have the internet back again! :P
Anyway, about the animal noises, let's try not to make them too typical - I mean, look at some of the things we have around us:
Zebras. Ever heard one? If you haven't, do so. Wierdest noise you'd ever hear.
Or crickets, for example...during the night, in the heat, the noise they make - now I know, everyone knows that crickets chirrup in the night, but just think of it outside the normal box. If you had never seen a cricket, would you EVER expect them to make that sort of noise, if any noise at all...?
Just a thought. :P

Shevek
Shevek

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:04 am

Good ideas, Lanen, Shevek. :) You guys think you could nail these sounds down pretty closely for each of the animals on the list? (My apologies for the short reply; I'm terribly busy with school at the moment)
Jennifer_P

Postby Shevek » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:46 am

Shorah all!

Okay, so whats going on?
What's the plan and how's the progress?
If you send me that "new improved" texture for your medusa tree (along with a scale idea) i'll rework it some time tomorrow. As for sounds, well, I have 101 different sound alteration programs, all synthoid stuff but it can turn a snore into a hurricane and make the hurricane sing yankee doodle. Good programs, and I think they could help on that.
(I mean, for the bugs on Riven, the sounds were made up of flipping cards and a fan, with the sound mixed together. Imagine what else we could do)

Shevek
Shevek

Postby Lanen » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:17 am

I have no idea how to make or get sounds. I might be able to dig a sound up and pass the link along and we could make our own new version of the sound.
Lanen

Postby Shevek » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:04 pm

Well, I've looked up more than a few animal noises tonight (my computer is now snorting, sneezing, cawing and chirruping to itself) and after this morning (spent in an aviary, and feeding squirrels) I think I could make quite a good "Guess that animal" video based on weird sounds that shouldn't come from animals.
However, I WOULD like to point these out:
Ever played Exile? Remember the cute little rodent...?
http://www.seaworld.org/animal-info/sou ... babies.wav

Or how about Riven?
http://www.seaworld.org/animal-info/sou ... /hippo.wav
http://www.seaworld.org/animal-info/sou ... ndsix.aiff
http://www.units.muohio.edu/dragonfly/s ... /bison.wav

whee!
Anyway, I can't promise much but I'll see what I can do. Do we have any images for the animals other than the medusa tree and that fish ABGuy drew?
Shevek
Shevek

Postby Ruvinka » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:22 pm

I dont think we have any other animals worked out.
We do have Jennifer's million gallon tree :)
Ruvinka

Postby Shevek » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:58 am

Well, we could give that sounds as well - very faint and very location specific.
Has anyone here watched Nauusica? (Japanese Anime by the same team who did Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke)
Within it there are giant trees in a jungle that filter poisons through their system. The main character puts her ear to the trunk of the tree and hears the distant sound of echoing water and a faint, echo-y drip...drip...drip. Almost hypnotising and very calming.
I know we had an impromptu list around here somewhere...I think that we should see if ABGuy and myself could work on the creature design and modelling, and I'd love to have both Jenn's and Lain's opinions and help on the animal habits and noises.

Shevek
Shevek

Postby Lanen » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:47 pm

Hey, I'm busy today but I will put more thought into the animal sounds tomorrow!
Lanen

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:41 am

(I mean, for the bugs on Riven, the sounds were made up of flipping cards and a fan, with the sound mixed together. Imagine what else we could do)

lol, wow! That's a new one on me. I heard that they made the fire in original Myst crackle by driving a car on a gravel driveway. And you're telling me the sunners grunts were from hippos and bison? :lol:
Do we have any images for the animals other than the medusa tree and that fish ABGuy drew?

Let me see here...ametist drew a small six-legged yellowish lizard; ABguy also drew another lizard pic in his Creatures thread. And I couldn't find my snail picture in any of my files. I'll keep looking though, as I'm pretty sure it's in my room here somewhere. :|

I have no idea how to make or get sounds. I might be able to dig a sound up and pass the link along and we could make our own new version of the sound.

Sorry for causing confusion; I just wanted you to see if you could come up with a precise sound description for each animal; we'll leave the actual sound creation to Shevek. :)

I think that we should see if ABGuy and myself could work on the creature design and modelling, and I'd love to have both Jenn's and Lain's opinions and help on the animal habits and noises.

Okay, I'll work on creating a design for the tree chinchilla. :)

In other news...The medusa tree body texture isn't done yet, I had hoped to work on it today but my siblings managed to monopolize the only computer with Photoshop installed on it. :roll: I did, however, finish sketching out some pictures of potential leaves for the "mangrove" trees (the trees need a good name). If I can get time on the computer tomorrow, I should be able to get the pics posted as well as photoshopped, plus do the minor edits required for the medusa body texture. :) Work on the medusa frond remains at a standstill, simply because I don't have enough time to work on it.

Well, we could give that sounds as well - very faint and very location specific.
Has anyone here watched Nauusica? (Japanese Anime by the same team who did Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke)
Within it there are giant trees in a jungle that filter poisons through their system. The main character puts her ear to the trunk of the tree and hears the distant sound of echoing water and a faint, echo-y drip...drip...drip. Almost hypnotising and very calming.

I guess I've never seen it; it looked interesting on Wikipedia though. But the 20 gallon tree is essentially a cactus crossed with a tree; I can't really think of any sound it would make, other than the rustling of the leaves which we can't show anyway... I could definitely see the dripping sound being used by the waterfalls though, as moisture builds up on leaves and eventually falls to the ground. :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Lanen » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:22 pm

I looooove Nauusica! I am not sure you would be able to get close enough to hear the 20 gallon tree though. But I imagine that if I put my ear up to it, I would hear water tickling inside it.

As for the "mangrove" trees, I think I would like to call them the "Lagoon Crawler" tree. Because the roots are sort of reaching and crawling through the lagoon see? :D
I think the tree chinchillas (we need a name for those too) should make some sort of purring and chirping sound.

Whatever anyone needs help with just let me know. I work better if you guys give me tasks or specific questions to work on. Mostly because I am so busy and I have so many things to do that having tasks helps me get going on a project when I have lots on my plate. But when I get going then I can really get moving! Can't wait to see what great ideas come out of this group next!
Lanen

PreviousNext

Return to ERC Age