The Great Renumbering Plan

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Re: The Great Renumbering Plan

Postby Paradox » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:32 am

I believe all of the LinkInPoints should be in the main city.prp file to ensure that they are always loaded, even with a paging system.
Paradox

Postby Egon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:42 am

Paradox wrote:I believe all of the LinkInPoints should be in the main city.prp file to ensure that they are always loaded, even with a paging system.

Well, I whant to make LinkInPoint, directly to some place in builded Shell.
Does Your statment change something from my end, or are You refering only to LinkPoint to streets?
Egon #2052375
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon
Egon

Postby diafero » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:25 pm

Thanks for the clarification :)

Another thing you may have noted: when decompiling and recompiling the CrtLrgBlue page, it complains about references to the lpc400 scene object (a link in point) that does not exist in the page. We'll need to remove those references.
I don't (yet) have a script to verify this - by "decompiling and recompiling", do you mean
prp file ---prcdc---> XML file ---prcc---> prp file?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Jojon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:25 pm

So we will also rename all files and the elements (objects, materials, etc) they contain, to reflect the shells' page numbers, rather than their "addresses", did I get that right?

Oh and about the range of "static" pages: do we apply to have one of these assigned to us (..or have one assigned through a predefined layout scheme), for development use and then the administarators merge any content sharing page, upon submission/release, or what? :7
Jojon

Postby Paradox » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:33 pm

Egon wrote:
Paradox wrote:I believe all of the LinkInPoints should be in the main city.prp file to ensure that they are always loaded, even with a paging system.

Well, I whant to make LinkInPoint, directly to some place in builded Shell.
Does Your statment change something from my end, or are You refering only to LinkPoint to streets?

I'm referring only to the main city linking points for the Prin Pahts nexus. Adding spawn points to your own shell is perfectly fine (as long as they are within your shell, and don't spill out into the streets)
Paradox

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:36 am

Jojon wrote:So we will also rename all files and the elements (objects, materials, etc) they contain, to reflect the shells' page numbers, rather than their "addresses", did I get that right?

No - we'll keep the shell numbers the same. Think of the shell number as your street address, and think of the page number as some annoying behind-the-scenes attribute that's unrelated.

Jojon wrote:Oh and about the range of "static" pages: do we apply to have one of these assigned to us (..or have one assigned through a predefined layout scheme), for development use and then the administarators merge any content sharing page, upon submission/release, or what? :7

Apply for one of these. We'll dish them out on a first-come, first serve basis. I'll add another Wiki table for these. Right now, Marcello has 11. Which one would you like, Jojon?

[EDIT: added sign-up table here]

Paradox wrote:Adding spawn points to your own shell is perfectly fine (as long as they are within your shell, and don't spill out into the streets)

We need to be careful about this. The problem is that your shell (like the others) is dynamically loaded by the age's Python files according to which linking point you use. If you add a linking point, we'll need to modify the scripts to load in the shells around that point. Plus, the linking point and the collidable surface underneath need to be static; otherwise, Plasma does not have the linking point loaded into memory - or if there is a linking point loaded but no collidable, you'll plunge down into the center of the planet.

So Egon - what would you do? Put your linking point and a surface underneath it into a separate 'static' page; choose a page number from 12-50 (but don't choose the same one as Jojon). Tell me the name of the linking point, and I'll add it to the script. Once we put together all the new age files, you'll be able to directly link to your shell. [In theory... :? ]
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Egon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:30 am

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:So Egon - what would you do? Put your linking point and a surface underneath it into a separate 'static' page; choose a page number from 12-50 (but don't choose the same one as Jojon). Tell me the name of the linking point, and I'll add it to the script. Once we put together all the new age files, you'll be able to directly link to your shell. [In theory... :? ]

Well I though about more universal solution: there are 6 (7 if You include central) districts of the city.
While not give those districts a separate 'static' page for each one?
If somone would like to have some 'static' content in a shell, it would be putted in those pages,
for example by "Rell-To" approach: "send me, send back"TM

The above solution is in assumption that there might quite a lot of poeple which might need some static content, and 39 static pages might be to few in comparing to the number of shells.
Egon #2052375
Egon

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:44 am

We used to have 4 pages allocated for each district center; but that requires separating the district objects into separate pages, which is very work-intensive.

Up until this point, we have avoided multiple people modifying the same Blender file and relying on the page approach for Ahra Pahts. That way, we can have development of the pieces in parallel rather than serially.

You're right: there is potentially a need to have a static page for each shell. There is room for expansion, if needed; pages 91-99, 171-172 and 191-199 are currently unused. However, I'm not too worried about running out. As you can see, we've had many people sign up for shells, but very few have actually been completed.

[EDIT: Removed page 173 from the 'available' list, since shell 223 will need it.]
Last edited by Robert The Rebuilder on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Egon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:15 am

Robert The Rebuilder wrote: However, I'm not too worried about running out. As you can see, we've had many people sign up for shells, but very few have actually been completed.

Well, since one of points of renumbering now is to avoided then more should would be finished, I try to be far seeing :)
Egon #2052375
Egon

Postby diafero » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:34 pm

All this dynamic paging reminds me... is there any plan to use Paradox' system at some point, i.e. vis regions and occluders instead of all this python code?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts