Pedestal

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby J'anim Paedet » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:29 pm

Personally, I like #2 best. Simple, but still with some curves. But I do like all of them, in their own ways.
J'anim Paedet

Postby Aloys » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:18 pm

I agree that's a bit too much, however I like the version with only the top curves. But as you said "If we do have them inlaid, it might be better to just have the curves part of the texture and cut down on objects".
The number of polygons ('polycount') should be a constant concern in this Age more than any other. That isn't to say we should have everything look like a cube, but whenever we can spare some polygons let's do it. :) (That would make an interesting journal entry: 'performance & polycounts')
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:18 pm

Wonderful work, Besharen!

My preference is for #2 "Just the top curves".
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Besharen » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:30 pm

Ok, I agree with you guys that 2 is the best. We’ll use that one.

I have another idea for the pedestals in the nexus. Since we’re having several of them together, it may not look good if they are all exactly the same. I was thinking about how we could make them different…and I remembered that the city has different coulour-coated districts.

I’m thinking we could change the fabric texture for the pedestals in the different districts. I just manipulated the texture in Photoshop. Here are some preliminary renders:

Red

Blue

Green

White

This would just add some diversity to the pedestals so they don’t all look the same.
Besharen

Postby Mystified Explorer » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:01 pm

That looks great! I agree with the colour thing - itll help me to tell what district Im in LOL :P
Mystified Explorer

Postby ShadowDude » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:10 pm

Those really do look amazing...

Now all you need is a book to put on them ;)
ShadowDude

Postby Paradox » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:47 am

Great idea to have the textures match the districts. It'll make everything fit in so much more nicely.

Plus, it might stop people from wandering around a district wondering which one it is :P
Paradox

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:55 am

That's a great idea, Besharen!

And regarding ShadowDude's book comment: would you be able to put together a book model before leaving on vacation? Do you happen to have one made already?

Right now, in my test nexus/prin pahts, I just use a polygon with a book texture on it. Pretty ugly.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:42 am

I agree about the different textures for each district. We had thought about doing that for the shells at some point, but it was just too much work. :(

About book, I agree they will definitely be needed.
Aloys

Postby Besharen » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:05 am

Unfortunately, I only have three days left until I leave for vacation. In that time, I plan to finish the new textures (with the curves part of the texture), export it to Blender and re-texture it. I’m hoping to be able to send it off to Robert and Aloys before I leave.

As a result, I will not have any time to make a book. I could make one when I get back if it still isn’t done, but that won’t be until September.
Besharen

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts