D'ni maintainer helmet as clothing?

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

D'ni maintainer helmet as clothing?

Postby Aloys » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:12 pm

I have an idea for a puzzle where it would be very neat to use that helmet as a temporary head protection system.
Do we know if it is theoretically possible to use a Maintainer helmet in an Age as a piece of custom clothing? (As opposed to the full maintainer suit.)
Better: do we know if it is possible to remove it after you have put it on? Right now to remove a piece of clothing you have just acquired you need to go back to your Relto closet; can we avoid that? Would it be possible to manualy trigger the removal of a such piece of clothing? If you can put a hat on, surely you can remove it too.
It would allow for such 'temporary' clothing items and that'd allow for newer types of puzzles..
Last edited by Aloys on Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aloys

Re: D'ni maintainer helmet as clothing?

Postby diafero » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:09 am

Yes, both is definitely possible. Taking it off will be a bit harder as the helmet replaces the hair style, which has to be saved and restored, but it's doable.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Aloys » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:25 am

Interesting, that's good to know. :)
I have no idea how to actually do it; but if it is possible then I'll definitely validate that idea in the Age.
Aloys

Postby semplerfi » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:57 am

It has been a very long time and I can not remember the details but, in UU I thought the suit and or helmet could be toggled with an AdminKi. The one thing I do remember is you had to go to your closet to get the AdminKi changes to stick. If you did not you would loose them on log out.

The Slacker's AdminKi had the most options of any AdminKi if I remember right.

One other thing that just came to mind was the suit toggled with AdminKi had no Reto book or was it no Ki (sorry can't remember) where as the suit aquired through the Wall Nexus was complete.
semplerfi

Postby Aloys » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:10 am

I do remember that, many people used it at the time. But what I'm thinking of is doing that in a regular Age that will not require a AdminKi or OfflineKi. Just a regular Age made of PRPs and Paks that can be installed through UAM.
Aloys

Postby ddb174 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:28 pm

I think the various parts of the Maintainers' suit are different clothing items in the vault, so it is possible in principle, yes. (Though the code to do so would be a little dangerous, because of the vault modifications. But what's danger :D)
ddb174

Postby diafero » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:20 am

Actually I don't think it would be that dangerous, seeing /suitup already does not give you the full suit, but leaves the helmet away. There is extra code in the closet to make sue that when you put up one part of the suit, all the others are added, too - it's like a "compound clothing" (the mantle you find in Myst is also of such kind), but the composition is not done on engine or clothing level, but purely in the Python. If you directly access the Avatar clothing item functions (no need do go into the vault), the engine does not mind you wearing only parts of such a "compound".
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Return to Scripting