Yeah...but what does it SOUND like? (and more new stuff!)

Uru Localization Project

Yeah...but what does it SOUND like? (and more new stuff!)

Postby OHB » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:31 am

Sometimes reading isn't enough. So, I've added text to speech!

Right now it's on the folder and large item list pages. It isn't yet on the page where you do the actual translations.
Just click the little 'Play' icon (the site's first image!) next to the block you'd like to hear.

All of the languages that have started to be translated are supported with the exception of Klingon.
Only a couple sound horrible - but not nearly as horrible as Microsoft Sam.
Most of them sound really good!

And, on the translation page I added a "View Google Translation" option to get an in-line computer generated translation.
Just remember that the point of the ULP is not to use computer translations. But feel free to use it as a tool.
Using it as a starting point, or to look up a word is perfectly acceptable. It might even be perfect for one-word translations like the stuff under Clothing.

Oh, and the site has an updated style thanks to IronMagma. Let me know if you like it.

These features are brand new as of today...if you get any errors or funky behavior, please let me know.

http://uru.orangehairedboy.com/localization

And since Text-to-Speech isn't available for Klingon... Show Spoiler
OHB

Re: Yeah...but what does it SOUND like? (and more new stuff!

Postby Silent Warrior » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:25 am

Ah, so THAT'S what's up with those little icons! Cool, though I haven't found myself in any situation yet where I'd need text-to-speech.

The integration of Google Translate is handy, but it seems to break on longer bits of texts - feeding it a journal entry from Kings tends to give the following output: 'Undefined'.

Plowing ever on...
Silent Warrior

Re: Yeah...but what does it SOUND like? (and more new stuff!

Postby OHB » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:32 am

Silent Warrior wrote:The integration of Google Translate is handy, but it seems to break on longer bits of texts - feeding it a journal entry from Kings tends to give the following output: 'Undefined'.

Fixed! For some reason Google puts the translated text in a field called translated_text, and sometimes in a field called translatedText. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which appears when. But, both are supported now. :)
OHB

Return to GULP