Couple of 3ds Plasma plugin questions

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Couple of 3ds Plasma plugin questions

Postby Jojon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:06 pm

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:<public service announcement>
Just a side note: the list of all age sequence prefixes can be found here. I added 5555 to the list, reserving it for you, TheMagician. For the benefit of everyone reading this thread, please use this link for registering new ages.
</public service announcement>

Does this mean that use of the UAM automated sequence prefix allotment is discouraged?

Hmm, since 55,555 didn't work, should one assume it's 16 bits signed?
-Hmm, I guess not, since there are prefixes in the 100,000's range...
Jojon

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:58 pm

Jojon wrote:
Robert The Rebuilder wrote:<public service announcement>
Just a side note: the list of all age sequence prefixes can be found here. I added 5555 to the list, reserving it for you, TheMagician. For the benefit of everyone reading this thread, please use this link for registering new ages.
</public service announcement>

Does this mean that use of the UAM automated sequence prefix allotment is discouraged?

Hmm, since 55,555 didn't work, should one assume it's 16 bits signed?
-Hmm, I guess not, since there are prefixes in the 100,000's range...

In UU/PotS there are 24 bits, in MOUL there are 16. IIRC. Check libHSPlasma's plLocation implementation for specifics.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby diafero » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:28 am

In UU/PotS there are 24 bits, in MOUL there are 16. IIRC
I think it's 23bit for POTS, since the number is signed (global ages have a negative prefix). Which would make it 15bit for MOUL.

I assume you speak about the ULM database, UAM has no automatic prefix generation. It should still work (since the Alcugs page shows a note that everything above 10,000 could also be used by ULM). I once suggested a small change to the ULM script so that we could definitely say which sequence prefix regions are reserved for the UAM database, but well - the first sequence prefix conflict the ULM database will hit is 14314, an unreleased age by "Isle". The next one is 16858, Abysos by Trylon, and already released. But that'll still be a while.
However, if Cyan's 3ds Max plugin really can only take 4-digit numbers, then you have to use the Alcugs site. ULM prefixes start at 10000.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Trylon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:40 am

If the 3dsm plugin has 15 bit prefix, then 32767 is the maximum value. So the ULM 10000 series should work without problem.
I'll re-export abysos if needed with a different sequence prefix to avoid problems when necessary.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby diafero » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:30 am

I'll re-export abysos if needed with a different sequence prefix to avoid problems when necessary.
Please don't, that will cause trouble for everyone having your age installed, unless you also plan to rename it.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Trylon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:06 am

Well, it's not that good of an age anyway. I should probably get around to remaking it. Might as well rename it and re-assign the prefix
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Jojon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:46 pm

diafero wrote:I assume you speak about the ULM database, UAM has no automatic prefix generation.

Doh! *measures the distance between "A" and "L"* ..and I can't do the "oops, typo" excuse either, damnation... :P

Does anybody know/have_a_good_idea_of why the wordlength was subsequently reduced, by the way? Bits appropriated for some other use? :7
Jojon

Postby Zrax » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:43 pm

Probably so they could put more pages in the ages without overflowing to the next prefix... For example, GlobalAnimations and Pahts both use more pages than would be allowed without such an overflow...

EDIT: As Hoikas says, "Check libHSPlasma's plLocation implementation for specifics."... If you're brave enough, that is ^_^
Zrax

Postby diafero » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:30 am

Trylon wrote:Well, it's not that good of an age anyway. I should probably get around to remaking it. Might as well rename it and re-assign the prefix

That would make it a new age, and I would not really like to loose the old one. Recently had a lot of fun in there :D
Anyway, that's a different discussion. It'll be some years till ULM database reaches 16000.

Back to the PythonFileMods: Where does the plugin get the information about how the parameters are called? Does it automatically read the Python files and extract the ptAttrib* lines? That sounds greats and easy to use, especially when I think about how you set these parameters in PyPRP.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby TheMagician » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:34 am

@agenotfound:
On the first page of this thread you asked about setting up sounds like "NonSpatial Sound", "Random Sound" and "3d Sound".
Have you got them working yet? If not I'd write a short description of how to set them up.

Could you perhaps elaborate a bit on the creation of water? All the commponents you need confuse me.

And did you make any progress with splitting animations into parts? As you said - time tags don't work. Until now all my animation drop-down lists say: (entire animation) - what if I wanted to have an object move up when I enter a region and back down when I exit the region? I guess I'd have to use dummy objects with separate animations.
TheMagician

PreviousNext

Return to Building