Gehn.7 Live!

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Gehn.7 Live!

Postby Deledrius » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Changes in this build:
  • Utilize Windows 7 taskbar progress bars
  • Add language changer to launcher
  • Flash game window on new KI pms and KI mail
  • Allow users to play Uru in any resolution supported by their monitor
  • Add randomness (remove Shroomie predictability)
  • Replace stack dumps with independent crash handler
  • Lots of under-the-hood goodness
  • Fix download progress bars tracking the wrong total file sizes
  • Fix edge cases related to DST
  • Fix a potential float overflow
  • Fix Relto nosedive
  • Fix some weird camera transitions
  • Fix some lag
  • Perturbed matrices

Please note: while you can now easily select other languages in which to play Uru, much of the language support is currently spotty at best as the translations provided by Cyan are incomplete, and the data files do not always properly reference the translations which do exist. This is something we hope to rectify as soon as possible. Meanwhile, please remember to contribute to GULP so that we will have more complete translations to use when we are able to take full advantage of them!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Re: Gehn.7 Live!

Postby gabriml » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:05 pm

The fly-in bug was fixed on initial login. But it is still there when you return from your wardrobe.

The camera in 3rd person seems to jerk from place to place especially when you are jumping up a non sticky face. I had the problem behind the sign over by the pallets under the main plaza tent.

Will the '/help' command be implemented?

Thanks for your efforts.
Mark Gabrielson
Gehn KI#: 28638
-----------------------
John Three Sixteen
gabriml

Postby Carl Palmner » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:02 pm

Great to hear it!

However, I am wondering--are we at a point yet where everything functions the way it does on the official server--i.e. heek games, GZ calibration, Delin/Tsogahl game, Ahnonay sphere rotation etc.? It seems to me that the first priority should be getting everything working correctly before adding any more new features. Of course, it's been a little while since I was on the Gehn shard and maybe all of this stuff has already been fixed--in which case, kudos!
Carl Palmner

Postby janaba » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:19 pm

No, Carl, we're not at that point yet, but our magicians are working tirelessly on everything at the same
time, so, a big kudos and thanks is due for their efforts and dedication, esp. also for this latest update ... :P

First and foremost they were working hard to get this all as stable as possible and with the new fixes and
improvements that goal is achieved with mighty steps forward once again as I feel that the server and
game play are more stable than ever ... With this sticky resp. locked thread you can follow the progress
of what is still broken resp. brought about already with the vanishing of the listed tasks btw ...

So, yeah, it was a joy to test some stuff again and to find them more enhanced like some really weird
MOUL camera angles and transitions
, I've tested those in the Eders, in Teledahn and the Watcher's Pub
and they're really gone, which is awesome ... The 'Relto nosedive' is gone ... Yay!!! ... except when coming
back from the closet as gabriml pointed out, which brings me to an interesting discovery as I wanted to test
your mentioned
'Utilize Windows 7 taskbar progress bars' and better taskbar integration as well as 'Allow users to play Uru in
any resolution
supported by their monitor', that's why I did some changings back and forth and everything worked
fluently and looked great and with the windowed mode at last I was stunned ... This is really very comfortable,
the taskbar integration is perfect and only in that mode you can see the awesome beautiful taskbar progress bar
loading A N D haha, you don't have a 'Relto nosedive' at all, also not from returning from the closet ... ;)

Ok, what else ... I noticed the case insensitive listing of names in the KI, I believe you didn't mention that
and after the Minkata Shard testings I now noticed and enjoyed the great and perfect standing and running
jumps
lol ... Oh, and I recognized that the Pods are now by default powered when linking in, which is nice,
though I don't know if that was established/coded intentionally ...

Yeah, that is it so far, have to roam more to realize and experience the whole upgrade in its complexity,
thanks again guys, great job ... :)
janaba

Postby Acorn » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:22 pm

hey, well done, it's great to have new things to test once again. Of course I rushed straight for Shroomie. And I'm sorry to say that I had the same old 25 pulls of the lever,then 8 (which is my old pattern), then I reltoed out and back, and then had 25 again followed by 7....so I don't think we've got Shroomie randomness fixed quite yet. But thanks for trying! I also had a weird swooping camera angle in Teledahn I'm afraid. But I quite like them!
Acorn

Postby Deledrius » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:22 pm

Carl Palmner wrote:However, I am wondering--are we at a point yet where everything functions the way it does on the official server--i.e. heek games, GZ calibration, Delin/Tsogahl game, Ahnonay sphere rotation etc.? It seems to me that the first priority should be getting everything working correctly before adding any more new features. Of course, it's been a little while since I was on the Gehn shard and maybe all of this stuff has already been fixed--in which case, kudos!

That was part of the initial push for us too, trying to get as much feature parity as possible right away. Unfortunately the Games ('heek, quabs, etc.) are controlled with code that is quite hacky and we've been working behind-the-scenes on changes which fix it for the better. The alternative is writing the server to connect to the existing broken code and then rewrite it properly later, a duplication of work we'd prefer to avoid. While this does mean it's taking longer, the end result should (hopefully) be much more stable and secure; this part of the game touches a lot of things. Of course, other bug fixes and such have taken priority (or are smaller in scope and easier to accomplish) which means they end up in a release ahead of the Game code. Progress is being made.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Ron Landry » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:18 pm

After automatic update to version 7 I can't start Gehn. After login the launcher stops with this error message: "URU has experienced a serious error and needs to close. Please submit your log folder to the developer".

I've changed the color depth and the resolution, but it doesn't work. I tried a couple of times. I will submit the log folder soon.
... and so I close realising that perhaps ... the ending ... has not yet been written.
returned to the cavern as
MOULa KI#10215645 Ovaron / Gehn Shard KI#582269 Ovaron2
Ron Landry

Postby Carl Palmner » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:00 pm

The bug I keep running into is that I log in, and no one else is playing. I think a full rewrite of all the other Uru players' code is needed.

Part of the problem may lie in the too_busy_to_play_uru() subroutine. Disabling this part of their programming entirely might be desirable.

Let me know how it goes!
Carl Palmner

Postby Ron Landry » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:25 am

@deledrius
As I posted here, I can't login. Attached you find my Gehn Log Folder.
Attachments
gehn_log.zip
My Gehn Log Folder
(37.1 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
... and so I close realising that perhaps ... the ending ... has not yet been written.
returned to the cavern as
MOULa KI#10215645 Ovaron / Gehn Shard KI#582269 Ovaron2
Ron Landry

Postby janaba » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:13 am

Haha ... Cool ... The 'too_busy_to_play_uru() subroutine' or the 'no one else is playing bug' as you call it, Carl,
has always been prevalent in Uru/UU/MOUL/MOULa as well as former and nowadays' Shards, sometimes more,
sometimes less lol ... :D

As I understand it, the resp. Shard owners and Cyan Worlds as well are constantly 24/7 working on providing
an ever more enhanced and stable foundation for our entertainment and game play fun, which are the available
servers/shards whereupon we, the ones provided with the opportunity to use this precious ground, have almost
all capabilities and means available to organize and offer desired and environment and space filling events and
diverse entertaining programs, which cannot be provided by the background crews ... :P

Seriously, we can only be glad that there have also always been people around being perfect to organize just
that, otherwise and without them we've had our caverns incl. MOULa more constantly empty as it was and
still is already ...

@Ron ... I'm sorry, but I could log in easily about thirty minutes ago, but maybe it is only me or I was just lucky ... :)
janaba

Next

Return to Gehn Shard