Installing Gehn Shard on OSX

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Installing Gehn Shard on OSX

Postby Christian Walther » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:18 pm

There used to be a problem with Wine where sounds decompressed to the sfx/streamingCache folder while playing on Wine would crackle, whereas playing on Wine with sounds previously decompressed on Windows or Cider would work fine. I haven’t tested this with recent versions of Wine, and I notice that Gehn doesn’t have a streamingCache folder (but instead a temp folder whose contents I haven’t examined), so I don’t know how relevant this still is.
Christian Walther

Postby Branan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Gehn no longer uses the win32 API to save it's cache files. Instead we just dump the PCM data with a very minimal header. Eventually I want this to go away completely in favor of streaming decompression.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby gabriml » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:32 pm

Ainia wrote:(I'm using the GameTap Cider version updated to work with the current MOULa server).

Could you point me to the instructions to get the Cider version updated. I looked into it over a year ago but it seemed very complicated. Seems like it should be just a simple server name change. (maybe that simple act is really that complicated)
Mark Gabrielson
Gehn KI#: 28638
-----------------------
John Three Sixteen
gabriml

Postby Ainia » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:50 pm

Shorah grabriml,

Apologies for not seeing your post earlier. How to install and update the GameTap Cider version of MOUL is discussed in multiple threads in the Myst Online forums. Rhendalle has the simplest and most concise instructions here. His post has a link to the GameTap download as well as instructions for downloading and replacing the UruLauncher.exe file inside the Cider package (which will update the GameTap version to use the MOULa server).

Hope this helps!
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby gabriml » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Well I was able to get MOULa running in the Cider wrapper using the above instructions. They were simple and straight forward. I like the fact that there are three native apps for login, updating and license--give it a solid, integrated effect. The sound was great and EAX worked great (as opposed to the cracking and humming of MOULa in Wine).

Problem is that it is a bit sluggish. I have a Mid 2010 iMac with 8GB RAM and the better graphics option (512MB) which should be sufficient. Maybe the Cider release it depends on is dated--I'm running it in Lion. I would rather run in bootcamp Win 7 just for the sake of the smoothness it provides. But I am happy to see that there are ways for Mac-only persons to participate in URU Live.

Thanks for all the help in getting this going. Looking forward to the native Mac Gehn Shard release that you mentioned.
Mark Gabrielson
-----------------------
John Three Sixteen
gabriml

Postby gabriml » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Just want to let Mac users know that the Mac implementation of Gehn described at the beginning of this thread is working very well. I spent quite some time working through the Minkata age using the Mac and was very satisfied with the performance. The sound is great also. Had no difficulties getting the
Show Spoiler
back to the main platform for later use.

My only change to the original post's instructions was to turn off 'Decorate Windows' in the wineskin.

UPDATE 1: In wineskin set 'Advanced-Options' setting of 'Focus Follows Mouse' to on. This keeps you from having to click twice on the login and licence dialog buttons--once to get focus and second to click the button. With this option turned on hovering the mouse over the dialog gets the focus 1 click for the button. Note this will produce an effect that may be irritating in that you will always see your Mac cursor arrow in game.

UPDATE 2: I am using wrapper version Wineskin 2.5.5 and Engine WS9Wine 1.5.2 and it is working fine for Gehn, TOC-MOUL and MOULa (except for MOULa's screeching sound).

UPDATE 3: If you find that after starting Gehn or TOC-MOUL the Mac menu bar and dock show up just reset your in game resolution to a standard 1920x1080 or 1680 x1050. The new resolution auto-detect routines shaved 25 or so pixels off the vertical res to let the menu bar show (This happened to me in TOC not Gehn but I think they may be sharing code). I had some problems with the Wineskin full screen toggle CMD-OPT-A while the display is in this state--do not use or you will have to power off your mac to get rid of the blank screen you are staring at.

UPDATE 4: Only use Wineskin full screen toggle CMD-OPT-A if your client is starting in actual full screen mode. It will toggle between full screen and modified full screen (menu bar and dock showing). When the menu bar is showing you can use the OS X key combos (F9, ctrl->, ctrl<-) to get to another space/desktop. The OS X 'spaces/desktops' key combos do not work while you are in actual full screen mode.

UPDATE 5: For the more adventurous you can make it easier on your eyes during the login proccess by adjusting the font dpi setting from 96 to 120. In Wineskin pick Advanced-Tools. Then pick Config Utility (wine config). In the Wine Configuration dialog pick the Graphics tab. Type 120 in the dpi box and click OK then close Wineskin.
Mark Gabrielson
-----------------------
John Three Sixteen
gabriml

Postby Malfhok » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Is anyone having issues launching with Wineskin on Mountain Lion? I was going to check out the new stuff, but I either can't get it to launch at all, or when I do, I get a download error that says something like "dat/GlobalClothing_District_female.prp not found."
Malfhok

Postby Lyrositor » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:22 pm

This is the same problem that crops up every time Gehn is updated, no matter what the OS is. Read this post for the solution to your problem: viewtopic.php?f=117&t=5794&p=59492#p59492
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Postby Malfhok » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:24 pm

Oh! I wondered if it was that, but I couldn't find that thread. Thank you!
Malfhok

Postby gabriml » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Trying to start Gehn in Wine (wineskin 2.5.6/engine WS9Wine 1.5.16) and it stops responding after the license agreement. Ran 'test run' in wineskin advanced and got the following error condition (after a force quit):

XIO: fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":4117"
after 139 requests (139 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
XIO: fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server ":4117"
after 1121 requests (1121 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

I deleted the ini files in the init folder to force it to use the base resolution but the error remains.

I am having the same issue with TOC-MOUL.

But Cyan's URU Live (and Minkata) is working fine.
===========================================================================
Update: Solved.

1. Removed all the 'Wine' files from my personal 'Library' folder (where ever they existed)
2. Upgraded to Wineskin-Winery-1.7 (http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-i ... =Downloads)
3. Updated to Wineskin-2.5.8 in Winery
4. Downloaded engine WS9Wine1.5.16 in Winery
5. Update Wrapper in each Wineskin to Wineskin-2.5.8
6. Change Engine in each Wineskin to WS9Wine1.5.16

Now both Gehn and TOC-MOUL are working fine.

I'm guessing that the newest version of Java (jre-7u9-macosx-x64) some how broke it.
Mark Gabrielson
-----------------------
John Three Sixteen
gabriml

PreviousNext

Return to Gehn Shard