Age Prototype of "Tahwah"

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Re: Age Prototype of "Tahwah"

Postby The.Modificator » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:59 am

Metabasalt1 wrote:As the age is generated does the player have to give a name to the generated age? How is the issue of sequence prefix numbers handled? Does Tahwah handle that, or does the player have to specify a number?

The current implementation just overwrites the old age files. For this reason there is also a problem when the age data files are being replaced while there still are people in the generated age. (Well, the problem actually appears when people with the new data join the ones with the old data.)

Since it would be nice to have some kind of "Tahwah archive" somewhere in the future (I mean something that saves ages that were created in Tahwah), I've already thought of a system that circumvents the sequence prefix number problem... the main idea is a tighter connection between the data server and the game server. I'll have look into this when I'm back from vacation.

Cheers,

Modi
The.Modificator

Postby ddb174 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:52 am

This whole thing brings the image in my mind of some Victorian steampunk machine held together with string and glue and buckets, and it's just awesome :D
ddb174

Postby Godot » Thu May 13, 2010 1:35 pm

Chacal wrote:
Robert The Rebuilder wrote:diafero: The English phrase "behind the scenes" may be what you're looking for.

Actually, I think he means "outside the box".

The.Modificator: This is as awesome as it is scary. As soon as someone starts thinking "hey, this can't possibly work!", it will all crash and burn. :)

(It's the same as with an airliner. If one passenger starts thinking "hey, this thing can't possibly be flying", then it will crash. That's why they distract us with movies during the flight.)

Anyway, this is simply stunning and it opens the door for so many new ideas!

But, what if an explorer uses "Save Age as..." and types "Earth"?
Poof!
:D

BOX? what box? there's a box?
Godot

Postby Egon » Mon May 17, 2010 12:26 pm

@The.Modificator, and others involved:

Are there any chances for releasing source of an age?
I'm mostly interested on Python code which was produced, and try to learn on the code.
Egon #2052375
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon
Egon

Postby sarpedon2 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:47 am

I think Cyan tried something like this, Pirahnay it was called. Sadly I don't think it got developed but it seems quite similar to this in concept.

http://www.dpwr.net/forums/index.php?au ... icle&id=80
sarpedon2

Postby diafero » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:31 am

Interesting, I've never heard of that age.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby The.Modificator » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:09 am

Hi everybody!

First of all: I'm terribly sorry to not have posted for months. As I simply do not have the time to continue my work on this project and due to people asking for source files, I decided to release them.

Unfortunately some of the server-side files are on a server that is currently turned off... and I won't be able to turn it on until March. Therefore I'm not able to release all the source files that I have. The set of client-side files should be complete though.

Since I used 5 different programming (or at least programming-like) languages (SDL, AlcScript, Python, C/C++, PHP, Linux Shell script language), a bunch more file formats in general, and even developed a custom HTTP-based communication protocol, - all for a project that is still just an experiment - my source files are really messy. Please forgive me for that! ;)

You'll find the 7-zip archive in the attachment to this post. Please make sure to read the included license file. The readme files should at least help you a little bit to get started.

Cheers,
The.Modificator
Attachments
tawa.7z
(410.46 KiB) Downloaded 983 times
The.Modificator

Postby diafero » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:39 am

Thanks a lot, Modi :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Egon » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Yeah ;)

Great, and thanks.
Egon #2052375
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon
Egon

Postby greydragon » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:08 pm

sarpedon2 wrote:I think Cyan tried something like this, Pirahnay it was called.

Pirahnay was different. I have to say when I saw this tech my mind was blown. :)

Ryan
greydragon

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Showcase