Try out the Linkevator and Prinpahts

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby The Enlightened » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:20 am

It's a bit grainy but very nice non the less.
The Enlightened

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:21 pm

Update: I've incorporated clickables, and revamped the geometry of the Prin Pahts/nexus. I also incorporated an untextured version of Besharen's pedestal.

Follow the directions in the first post to see the latest. Here's a preview image:

Picture of Prinpahts

The scripts are flexible enough to handle any number of linking books/points in the city and in Prin Pahts/nexus. So, I should be able to reuse it for the final Ahra Pahts version.

The geometry of the Prin Pahts/nexus now contains a higher ledge from which you can see the entire map. Ideally, the walls would be textured, and there would be tunnels cut through the corners. Even more ideally, there would be three bridge spans reaching out toward the center, on which would be the linking pedestal to the upper level of the Hub in the city. Alas, I am not a modeler.

I did add lighting though - red/blue/green for the appropriate district.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby J'anim Paedet » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:42 pm

Very nice! I like the lighting, it adds a whole new level of ambience to the place.

I'm liking the shape it seems to be evolving into. Obviously it isn't finished, but already it's a huge improvement from the first version!
J'anim Paedet

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:10 am

Thanks, J'anim! I really wish I could improve my Blender skills. Otherwise, my shell (111) will look pretty sloppy.

For those that are interested in how the clickables are set up, I posted the blend file and the scripts for download:

* Blend file
* LinkTest01.py - the age-level script; it just sets the background color
* s003Click.py - the Python File Mod for the clickable linking books; the heart of the functionality is here
* s003Globals.py - contains the global Python "dictionaries" that store the name/object pairs for the books and linking points; this is needed so that only one version of each dictionary is shared by all clickable books, instead of a separate copy for each book.

Note: the reason for the "s003" prefix is to follow the scripting conventions for a shell. I'm treating the Prin Pahts/nexus as "shell" 3 (i.e. page 3), which will be located deep below the city. It doesn't have the walls like a regular shell.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Marein » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:15 am

[quote="Robert The Rebuilder"] I'm treating the Prin Pahts/nexus as "shell" 3 (i.e. page 3), which will be located deep below the city. It doesn't have the walls like a regular shell.

You mean it will be like the Maintainers' Nexus?
Marein

Postby Paradox » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:52 am

yes. It will not be its oen seperate Age, but a hidden room under the Age which will allow you to move about the city without linking to a new Age and back again. When you touch the nexus books, your avatar is just warped to the nexus room, and then warped to whatever shell you select.

Yes it's cheating, but it will be a whole lot faster than linking back and forth.
Paradox

Postby Marein » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:03 am

Yeah, that's how the Maintainers' Nexus works, as you will know :)
Marein

Postby J'anim Paedet » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:01 am

... and if Cyan can do it, so can we! :)
J'anim Paedet

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:56 pm

UPDATE: I added a walkway ledge that goes around the entire map room. I added stairs leading up to the walkway, and I placed a spotlight over the center pedestals.

* New picture

Remaining geometry modifications will be the addition of a center platform (which will hold the upper hub level linking pedestal/book) and bridges leading from the ledge to the platform. I'll also add a ladder as a quick way to get up to the platform.

I also plan on redoing the textures of the floor, with a higher resolution texture so that the map doesn't appear so grainy, plus decals of D'ni numerals instead of Arabic. Also, have an overlay of a hexagonal tile pattern.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby zib_redlektab » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:39 pm

This is looking great! I can't wait for the final release :)
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts