ULM website broken?

Announcements and discussion regarding Trylon's Uru Library Manager

ULM website broken?

Postby Rabenschwinge » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:20 am

I tried to obtain some more age prefixes from the ULM website, but it seems to be broken - does anyone know, what´s wrong with it?
Rabenschwinge

Re: ULM website broken?

Postby diafero » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:40 am

Which one do you use? There was an address change some time ago.

Alternatively you can get sequence prefixes at http://alcugs.almlys.org/ListOfSequencePrefixes . If you do not have an account at those forums yet, you can get one at http://forum.almlys.org/ucp.php?mode=register or PM me and I will add your age to the list.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Rabenschwinge » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:25 am

Thank you for your quick response! :)

I use http://ulm.wolfshire.co.uk/ - I have an account there, it did work last time I did it, so I´m confused right now.
It seems now, that I don´t stay logged in - after I log in, everytime I link to another sub-page of the website, I have to log in again.
I´ve checked my cookie-settings, they seem to be okay (tried it with Firefox AND with IE 6.0, both with the same result)

It´s not so urgent, I just wanted to register another 5 prefixes, so I have some more as a reserve; I don´t really need any in the next few days (I still have 2 prefixes without an age).

I know about the alcugs-list, I´ve edited it myself already to post my ages. I just thought, ULM is safer because it is automatic - I fear that people use prefixes which are not posted in the alcugs Wiki... so I never can be sure, a prefix I choose isn´t already in use. I like to be on the safe side, obviously :lol:
Rabenschwinge

Postby Chacal » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:09 am

On the other hand, with tools such as Drizzle and libPlasma, it is now trivial to change the sequence prefix of an Age, should a conflict occur.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:25 am

I have the same problem so it must be on the ULM site's end.

Shouldn't this topic be in the ULM forum? If Trylon is around he will probably notice it sooner there.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby ddb174 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:05 am

Yes, as Chacal says, it is no longer a huge huge deal if there is a sequence prefix conflict, because Drizzle is capable of changing the sequence prefix. In fact, there are several Ages in UAM that have had this done to them. So if a problem is found, an Age can be re-released with a new prefix even if the source files have been lost.
ddb174

Postby dendwaler » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:15 am

Is there not a way to let drizzle automaticly verify the sequence numbers in the "dat" directory and change the doubles at every start?
Then we would not need the system as it is now.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby ddb174 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:44 am

You can verify that there are no sequence prefix conflicts with the Misc->RunTests button in Drizzle. Automatically changing them could cause troubles though, because it is not clear with one should be changed, and it *might* fail. So it's probably better that people tell me if there is a conflict, and I fix it and put the fix in UAM.
ddb174

Postby dendwaler » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:58 am

Ok, thx,
did not know that.
But this is a good way to handle this.

I was thinking,
is it necessary that the client has the same prefixes as the server side when it already checks on the age name.
But I am no programmer, forgive me if I am naive.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby ddb174 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:00 pm

Yes, for shards the sequence prefixes must be the same on both the server and client. It's not naive, don't worry :)
ddb174

Next

Return to Uru Library Manager