Top 5 things you want to do when OS Uru lands.

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Re: Top 5 things you want to do when OS Uru lands.

Postby Karkadann » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:22 pm

Grammer and spelling WHAT

I can 2 spel
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Nadnerb » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:42 pm

Aloys wrote:
Aloys wrote:MOUL already has a much better option for reflections by using DynamicCamMaps. This was used for the K'veer floor in both Myst V and MOUL, and gives accurate reflections based on the position of the camera, not based on a statically rendered EnvMap, or a fixed position DynamicEnvMap.

I didn't remember that, I'll have to reinstall MV to look at Kveer again. (I couldn't attend Kveer in MOUL.. )

You won't find anything. The Kveer in MOUL was greatly improved graphically between MystV and MOUL. You'll have to wait until you can actually run the MOUL content in the MOUL version of the engine itself to see the shiny floors.

As for lighting, I think that it would be fine if dynamic lighting moved to a per-pixel rather than per-vertex model, as this wouldn't affect the static lighting, and would make everything else look better. Improved wavesets and shadows would be cool too. Oh, and what about post effects? We could replace all those lamp sprites with actual bloom. <_<

Personally, I don't have a problem with the KI, and I wouldn't touch that anyway, because it's content, not engine.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Paradox » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:01 pm

For lighting, I would really love a system that attempted some form of primitive raytracing. Shadow casters are slow and painful, and sometimes you just need a wall to prevent the sun from hitting the floor >.<
Paradox

Postby ZURI » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:58 am

I'm probably dreaming here, but I'd like to see SLI/Crossfire support.
MOULagain KI: 45001
ZURI

Postby Aloys » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Nadnerb wrote: Oh, and what about post effects? We could replace all those lamp sprites with actual bloom. <_<

Recently I re-read the wonderful 'From Myst to Riven' book, and one thing that struck me is how they used post processing effects to not only have nice light glares, but also have some specific shaders appear brighter. That's easilly visible on most metals like the Temple island dome. That's pretty subtle but very efficient, and has a low performance impact. If used sparingly in Uru that could add a lot visually..
(*argh*, now I'm dreaming again of a realRiven.. :cry: )

Personally, I don't have a problem with the KI, and I wouldn't touch that anyway, because it's content, not engine.

I wouldn't touch that one even with a ten foot pole. The KI is one of those subjects where most people seem to agree that it needs to be changed yet nobody agrees on how to do actually it..

I'm probably dreaming here, but I'd like to see SLI/Crossfire support
Well, Uru was released 6 years ago; and today any single 50$ graphics card can run it perfectly. :) (Unless you are in the City with 50 avatars in the Tokotah courtyard of course)
Aloys

Postby ZURI » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:14 pm

I'm probably dreaming here, but I'd like to see SLI/Crossfire support
Well, Uru was released 6 years ago; and today any single 50$ graphics card can run it perfectly. :) (Unless you are in the City with 50 avatars in the Tokotah courtyard of course)
[/quote]

True, but having the option would open up a whole range of possibilities for writers. For example, we wouldn't necessarily have to be "Cyan Quality" in our textures, when we would be able to have higher poly meshes. Don't get me wrong, I'm spending a lot of time learning to make my own textures, but the folks at Cyan are amazing artists! The can texture a simple mesh and make it look quite complex. Sorry, but I don't know if I'm that talented!

My brother and I have had an ongoing argument about which game had better graphics, URU or Half Life 2. At the time, URU (in my humble opinion) has better scenic visuals (not talking about avatars here). Problem is, Source has multiprocessor support along with a few other abilities allowing high res texture support - as graphics cards became more powerful. If you run HL2 now with the high res textures, it's stunning.

The thought of playing URU with all the modern goodies makes my skin tingle!
ZURI

Postby keiya » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:31 pm

ZURI wrote:True, but having the option would open up a whole range of possibilities for writers.

Not really. There's some things in fan ages I /already/ can't handle (some water is just invisible for me, for instance. Which is odd, 'cause wavesets do work in other places. Although, there really should be a fallback flat polygon with a water-ish texture anyway, grr.)

I'd generally assume that Uru's being run on hardware that doesn't have heavy-duty graphics processing... not a lot of puzzly games require it, and I don't think that a larger percentage of Uru players will be into things that do than of the general population.

Besides, it's a good laptop game, since it doesn't rely on twitching and remains playable at somewhat lower framerates. Laptop graphics suck.
keiya

Postby Paradox » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:41 pm

keiya wrote:Besides, it's a good laptop game, since it doesn't rely on twitching and remains playable at somewhat lower framerates. Laptop graphics suck.

Thank you for reminding me of the first change that I will be making the moment I am able to download the source: Getting rid of the framerate cap! :P
Paradox

Postby ZURI » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:57 pm

Framerate cap? I ran fraps and am getting about 280 fps in Relto and over 500 in my age. :?
ZURI

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:05 pm

ZURI wrote:Framerate cap? I ran fraps and am getting about 280 fps in Relto and over 500 in my age. :?

In MOUL, you could only get 30 fps.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

PreviousNext

Return to Scripting