Wall code for MOULa

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Wall code for MOULa

Postby Sirius » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:16 am

Hi everyone,

While enabling the Wall for Complete Chronicles, I said I might try to fix the MO:ULa version of it.
I totally forgot to do it, until Christopher asked me a while ago if I managed to do it (thanks to him for reminding me). So I finally managed to get something which seems to be working. I sent the fix to him so that he could try it.
He didn't tell me if it worked (he wanted to merge with a version of his to fix other bugs), but I think some people might want to try it as well.

It just repairs the Wall and Panel mechanism, but it doesn't fix the climb issue.
The good new is, it seems Christopher found what caused the climb crash when looking in the MOUL client source code ! Maybe he'll be able to bring it back then.

So, here are the Python script. There might be minor issues. Keep in mind that this is just a test and I don't guarantee it fully works.
Attachments
MOULaWall.zip
(21.74 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
Sirius

Re: Wall code for MOULa

Postby Deledrius » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:16 pm

I've been following Christopher's branch with great interest (and I'm sure I'm not the only one). Thanks for posting the Python fixes. Hopefully the Wall being a "thing which doesn't work" will someday be only a strange memory.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Christopher » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:39 am

Sorry Sirius, that I didn't answered you (I was very busy in the last time). The scripts are working so far, but we are currently in a kind of beta-test to find the last bugs.

In the client there was a stupid bug, but after fixing this issue I noticed that the avatar is warped down a bit if he starts climbing.(Seems the plClimbBrain is corrupted when it is queued as a plTaskBrain...). Because I was not able to fix this, I warped the avatar to the seekpoint and push the plClimbBrain directly.
Maybe someone finds out why the brain is corrupted when it is queued, but until this it is working this way.

Christopher

PS: We made a small trailer of the Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-6zynzp ... b3B_hfX83r
Christopher

Postby Sirius » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:30 am

:o
Wow, that's really good ! It reminds me I wanted to add a short story about the Wall re-enabled by the DRC in the Wall journal (I eventually thought it was a bad idea, I'm an awful storyteller :lol: ).
With all the testings, URU launches, crashes, things, I forgot how fun the Wall is. When I play it now, I don't have the same feeling as when I first discovered it on offline UU. Good to feel it again with this video.

Christopher wrote:Sorry Sirius, that I didn't answered you (I was very busy in the last time).
I can't blame you on this. I said I would try fixing it for MOUL, and yet I spent months without even working on it as I was too lazy to do so...
Sirius

Postby diafero » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:39 am

Wow, hats off, Christopher - awesome!
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Branan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:08 pm

Just a small plea to all involved to pretty please push any changes to github open a pull request when you feel the wall is ready for broader testing - it's something we'd really love to have enabled on Gehn, and I'm sure everybody else using our fork wants it too.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Christopher » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:31 pm

Well, finally I found the time to fix the most bugs in my scripts. If you are interessted in the way I recoded the Wall you can find my files on github.

https://github.com/ChristopherS/moul-sc ... imbingWall

Christopher
Christopher

Postby Annabelle » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:04 pm

I know Christopher will soon make it available for TOC MOUL shard but it would be nice to have it too on Gehn shard :D

Merci Sirius, Danke Christopher und Diafero to make it possible for us to play on Wall on URU:CC/Moul environment.

I enjoy playing on the wall since over a year with my UU offline install, thanks to Sirius for that, but that's offline :lol: I have to make hard patterns, go do something else for about 30 mins just enough time to "forget" them and play one side ;)
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby janaba » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:14 pm

Well, this is epic!!! This is just phenomenal!!! ... Thanks a lot, dearest Christopher and all
involved in bringing that magical and for a long time lost and sorely missed 'Wall' back to life ... /cheer ... :P
janaba

Postby johnsojc » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:00 am

I've managed to get Christopher's code (not forgetting Deledrius, Branan, and diafero) working on a dirtsand server and most everything seems to work so far. However, I always fail with a CTD whenever I try to start climbing the wall, either N or S.

Is anyone familiar with the problem of falling through the floor a short distance, both when entering one of the tubes (the other tube seems to work) and when trying to start climbing on either wall? These are the only problems I have with the wall game (so far). Falling through the floor in the tube does not seem to be fatal but doing so when trying to start climbing causes both players' client to crash.
johnsojc

Next

Return to Scripting