Creatures of the ERC Age

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: Creatures of the ERC Age

Postby Jennifer_P » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:26 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that we can do a random event. :) Just remember to make sure that the flower is big enough for the lizard to get into...

I put together a little quick pseudocode for the puzzle logic (there's probably a couple ways to make this more efficient if I thought about it). Do you like 1 in 6 odds for there being a bug in any one of the flowers, or is that too low of a chance do you think? And how often should this puzzle be replayable, perhaps once a day?

if(the player has not triggered this puzzle too recently...)

then bridgeExtended = FALSE; (by default the bridge is not extended)
bugInFlower1, bugInFlower2, bugInFlower3 = FALSE; (by default there are no bugs in the flowers)
flower1, flower2, flower3 = FALSE; (by default the flowers are closed)

Get a random number, and convert it to an integer between 0-17 for 1 in 6 odds of there being a bug in a flower
if the random integer is 0, bugInFlower1 = TRUE; (There is a bug in flower 1)
if the random integer is 1, bugInflower2 = TRUE; (There is a bug in flower 2)
If the random integer is 2, bugInflower3 = TRUE; (There is a bug in flower 3)

If (player touches flower1)
flower1 = TRUE (Open flower)

If(player touches flower2)
flower2 = TRUE (Open flower)

If(player touches flower3)
flower3 = TRUE (Open flower)

If(player extends bridge)
then bridgeExtended = TRUE;

If(bugInFlower1 and bug 1 are both true, or flower2 and bug2 are true, or flower3 and bug3 are true, and bridgeExtended is FALSE)
Then play lizard noises
Else if(bugInFlower1 and flower1 are both true, or flower2 and bugInFlower2 are true, or flower3 and bugInFlower3 are true, and bridgeExtended is TRUE)
Then play animation of the lizard crossing bridge and eating the bug in flower 1, 2, or 3 as appropriate

Reset all variables to FALSE
Store the time at which the player successfully triggered this puzzle somewhere so that they can't play it again for some time.
Jennifer_P

Postby Monkeyboy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:35 pm

Well, the holidays were... um... hell. But I sat down today and "finished" the flower that our little lizard creature and beetles have a liking. I have a couple of different angles, 3 of which are colored and up top between the 2 colored it is in its closed form as well as below left, many of the other penciled sketches are me just trying to decide on a style, and working through to get an idea of what I liked. But, mostly I liked the colored images the best especially the one in the middle. And obviously whomever wants to model it can change what may be needed, etc.

Show Spoiler
Monkeyboy

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:13 am

I like it--particularly the long streamer-like petals. You should give it a name... :) I guess we also need a bug design now.

Well, the holidays were... um... hell.

:| Owch?
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:43 am

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp119/Jen_P/RustyFalcon.jpg
Ha! Found it at last! :D
This is the rusty falcon, which Lanen mentioned as a fish eating bird that will hang out by the waterfalls at the northern cliff face. Rusty falcons have (as you probably guessed from the name) rusty red-brown feathers. They don't screech, they warble rather musically. :) The body shape was a total rip-off of an Egyptian hieroglyph, with the exception of the pterodactyl crest of course.
Jennifer_P

Postby Lanen » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:56 pm

I like the falcon alot! Its a nice design that looks like it would fit in with the fauna we have already really well.
Lanen

Postby robbieagray » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:33 pm

Have you considered modifying creatures and animals from ancient mythology?
The Bahro shall rise once more. All hail the Bahro!
robbieagray

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:16 am

Thanks, Lanen. :)

And no, I hadn't thought about modifying the mythical creatures, robbie; interesting idea. They might make good decorations for the ERC building perhaps... :)
Jennifer_P

Postby robbieagray » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:12 pm

Jennifer_P wrote:Thanks, Lanen. :)

And no, I hadn't thought about modifying the mythical creatures, robbie; interesting idea. They might make good decorations for the ERC building perhaps... :)

Have any of you read any of C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy (yes, yes, I know it wasn't as popular as the chronicles of Narnia) it has some pretty cool creatures.
The Bahro shall rise once more. All hail the Bahro!
robbieagray

Previous

Return to ERC Age