Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: "Mangrove" Trees

Postby Lanen » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:55 pm

Wooo for new computers!
Congrats!
Lanen

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:53 am

Gee, I wonder if I could get a new computer too if this one just happened to "break?" :D

Yeah, and no worries about the mangrove trees; stuff happens. :roll:
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:27 am

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1987/1004164em5.jpg
Okay, sorry for the unPhotoshopped nature of this picture; I'm just dumping it here to stop procrastinating.

So, the critter in the corner is my take on the tree chinchilla. :) These little guys are about as big as a soccerball and are avid swimmers. They eat a diverse diet consisting of fruit, fish, insects, snails, and seeds. The antennae in particular are used for fishing, which is a very unique procedure indeed. The tree chincilla finds a shallow spot where smaller minnows hang out, and then, clinging to a lagoon crawler root, it sticks its antennae into the water and jiggles them around like a drowning insect or an aquatic bug. When a minnow approaches, the tree chinchilla releases a small shock which temporarily stuns the minnow. Then the chinchilla dives in, seizes the minnow in its paws, and climbs back up the mangrove root to eat it.

The leaves in this picture are my favorite style. I have more leaf choices for you guys to look at, but I'll post those another night. :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Lanen » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:38 pm

Oh my goodness I love the picture! I think that looks perfect for the tree chinchilla! I can just see the little furry thing running around the trees looking for the next exciting thing!
Lanen

Postby ardent red » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:45 am

cute! I love it, and the fishing is a great idea! You'll have to be careful not to make the fish as cuddly as the chinchilla, though, because there'd be an outrage if we started killing cute stuff in the ERC ;).

ooh, and thanks for the mangrove drawing also on that page- I was having a tough time trying to figre out what aspects of fractal and monster to include!
ardent red

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:41 am

Ooh, wait! Don't use that picture for the fractal mangrove roots, I have a better one that looks a lot cooler. ;) (In the one I posted I just drew in some random looking roots vaguely based off of sea monster.)

And don't worry, looking at ABguy's pictures in the Creatures thread, the fish definitely aren't cute--I don't think there can even be such a thing as a cute fish! :D
Jennifer_P

Postby ABguy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:46 pm

Hey jeez.... ow. :P
ABguy

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:49 pm

lol, not your fault ABguy! :D Fish can't be cute for the same reason leeches can't be cute. :roll:
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:42 am

Have any of you guys ever read the Rules of Cuteness? :)
[Caution: Site contains content proven to reduce sensible adults to gibbering baby talk and high-pitched squealing.]
http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/the_rules_of_cuteness/index.html
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:23 pm

So, here are more leaf styles that I worked on. See anything you like better than the other style I posted already? :geek:
Show Spoiler

The three designs at the top are a new plant form idea, half ferns. :) Have a favorite?
Jennifer_P

PreviousNext

Return to ERC Age