Concerning the Alcugs wiki

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Re: Concerning the Alcugs wiki

Postby semplerfi » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:23 pm

semplerfi

Postby Karkadann » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:52 pm

as long as where getting off topic
Cat Zeppelin - immigrant song

Hay Semp, are artist realy temperamental or is that just some unsubstantiated rumor

Or

Artistic temperament... sometimes seems a battleground, a dark angel of destruction and a bright angel of creativity wrestling. When the bright angel dominates, out comes a great work of art, a Michelangelo David or a Beethoven symphony. (Madeleine L'Engle)

Or

The artist at their best – wild, passionate, rebellious, and human – is often too large and truthful a creature for society's taste. The artist at thier most outlandish – profane, eccentric, even a little mad – is at least as disquieting a figure. (Eric Maisel)
Last edited by Karkadann on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Chacal » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:48 am

I agree with Adam, let's keep censorship to a minimum and trust the community members' common sense.
In theory, this is a public forum and children could be reading this, but in fact very few people are interested in our rantings.
And if kids are reading it, well, they will hear those words in the real world anyway. Better for the parents to explain to them what they are and why some people use them.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Calena » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Good question. There are no written rules, mostly because I feel that each post should really be considered on a case by case basis (and some common sense ought to be used). Hot-button topics require a slightly different approach than post about how to script a linking book, in my opinion anyway. If there is a desire for written rules, then I can attempt to provide some general guidelines in the future. For now, as far as language goes, let's keep it to US daytime TV acceptable*. The occasional profane term (like the ones you mentioned) isn't something I'm going to crack down on, but any f-bombs or posts that exist purely for the sake of dropping expletives will be taken care of as soon as I see them. If you or anyone else is recommending this site to younger individuals and need to make some input, fire off that PM. I do at least read and remember the PMs I receive.

* You know, back when I was growing up, there was almost NO profanity on TV. Boy has that changed.

That seems reasonable. If I'm understanding this correctly, if we do notice an all-out dog/cat fight igniting (i.e. get out the popcorn and sit back), we can send you a PM and you will use common sense and decide to either close the discussion or suggest everyone step back and cool off?

And if an individual vents here or there, we're free to use one of these :roll: , but otherwise let it go unless their language gets to a certain level. Now I have to watch some daytime TV. I don't watch TV hardly ever :? . Oh yeah, common sense. I can do that.
Galatians 2: 20-21

"Don't mess with me today. I have my CAPS LOCK key and I know how to use it!"
Calena

Postby Falke » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Shorah to all,

I am reading all this ...

and I am wondering.

What happens?

Dustin has shown to us his point of view. And, if someone will take a closer look to, some of his marks will be observable.

And yes, I know that diafero had done things that he should not had done. (sorry for my english)

I am still trust Dustin. I know that he now has taken his own way. Without the uru community. And thats o.k. It is his way.

If all these other things he has written about are the truth than it might be a good idea to start to discuss about the way of the uru's in all. I believe that the feel of power will deform the democracy. And if "our" world are a piece of it, than we will be affected.

May we can discus things like this without bad words. They are realy not necessary. I believe.

Falke

PS: Again sorry for my english, it is not my mother tongue.
http://www.zwischen-handy-und-guavensaft.de - Ein etwas anderer Erfahrungsbericht über das Leben in Kairo.
Fortsetzung http://www.aegyptische-pralinen.de - Viel Vergnügen beim Lesen
A U F A R S - at http://www.aufars.de/uru-ages/
Falke

Postby Nadnerb » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:02 pm

I don't quite understand why I've been quoted right alongside kaelis' boiling-rage-insults. I really don't see any other word available for expressing what I intended with the appropriate emphasis. "Being correct does not give you the right to be a rude, abrasive, and generally insufferable person." doesn't seem to have the same ring to it. To be honest, I was hearing the word "asshole" thrown around when I was in the 1st grade, and it's probably the least offensive general insult I can think of. I could take the silly route that seems to have been paved by the slackers and say "asshat", but it boils down to the same thing, and I don't see it as being any different from the original word in the end. Kaelis, on the other hand, seems to be striving to be as rude as possible while staying within whatever unwritten rules this forum may or may not have.

