Not sure how to do this ...

Announcements and discussion regarding Trylon's Uru Library Manager

Not sure how to do this ...

Postby boblishman » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:38 am

OK guys .... I need some guidance here ...

I have decided to (finally) release Sonavio to the ULM ... BUT ... there is a problem.

Sonavio has a "nexus" Age (The_Company_Nexus) ... which is a separate Age that contains a "nexus" with a linking book that links back to Sonavio ... but to a different spawn point (i.e. not the default link in point).

This additional "nexus" Age is needed in order to access an area of Sonavio that cannot be accessed otherwise, and this area in turn contains the means to solve the main puzzle of Sonavio...

Basically, you can't "solve" Sonavio without having it's nexus Age also installed on your system.

How can I "instruct" the ULM to download BOTH Sonavio and The _Company_Nexus at the same time ?
(I also would prefer the downloader not to know about the additional nexus age ... as it's part of the "puzzle" ... so I really only want Sonavio to show in the ULM.)

Would I be able to upload all the files for BOTH ages into the same folder in my ftp space ... and then point the ULM at ALL the files for BOTH ages when I upload Sonavio to the ULM ?

If this method does work, do I need to also pre-register The_Company_Nexus at the ULM site ? (Sonavio is already pre-registered)
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Re: Not sure how to do this ...

Postby Trylon » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:15 am

It's a bit tricky, but the best you ca ndo is add the files for the nexus to the normal Sonavio upload.
That way they should be hidden, but at the same time dowloaded along with the rest of Sonavio.

Take note though, that due to the nature of ULM's search for "personal" ages, your nexus will still show up in the personal ages tab.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby boblishman » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:44 am

Trylon wrote:... due to the nature of ULM's search for "personal" ages, your nexus will still show up in the personal ages tab.

well ... that's better than I had imagined. I am guessing that most poeple who are downloading a "new" age from the public tab won't be looking in the personal tab ... at least not at that time ...

I'll give it a try and see what happens ... :)
boblishman

Postby J'Kla » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:46 am

Should be ok I know I don't look there unless I am creating a new development age link.

I don't think Testers over at GoMA would think to look you could choose to tell them bear in mind come any full installation the client group the players will receive the files blind from a data server and hopefully won't be using the ULM.

Would it be feasible to have a players ULM with no personal side? You only need the personal side if you are developing.
J'Kla

Postby Trylon » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:54 am

Yeah, I think it'd be cool/good to have an in-game sort of ULM, which just downloads and installs zip-files with ages from a central data server. The way it is now it just doesn't work, and I don't think yet another external program (rewrite) is the right solution.

It would require a GUI and some Relto additions, but it would be pretty cool :)
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby D'Lanor » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:53 am

I believe Jonae and the Jonae hood are also downloaded as one age. You can take that age as an example.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby boblishman » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:11 am

D'Lanor wrote:I believe Jonae and the Jonae hood are also downloaded as one age. You can take that age as an example.

hmmm ... but they both show in the Public tab ... :?
boblishman

Postby boblishman » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:18 am

OK...I uploaded to the ULM ... I would appreciate it if someone would "test" this works for me ... (so I can fix it if it's wrong before a thread/pm's start coming in)

Thanks!
boblishman

Postby J'Kla » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:25 am

You can do a quick self test move your files manually out of you Uru install just stick them in another directory remember to del the cache in the sav directory and try the ULM yourself.

It's a reasonable test if there's nobody around but I will go try it now.

[edit]
O.K. 10 minutes down load I saw your Nexus stuff come past but I got a message saying some did not download correctly.
Going to re-try may have been a download timeout.
[/edit]
Last edited by J'Kla on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
J'Kla

Postby Corvus » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:56 am

I just downloaded it after having removed all the files of Sonavio and the nexus (sav files included), as I had them installed before.
The ULM said:Some files were not downloaded correctly, but I have the green book symbol.
I successfully linked to Sonavio, but I don't have more time now to test if everything works.
The nexus book is in the personal tab.
"To regard the imagination as metaphysics is to think of it as part of life, and to think of it as part of life is to realize the extent of artifice. We live in the mind."

-Wallace Stevens-
Corvus

Next

Return to Uru Library Manager