changing avatar coupled sounds

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

changing avatar coupled sounds

Postby dendwaler » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:33 pm

I would like to change the footstep sounds for a new environment not supported yet.
Is this possible without changing it for all the existing ages.
How can this been done?
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Re: changing avatar coupled sounds

Postby diafero » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:44 pm

Footstep sounds are defined in the Avatar "pseudo"-age. So unfortunately you can not add footsteps without changing those prp files.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby dendwaler » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:57 pm

thats pity, i hoped it would be at least possible to lead it through a "filter" as common in many soundcards.(was it not eax?)
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Jojon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:02 pm

Aaaw, sad to hear that. I should have some walking-though-dry-leaves recordings, somewhere, that I would have liked to use.

If nobody can think of a safe workaround, maybe it might be worth beginning to collect a wishlist for additional "built-in" surface types, for the day when somebody feels like biting into the relevant source, to add more, along, perhaps with a way to add custom ones. :P
Jojon

Postby dendwaler » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:10 am

Yes, i have another sound related issue for a wishlist.

When playing in third person , you are not really another person , stalking your own Avatar.
It is just a way to get another overview.
What I personaly find disturbing is the fact that not only my eyes but also my ears seams to be glued to the camera instead of hearing the sound as the avatar does.
This makes it nearly impossible to make good sound related puzzles.
The real source of the sound can only be found in first person view.
Soft sound sources can not be heard in the third person because the camera is somewhere, unpredictable else,
and following a different path then the actual Avatar.
So in most cases you will completely miss the relevant information.

dendwaler

Postby Christopher » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:25 am

I think there is something like a first-person-overwrite, so you can force your avatar to use the first person, if he enters the softregion of the sound.

Christopher
Christopher

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:25 am

Christopher wrote:I think there is something like a first-person-overwrite, so you can force your avatar to use the first person, if he enters the softregion of the sound.

Christopher

Many people hate being forced out of their favorite view. That practice might makes sense for close up views like control panels, although even then I prefer to toggle the view myself.

Apparently in the internal client we have console commands which should do exactly what dendwaler wants:
  • Listener.UseCameraOrientation (Use the camera's orientation to orient the listener)
  • Listener.UseCameraPosition (Use the camera's position to position the listener)
  • Listener.UseCameraVelocity (Use the camera's velocity to set the listener velocity)
  • Listener.UsePlayerOrientation (Use the player's orientation to orient the listener)
  • Listener.UsePlayerPosition (Use the player's position to position the listener)
  • Listener.UsePlayerVelocity (Use the player's velocity to set the listener velocity)
  • Listener.XMode (Sets velocity and position to avatar, and orientation to camera)
The first 3 settings must be the defaults. Of the others I think XMode would be the most useful setting. In the console you use it as follows: Listener.XMode true
At least it was accepted like that without raising an error. However, I did not hear an immediate difference (and I did not stay in game long enough to make sure). Edit: I just went back in and this time I found a spot where it did make a difference!

Many console commands can be executed in an ini or fni file while the game starts, but not this one unfortunately. Doing so only makes Uru crash (both MOULa and Uru:CC). So it seems you can only set this in-game. Perhaps in the fni file of your age (although it may crash there as well). And would it revert to defaults when the player links out?
Bah, why are there so many things about Plasma we don't know...

Edit 2: Well, I guess we'll have to use Python again to handle this. ;)
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:17 am

Yep, triggering XMode with Python seems to work. :D Its shows up in the audio log file as being turned on and off at the right moments.

In the main Python file of your age put this under OnFirstUpdate:

Code: Select all
    def OnFirstUpdate(self):
        PtConsole('Listener.XMode true')

And this goes under __del__:

Code: Select all
    def __del__(self):
        PtConsole('Listener.XMode false')

N.B. Tested only in Uru:CC for now.

Edit: If this does not produce the desired result you could also try to turn on XMode under OnServerInitComplete which comes after OnFirstUpdate. My audio log shows that the above method switches to XMode before the line -- Initing listener -- appears. I expect that is the correct moment (before any sounds have played) but there is also a chance that the Listener needs to be initialized first in order to switch modes.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby dendwaler » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:54 am

Thx D'Lanor,
I really appreciate it, that you always immediately dive into the new challenges that come up.
And already bring solutions.

I am sure this will be very fruitfull,
We are going to exploit this to the end for sure!
"We" are Pojibonzai as soundscaper and myself as a builder.
I already have the courage to say to expect that our cooperation in sound and visuals,
may lead to a soundexperience until now, never heard before in the fan-ages, and may be even far beyond that.

dendwaler

Postby diafero » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:13 pm

While this issue is unrelated to footstep sounds, I definitely was annoyed by it several times already. Actually I could make this the default in the Offline KI, either by calling it once on startup (and hoping that it will be remembered across links), or setting it in OnFirstUpdate for each age. It would however change the behaviour of each age out there, so I am not sure if this is desired...
(also, wouldn't it be better to use the avatar's position and orientation?)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Next

Return to Scripting