ULP - Request changes NOW or forever hold your peace!

Uru Localization Project

ULP - Request changes NOW or forever hold your peace!

Postby OHB » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:29 pm

So, I'm making changes all over the place. They aren't active yet - I'm still testing.
I'm trying to decide what's good, what's bad, what needs to stay, what needs to go, etc.

The questions I have up-front are:
  • Does anyone use the profiles? Why/why not?
  • In the profiles, you can click to see a list of all the translations that person has done.
    Has anyone even seen that before? Anyone use it? Couldn't care less?

Other than that, PLEASE use this opportunity to speak your mind. I'm up to making any changes I can. So, tell me that something sucks and give suggestions how to improve things. What functionality do you wish it had? What changes would you make?

Aaaaaaaaand go.
OHB

Re: ULP - Request changes NOW or forever hold your peace!

Postby P'skhal » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:46 am

Personally, I think the site is functional.
Maybe is it needfull to add a mail notification when a comment is sent (I am not found of Facebook ;) )

I do use profiles, mainly to know what contributors like or not, and what they had won.

In any case, thank you for this great tool. :)
P'skhal

Postby Christian Walther » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:02 pm

I’m quite happy with the current state including the upcoming changes like the news feed (and more project manager functionality like editing templates, adding items, editing item parameters).

I used the profiles to look for contact information to contact contributors privately (e.g. invite them to beta testing). I like the inclusion of the MOUL forum name for that. (I’d like e-mail addresses even better, but I understand that most people prefer not to give them out.)

I think I’ve been granted enough wishes lately (I tell you folks, live testing with OHB is cool – you make a suggestion, and seconds later it is implemented and works!) – but if you insist, I can think of some more :):
  • When there’s no winning translation yet and several proposed ones have the same score, export the newest of them (currently it’s the oldest).
  • The capability of comments/discussion not only on proposed translations (language-specific, disappears when the proposal is replaced or loses), but also on items (visible for all languages, stays with the item – e.g. discussion when the context of an item is unclear) or even whole projects (for project-wide discussion like this – although I guess that can also stay on the forum).

E-mail notifications would be nice, but they would have to be aggregated – one e-mail per news feed item is too much traffic. When someone adds a new language, they maybe translate 100 items in 2 hours, and I don’t want to get 100 e-mails for that.
Christian Walther

Postby Charura » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Geez..if it ain't broke...don't try to fix it....til next month..sry could not resist that one
Gehn Shard avvies: charura 10827 chickopee 142711 cannon belle 144577 char gearz 149794 teri dactyl 153077
Moul(a) Charura 55400 Chickopee 20089892 Cannon Belle 13686512 Char Gearz 706359 Teri Dactyl 12658065
Charura

Postby Floydman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:23 pm

I wish there was away in your profile to see all other people who translate into the same language(s). Other than like, I like the simplistic approach that exists right now.
Floydman

Postby OHB » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:28 pm

P'skhal wrote:Maybe is it needfull to add a mail notification when a comment is sent (I am not found of Facebook ;) )

Christian Walther wrote:E-mail notifications would be nice, but they would have to be aggregated – one e-mail per news feed item is too much traffic.

Yep, that's coming. I'm thinking something like a "Daily Activity" email thing.
Note: the feeds are not PART of Facebook - but I'm a terrible designer so I did take inspiration in terms of site layout.

P'skhal wrote:I do use profiles, mainly to know what contributors like or not, and what they had won.

OK. I'll make those pages better - I quite dislike the current ones.

Christian Walther wrote:I used the profiles to look for contact information to contact contributors privately (e.g. invite them to beta testing).

New profiles people will be able to list a website and there's a block for listing anything you want - contact information included.

Christian Walther wrote:I like the inclusion of the MOUL forum name for that.

Actually, that's going to change to GoW forum name. :)

Christian Walther wrote:(I’d like e-mail addresses even better, but I understand that most people prefer not to give them out.)

How about the ability to send people messages instead? That way their email address isn't on the site?
And for Project Managers (like yourself), I'll make a screen where you can send messages to everyone working on your project and let you filter by language.

Christian Walther wrote:(I tell you folks, live testing with OHB is cool – you make a suggestion, and seconds later it is implemented and works!)

I'm awesome like that.

Christian Walther wrote:When there’s no winning translation yet and several proposed ones have the same score, export the newest of them (currently it’s the oldest).

On the list!

Christian Walther wrote:The capability of comments/discussion not only on proposed translations...but also on items (visible for all languages, stays with the item – e.g. discussion when the context of an item is unclear) or even whole projects (for project-wide discussion like this – although I guess that can also stay on the forum).

Yeah, that's why the forums are here. I understand where you're coming from on this, however. I will look into ways to do this. This one isn't a guarantee.

Charura wrote:Geez..if it ain't broke...don't try to fix it....til next month..sry could not resist that one

LULZ. The ULP just turned a year old...I think I've waited long enough!!!

Floydman wrote:I wish there was away in your profile to see all other people who translate into the same language(s).

There is a new page that I completed yesterday that lets you find other users by language or location.

Floydman wrote:I like the simplistic approach that exists right now.

I agree 100%...and I want to keep it that way. If anything, I'm attempting to make things even simpler while retaining the functionality...and even adding some. The site isn't as simple as it was when it first went online. Especially of the first few months, new features were added all the time...to the point that a lot of the pages are kinda cluttered (especially the page where you submit translations - I HATE that one right now). So, actually taking a moment to consider layout and design I think will make a world of difference. But, it won't be radical changes.

Here's another sneak-peak at coming attractions -> http://imgur.com/a/APbIX

What's with the avatars?
They're gravatars. You won't get to upload an avatar for the ULP...that would require me to write more code! And, why re-invent the wheel? :) So, you can prepare ahead of time by getting a Gravatar here -> gravatars. You just sign-up with the same email address you use for the ULP and like magic, your avatar will appear on the ULP and any other websites that use Gravatars.
OHB

Postby OHB » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:36 pm

Does anyone use the text to speech?
OHB

Postby ametist » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:34 am

I just tried it for the Swedish translation but it's not really that good, the pronounciation of many words are quite bad actually.
ametist

Postby Kana » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:43 am

* Does anyone use the profiles? Why/why not?
* In the profiles, you can click to see a list of all the translations that person has done.
Has anyone even seen that before? Anyone use it? Couldn't care less?

I usually check my Profile when I log into ULP, but I didn't know that I can see other person's profile page.
I need this page to check comments people sent to my translations for now, but I don't think I will see other person's profile page much. I will if I see unfamiliar name.

And below are things I think I want to do.
1.See once "lost" item and vote for it maybe. (I think it's better to leave all translations until the project is completed, unless one intentionally deletes his/her own ones.)
2.Post multiple translations for one item to have others to determine which is the best.
3.Correct(Edit) the translation I've posted. (Votes may go back blank, but comments remain.)
Kana

Postby OHB » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:53 am

Kana wrote:I need this page to check comments people sent to my translations for now

There will be a new much more awesome way to do this coming soon!

Kana wrote:1.See once "lost" item and vote for it maybe. (I think it's better to leave all translations until the project is completed, unless one intentionally deletes his/her own ones.)

I'm not entire sure what you mean. Can you explain this?

Kana wrote:2.Post multiple translations for one item to have others to determine which is the best.

That's a great idea. I will add that.

Kana wrote:3.Correct(Edit) the translation I've posted. (Votes may go back blank, but comments remain.)

This is potentially a great idea. I'll have to think about it to see how it might work.
OHB

Next

Return to GULP