Could Col_FlagsN Accept integers, and strings?

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Postby Branan » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:34 pm

I've started work on the GUI for the properties page, and I've hit kind of a snag. Converting numbers to a hex string is slow. Especially in an interpreted language. Doing this everytime someone changes something is not on my list of Ways to Make the Script Faster. I was wondering if perhaps one of the devs could allow the script to accept integers, as well as strings. The Integer path would make export faster, as well, since you don't have to convert it back to an integer afterwards.

Just a thought. Also, dumping any coding onto the main script developers, and not me, is alwys a good thing :P (just kidding. You guys are way to awesome to do that to)

EDIT: This would also apply to anything else that's really a number, but gets entered as a string... page_num, col_type, footstepsound, and the afforementioned col_flagsN. I think that's all of them.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:35 am

Sorry for the late reply; I just now noticed this post.

Yes, there are many properties which would make much more sense as integers instead of strings. The code would need to support both, namely because of the existing ages out there that use strings for those properties. We'll add that to the ever-growing to-do list. ;-)

Exception: col_flagsN - these are hexidecimal values. Since Blender does not have a "hex" property type, string is the natural choice for these properties.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Return to Plasma Development