Cursors?

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Cursors?

Postby Aloys » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:26 am

Following the inventory idea I'm keeping with my current 'lost long Myst features' trend and moving on to the cursors. One of the things that was nice in the Myst games, was that the cursor could totally change depending on the circumstances; if you were holding an object, doing a specific action etc.
Would it be possible to change the cursors? Without changing the actual client code, just a good old PRP/Pak mod.
Alternatively: would it be possible to add something next to the cursor? (keep the current cursor but add a texture/GUI that would follow its coordinates)
Aloys

Re: Cursors?

Postby ddb174 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:13 pm

Hmm... not that I know of. I would expect them to be hard-coded. I think it shows the round cursor before any prps are loaded, but I may be mistaken. And I don't think there's anything to sense the position of the mouse(though you can detect when the user has clicked), from a prp perspective, so I think it can't be done without modifying the client.
ddb174

Postby Aloys » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:08 pm

hmm.. too bad.
Why are the simplest ideas always the most difficult to execute?.. :/
Aloys

Postby Paradox » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:57 pm

Uru's cursors cannot be changed, they are stored as bitmap resources in the exe. This is one reason that they are so broken in wine, because they have to be drawn as bitmaps with alpha rather than as a texture. This is also partly so that Cyan can add the mouseover text for avatars (although there are other ways of doing this).
Paradox

Return to Scripting