On that topic, your bringing this up seems to me to come off as an attempt to impose some kind of restriction on the content of this forum by way of a sort of passive threat to tell parents to keep their kids away from the place. In my opinion, shielding children from the vaguely taboo doesn't necessarily result in any particular betterment of the resulting adult, and this constant "won't somebody think of the children" thing has really gone overboard in many ways. Nevertheless, that's neither here nor there, and won't get me any points from some people. Typically though, this kind of discussion isn't likely to happen in the more technical resource oriented sections of the forum, so perhaps you could just keep the virgin ears away from the more free-range sections of this forum, (such as general, off-topic, and news) as they're the typical drama feeding grounds anyway. At least, until there are more detailed rules to lean on.

The point I was getting at before was that if you believe that you can be an asshole to anyone who is wrong, then you will naturally be an asshole to everyone who disagrees with you in any way, and whether the truth is really on your side becomes irrelevant, because, honestly, how often do you believe that you are wrong? I think this is important because it's essentially the reason I've given up on the irc network here that I used to feel comfortable in: that the people there seem to accept this kind of mentality, or at least don't challenge it actively enough.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby diafero » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:06 am

@Falke: "Truth" is a vague thing. In my eyes, leaving away important parts of the truth, in an attempt to defame someone, is not "telling the truth". Actually, the way Dustin even starts his announcement (revealing my full real name), the only category I can put this into is "personal attack". There absolutely is no point in going through a rant written in that style, point by point - that's commonly called "do not feed the troll".

So I ask everyone to think calmly about what they read, and not to take anything Dustin or Hoikas or me writes just "for granted" because the person telling you about it claims to tell you the truth. If you are interested in my view on a certain incident, just email me. Dustin's view is just one side, and it is as wrong as my view, which is another side. Also remember that actions speak more than words.

And yes, I know that diafero had done things that he should not had done. (sorry for my english)
Let me reply with a famous quote:
"He That Is Without Sin Among You, Let Him First Cast a Stone"
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Itep Edor » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:19 pm

My name is Itep Edor. Some of you may know me, others not, it is the same for me.
I was there when Uru live first started, I had an invitation from Zandy and I was also there when Cyan pulled the plug for the first time. I shared the great sadness then.
Suddenly out of nothing somebody called Almlys came and claimed he had written a plugin so we could export ages written in Blender to Uru! It was like a miracle! And soon after someone called Dustin came with the first version of Uru Age Manager, aka UAM, so we could play our ages in Uru. At that time they made me the happiest person on earth! And even I had no idea about 3D-programms or coding, I started to write my first age, Janga. I was among the first who did so.

So in my eyes I doubt, if anyone of us would be here, doing what we are doing, without them!

One reason why I wanted to be a member of the Uru community was the way they treated each other, so respectful, so helpful. I remember the good times we had creating ages, discovering them together and so many other fantastic things we did way back. And all of this was possible because the people were just willing to do so. So many people put such an effort in this project so it could last for such a long time. And all of them deserve respect for the good things they did.

But many things changed and many good people left the game, the community and the forums.

I think even if we have different opinions we should not lose respect for each other and treat each other that way! I think that there are words that should not been said or written, no matter where you can hear or read them. This is a matter of education and manners.
And it is not only for the children, it is as well for us. It offends me too, when I have to read such expressions about people I like.
In my eyes discussions like this shouldn’t be discussed in public, because they lead to flaming postings. The involved persons should “solve” their problem private or seek help from friends. Sometimes I have the feeling that there are people around, just waiting to express their (bad) opinions about others in the public. I see from both involved persons things, which could have been done better. But I am not judging it is just my opinion.
I write this because I have respect for both, Dustin and diafero and it makes me sad, when I see, how things came out between them.

I ask myself, if we will continue for a long time when we will continue like this?
Itep Edor

Postby Karkadann » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:54 pm

Perhaps we can use this as a turning point, if what was said by those involved was true it does not mean it has to continue.
I have found both sides of this situation have technical info that that the other does not and it has been very helpful to a lot of people,
they all have talent the others do not, together they could have done wonderful things, but at this point I do not know.

how someone acted or reacted in the past does not always determent how someone will act in the future.
People can and do change, can we take that opportunity away from someone because of their bad judgment.
and bad judgment is something I think we are all guilty of at one point and may be again.

Perhaps we should start treating others as we would have them treat us.
One day the situation may be reversed and it may not be as much fun to be at the receiving end of what you did to another
Just some food for thought
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Previous

Return to Guild News