Aquh - The Memorial Age

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Re: Aquh - The Memorial Age

Postby I.Brattin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:01 am

Because it meant redoing more then just one thing. The Volcano, that's what I call the area surrounding the ground cause it sorta looks like the edge of a volcano from high up. Anyways the Volcano is not connected to the ground, their two separate meshes. It would mean modeling another item all over again. Not a task I wanted to do, especially after I redid the ground.

Believe me when I say I would have to redo that entire mesh from scratch. I have tried just modifying the current mesh, to where you couldn't get over the humps, but it looked downright awful when I was done. I might redo it from scratch sometime in the future if I feel like it, right now its not a pressing concern.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
Jayden Halliwell (IC Explorer) - 54404
I.Brattin

Postby ZURI » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:38 pm

Unfortunately, a complete remodel is sometimes neccessary. I myself am in a simlar situation, where one of my age terrains will have to be rebuilt from scratch. But, that's part of the learning process...

Just do what you can, then apply that knowledge toward your future projects. ;)
MOULagain KI: 45001
ZURI

Postby I.Brattin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:19 pm

Actually its not that hard to do. I usually use Bryce for my terrains. Its more just time consuming then anything, having to model it, then export from Bryce, and then import into either Blender or Max.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
I.Brattin

Postby ZURI » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:41 pm

In my case it's not quite that simple. The mesh itself has to be built a certain way, for blends, holes, optimization, etc. At the time the mesh was made, my understanding of how the Pros do it was relatively poor. In the meantime, I've been doing my homework - and realize my follies. I plan to custom build the terrain in a deliberate manner. During my time here, I've found that I can save time (in the long run) by doing most things by hand.

Just a thought.
ZURI

Postby Lontahv » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:33 am

I'd like to add a bit to what ZURI said because I think terrain is an important topic. A terrain mesh always works out better when it contains mesh loops. Just think of a topographical map, but with all the concentric circles connected to the adjacent circles by faces. I've found the mesh to be much more workable with the organization of mesh, rather than having a subdivided plane with the heightmap applied. All that said, sometimes a grid-like mesh is all you need for a terrain. ;) I'd say that everything depends on how important the mesh is in your age. If a terrain is not scenery (you are able to walk on it) it should be modeled by hand. This is because it is much easier to texture custom models.

Keep in mind that this is just advice, if you have a method that's producing good results, stick with by all means. :)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby ZURI » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:04 am

@Lontahv,

Thank you for going into a bit more detail. I guess my post was too much of a generalization. To add a bit more to this: I also have found it's good to hand-build the terrain meshes so the poly count is much lower. This is also Very handy when it comes to adding textures. If you build your terrain meshes around the textures you plan to use - you can optimize the mesh specifically for those textures. This is so you can add shadows and other details where you want them to be (not to mention less processing is needed to render the mesh(es). (I hope this is what you mean't Lontahv).
ZURI

Postby Lontahv » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:20 pm

I meant that It's easier to use things like stencils and alpha vertex paint, and easier to unwrap the mesh. However, you're right about it giving you control to add detail where you want them. :)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby I.Brattin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:54 pm

I do agree that hand modeling a mesh is better. In the next release of Chamassa you will see a hand modeled terrain.

The Caldera in Aquh while is one generated by Bryce took me an hour to work on. I would go in and edit it and turn around and delete it. I had Bryce create new terrain several times, and I edited it several times before I got it just right.

If I had more time, at the time I did all that, I would have hand modeled it instead. That is why I use Bryce, it is quicker when I am running low on time.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
I.Brattin

Postby I.Brattin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Today is the day of a new release of Aquh.

Version 1.0

You can get it Here.....
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
I.Brattin

Postby ZURI » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:04 pm

From what I can see, your terrain isn't that bad. It could probably be fixed relatively easily (yet time consuming). Your models are very detailed and intricate. There's quite a bit of clipping on the structures, but that can be fixed.

What you really need is some texture work. If you search the net for Public Domain textures, you'll find a great supply. :) Worse comes to worst, send me a PM. I don't have a ton of time to spare, but this is a noble age. I might be able to help out a little.
ZURI

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Showcase