Ahra Pahts v0.8

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby Aloys » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:35 pm

(Download link is at the end of this post)

At long last here is the new version of Ahra Pahts. :) Getting this version ready hasn't been without troubles, many bugs and lots of time spent. In fact there are still a couple bugs that haven't been ironed out. But for now let's focus on all the new stuff:
  • Of course the main point of this version is that it shows the final shells.
  • Bridges. Hopefully these will make going around the city a little bit easier.
  • Lampposts. What are streets whithout lampposts? Here are some brand new ones.
  • Water has turned to ice. :o Due to environmental and human factors the water in the rivers and canals has turned to ice. We are hard at work to turn it back into water..
  • Sky. The current sky had actually been released previously but only through a minor update that not many people saw. It is now available for all.
  • Many little backstage changes that will make updating the Age easier now.
The Age is still a work in progress and as such there are still features lacking and bugs. Here are the current know ones:
  • Fall through the ground streets. Some streets have collisions issues I have trouble dealing with. Make sure you walk on the sideways and not the street themselves. (Also, having fly mode is always usefull ;) )
  • When you walk on the ice you don't slide.
  • (almost) All of the courtyards are the same. They will change in the next versions.
  • For some reason the footsteps sounds do not work. We are looking into it.
  • You can pass through lampposts. Yet another absurd collision bug.
  • No updates for the hub. We have a new version ready but it hasn't been possible to include it for this release.
That's it for today. You can expect a bugfix version hopefully sometime next week that'll fix those annoying bugs. (in fact you may even want to wait for this version to really enjoy the Age)

>> Download 19mb. (extract in the /dat folder of Uru)
Aloys

Postby Ehren » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:46 am

It looks very good and I like this sky and the bridges but if you link out of the city then go back the textures won't appear until you turn off the game and start it again, you just get a screen of orange.
Ehren

Postby ShadowDude » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:24 am

[quote="Ehren"]but if you link out of the city then go back the textures won't appear until you turn off the game and start it again, you just get a screen of orange.

After reading this I gave it a try and the same thing happened to me every time I linked back into Pahts. How strange... :blink:
ShadowDude

Postby Aloys » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:33 am

Now that is a weird bug.
In all honnestly i have to say I never tried linking out of the city and then back in before.. I have absolutely no idea why that happens..
In fact the Age is loaded, if you turn around you will see the hub is here. And the avatar is standing on solid ground.. But the Age is just not displayed... :blink:

I'll look into that. Thanks for pointing it out. :)
Aloys

Postby zib_redlektab » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:38 pm

actually this happened to me as well with a different age. I think that it might just be a plugin or UAM bug that noone noticed before... :blink:
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby Aloys » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:44 pm

It's odd, I just went through most of the custom Ages to check it and it happens in my test Age (which by definition is a huge mess) I'll look into it but at first sight I'm tempted to blame it on UAM too. What happens is that somehow all pages are loaded but only page one is displayed (the Hub).
Do you remember in which Age you saw it? That might help me narrow down the problem.

I hope the problem doesn't lie in UAM. Because then I might not be able to fix it..
We'll see.
Aloys

Postby Ehren » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:14 pm

It doesn't happen for me in most ages, I have linked in and out of the older version of Pahts fine. I don't know how the age stuff works but was there some update to the tools recently?

The other age it happened with was TheMaze.

http://forum.agebuilder.org/index.php?showtopic=254
Ehren

Postby ShadowDude » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:28 pm

Interesting that this is happening with ages that have only just been released... :huh:

Makes me think it has something to do with the new prp plugin.

Edit: sure enough, the problem exists in Galamay 2.0 as well.
ShadowDude

Postby Aloys » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:12 pm

Indeed, I've exported a test Age with both version of the plugin and it only happens with the new version. Well in a sense this is a good news, that may mean that the problem doesn't come from UAM. Because if it did we wouldn't be able to fix it (with its author being gone).. :ph34r:
Aloys

Postby D'Lanor » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:22 am

I can confirm that the problem does not come from UAM, because I am not using UAM (except for downloads) and it is still happening.

There are unusual entries in the simulation.elf logfile that I have never seen before:

Penetration: Canal02.001 RvrTMP.002
Penetration: Canal02.002 RvrTMP.002
Penetration: Canal02.004 RvrTMP.002
Penetration: SdW.008 RvrTMP.002
Penetration: RvrSdw.003 RvrTMP.002
Penetration: RvrSdw RvrTMP.002
Penetration: RvrSdw.001 RvrTMP.002
Penetration: 2CrtSm1RvrSdw.001 RvrTMP.002
Penetration: 2CrtSm1RvrSdw RvrTMP.002
etc.

Then:

Extremely long update: 454 ms, 6 steps, step len 0.100000, 0 impacts, 0 transforms
Strt003.031
SdW.093
RvrSdw.017
Canal4513.005
Strt003.024
Strt003.047
Strt003.048
Strt003.049
SdW.182
SdW.239
RvrSdw.074
RvrSdw.001