URU CC Widescreen solution?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

URU CC Widescreen solution?

Postby Atrion » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:20 pm

I notice in the Graphics tab, URU CC wont let me change it from 800x600 and I have a widescreen monitor, I was wondering if there was a solution to making URU Show in Widescreen or not?
Thanks for any and all help
-Atrion Darnay-
Atrion

Re: URU CC Widescreen solution?

Postby Karkadann » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:30 pm

The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Atrion » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Karkadann wrote:Did you check this thread?

http://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=4616

Yes I tried that, it made no difference, but I think that may be because that method is set to work on the Deep Island Shard and not in the offline CC version, either that or I did something wrong, lol.
-Atrion Darnay-
Atrion

Postby diafero » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:47 pm

That's correct, the configuration described there works only on DI (it relies on a small program I wrote which is injected by the dataserver into the Uru start process).
I know of no way to use widescreen resolutions offline.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:49 pm

You're gonna have to use UruTweak or PlasmaSHop to edit the graphics.ini file. Even then, the game will appear stretched. I think you'd be better off to just play in windowed mode :|
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby diafero » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Even then, launching UruSetup the next time will reset his configuration.
Also, from my experience, you have to edit the dev_mode.dat file. At least that's what my wide screen patcher does.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Atrion » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks all for your help.
-Atrion Darnay-
Atrion

Postby Sirius » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:19 am

I also tried setting Uru to widescreen. Works fine when you know how to do it, however as Hoikas said, the game will be stretched and there is no way to fix that. I prefer to play in windowed mode as well.

That's a bit tricky, but if anyone wants to know how to change it for offline use (and OFFLINE use ONLY, if that's for a Shard you must refer to Diafero's tutorial)... :

Graphic settings are all stored in the "dev_mode.dat" file, in Uru's directory. You'll need PlasmaShop to open this file. So the first step is getting PlasmaShop if you don't have it already:
https://github.com/H-uru/libhsplasma/wiki
You'll want PlasmaShop 3 beta ("Setup-PS30-Beta-rXXX.exe"). Install the program, make sure you remember where it is installed in case it does not create a shortcut directly.

Open PlasmaShop.exe, click the "Open File" button, and select the dev_mode.dat file in your Uru install folder. You'll see all sorts of infos displayed. What you'll want is change the width and height in the "Device Mode" area to whichever resolution you want. Save the file.

Before you start Uru, you'll want to make the file "read-only": right-click on the file, go into "Properties" and check "read-only". Otherwise UruSetup.exe (the program allowing you to change your settings) will think the file is invalid and revert your changes. Setting it to read-only prevents ALL application from modifying the file.
Note that UruSetup will complain about resolution being invalid and failing to write graphic settings. You can safely ignore those messages.

old outdated instructions Show Spoiler

I hope my instructions aren't too obscure. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.
Last edited by Sirius on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sirius

Postby diafero » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:05 am

:lol: I wrote that tool and never had the idea to even try it offline ;-) Thanks, good idea, Sirius!

And please *never ever* use the trick described at the end of his post (to start Uru without UruSetup) on a Shard! It will circumvent all consistency checks, so you can cause any form of havok and breakage on the server-side.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Seppolo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:15 am

I tried Sirius proposal to test widescreen resolution in my offline installation of Uru. And it works wonderfully! :)

The resolution and quality is great and even my monitor displays everything correctly! Only if I use a recording program. And then I look at the photos and videos, everything is a little drawn in width. Reason may be that there is no real 16:9 (widescreen) is? Deep Island and TOC tPots works with diaferos program but with the same conditions.

Uru does this much more alive and real! A kind UruHD. ;)
I find great. Improvements could still make.

regards
Seppolo
„Myst will never forgotten“

Seppolo

Return to General Discussion