Unloading parts of an Age when linking?

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Unloading parts of an Age when linking?

Postby Aloys » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:04 am

If that title didn't make any kind of sense here is what I am trying to know:
I'm interested in customizing Relto; I have added new objects to it before, it's easy to add stuff to an Age on a separate page, but I am also interested in removing stuff from it... (in order to replace it with different stuff). And what I am wondering is whether it is possible to unload some specific objects when linking to an Age.. (drawables, colliders, regions, etc) Note: I am not talking about paging out whole pages (I guess that would be doable) but just specific objects.

Do we have such a fine level of control?
Aloys

Re: Unloading parts of an Age when linking?

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:10 am

I don't know about unloading objects but if you remove their draw and physics it amounts to the same. As you probably know that is what Cyan usually does to make objects appear and disappear. You could do that in a Python file which is called by a pythonfilemod in your own prp.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Aloys » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:18 am

And could that work on linking? For instance if there's is a region triggering this placed right on the linking spot? (So that the object disappear before the scene completely fades in.)
Aloys

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:51 am

If your prp file loads at link in it can execute its Python code immediately in the OnServerInitComplete section. If it loads later then a region could be an option, or you put the code in the OnFirstUpdate section.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Aloys » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:31 am

That's perfect then; thanks for the reply.
That means potentially we can customize our Reltos without constraints.. That's pretty cool. I think I'll execute an old idea of mine then. :)
Aloys

Postby Trylon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:06 am

D'lanor is right, I did something similar for a relto customization a while back.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby diafero » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:35 pm

I also use it in the Offline KI to hide the POTS fog layer when the Sparkly island is present. You have to know the scene object name, of course - and if you have bad luck, the object you want to hide is only part of a scene object. You would then have to hide it completely and re-model the rest in your prp.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Aloys » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:27 pm

diafero wrote:and if you have bad luck, the object you want to hide is only part of a scene object. You would then have to hide it completely and re-model the rest in your prp.

Right, and that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm adding some architecture in the mountain, and I need to get rid of that mountain first.. It's actually made up of a number of rock objects, so I'm hidding them, and recreating parts of them.

[edit] the spoiler code doesn't work anymore?
Aloys

Postby diafero » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:32 pm

So, is that the attempt to build an extension to the hut, to place more linking books there? :D
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Agenotfound » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:35 pm

looks nice
Agenotfound

Next

Return to Scripting