Gehn.16 Live!

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Gehn.16 Live!

Postby Deledrius » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:27 pm

Changes in this build:
  • Ensure there is always a progress indicator while linking.
  • Fix /savecolumns.
  • Fix Age invite display.
  • Fix collision issue in Fehnir's House.
  • Improve skinning. (Less lag on old CPUs!)
  • Update game data (PRPs) to MOULa 1.918.
  • Integrate non-deterministic fractal surfaces.

Reminder: Cyan has updated their build and Gehn is now updated to match. Please delete the TOS.txt from your MOULa installation, run the launcher, and copy your data files over to Gehn from that up-to-date MOULa installation before launching Gehn or you will be unable to play!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Re: Gehn.16 Live!

Postby Acorn » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:52 pm

good work, everyone, looking forward to testing :lol: Especially jumping on Fehnir's bookshelf. :lol:

Deledrius wrote:
Reminder: Please delete the TOS.txt from your MOULa installation, run the launcher, and copy your data files over to Gehn from that up-to-date MOULa installation before launching Gehn or you will be unable to play!

Sorry for the dumb question but I wanted to be completely clear - I've already got MOULa working following the upgrade and I didn't delete any files to do so. So is the first part of your instruction simply a precautionary approach to getting the new version of MOULa working, which won't apply to anyone who already has the update; or are you telling everyone who wants Gehn16 to delete the TOS.txt file from MOULa, irrespective of whether the new version of MOULa is working?

(I get it that we all have to copy over the data files to Gehn, it's just deleting TOS.txt I wasn't clear about.)
Acorn

Postby Mystler » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:51 am

Having a "working" MOULa maybe is not a good term.
The point about deleting the TOS.txt is that the launcher notices a change in the most important files. This forces the launcher to re-check all of your files and download them again, if there were any changes.
Since Cyan has changed some Texture PRPs, none of the important files have changed and instead of being loaded by the launcher, they are on joining the age. By deleting TOS.txt the launcher will make sure you already have the correct files.
Mystler

Postby Deledrius » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:09 am

That is correct. I too forgot to delete the TOS.txt when acquiring the PRPs for comparison in preparation of Hoikas building Gehn's manifests, and so the collection was incomplete. It's really silly, too, because the texture files are universally the largest ones, and the ones you'd most want to preload in the launcher instead of waiting for while linking during actual gameplay.

To be certain you have the entire set of updated PRPs you need to force the full MOULa recheck.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby janaba » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:50 am

Since I've been going through this whole process of not having the entire needed set of PRPs and its consequences lol on the TOC MOUL Shard, I was already properly set for the new Gehn release, means I did delete the TOS file for UruLive already and launched MOULa to have all necessary files uploaded yesterday, which was again an about 80 and something MB download after the TOS file deletion ... So I only had to copy UruLive's dat folder to the Gehn directory, and I can say that everything's working fine with the new Gehn.16 as far as I've been testing stuff by now ... :P

Ok, let's see what was to be tested ...
- Ensure there is always a progress indicator while linking --> yes there is
- Fix /savecolumns --> is working properly
- Fix collision issue in Fehnir's House --> There are absolutely no collisions anymore lol ... Annabelle and others will be happy ... You can completely avoid walking up the stairway, it is possible to jump up and down to and from the upper level and everywhere in Fehnir's House ... :D
- Update game data (PRPs) to MOULa 1.918 --> seems to be complete too, means I've been to many places where I knew there were issues with graphics and otherwise ...
- couldn't make out all of those 'non-deterministic fractal surfaces' by now, a further specification would be very much appreciated ... :geek:

As I've encountered an unexpected message when linking to Phil's Relto from the Spyroom, I've deleted the TOS file of UruLive again and ran the launcher, I've even been logging into MOULa to see if the same would happen there, but it didn't, and I logged onto TOC MOUL again to look for the same issue, but it didn't, then I copied the dat folder again to Gehn, logged in, linked to Phil's Relto and the following message is still there
Show Spoiler

You see, you can link to Phil's Relto, but have to press ok for the parsing of those files, you just press ok and you're in very fast ...

That is it so far ... The buckets in Teledahn behave a bit strange, sometimes coming, then halting, taking you with you and sometimes not, sometimes there are some buckets close behind, then everything's ok again, but we encountered that issue already while testing, and I've looked onto TOC and MOULa, there this happens too, everything else seems ok and stable and smooth as of PhysX etc. ... :)
janaba

Postby Deledrius » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:21 am

janaba wrote:- Fix collision issue in Fehnir's House --> There are absolutely no collisions anymore lol ... Annabelle and others will be happy ... You can completely avoid walking up the stairway, it is possible to jump up and down to and from the upper level and everywhere in Fehnir's House ... :D

Well, I hope you don't really mean no collisions anymore! The floor and walls should all still be solid, I expect. I only removed a single-sided redundant collision at the top of the balcony. I'm not sure why it was there, but it was far too easy for players to get stuck and didn't seem to do anything useful.

janaba wrote:As I've encountered an unexpected message when linking to Phil's Relto

Thanks, looks like a minor problem with the files I provided to Hoikas. Sorry about that. It appears we missed that one when fixing that oversight.

janaba wrote:That is it so far ... The buckets in Teledahn behave a bit strange, sometimes coming, then halting, taking you with you and sometimes not, sometimes there are some buckets close behind, then everything's ok again, but we encountered that issue already while testing, and I've looked onto TOC and MOULa, there this happens too, everything else seems ok and stable and smooth as of PhysX etc. ... :)

Do you know if the game exhibited this behavior previously (before 1.918)?
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby janaba » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:22 am

Deledrius wrote:
janaba wrote:That is it so far ... The buckets in Teledahn behave a bit strange, sometimes coming, then halting, taking you with you and sometimes not, sometimes there are some buckets close behind, then everything's ok again, but we encountered that issue already while testing, and I've looked onto TOC and MOULa, there this happens too, everything else seems ok and stable and smooth as of PhysX etc. ... :)

Do you know if the game exhibited this behavior previously (before 1.918)?

As for myself, I don't remember having had Teledahn bucket problems ever, but I've oftentimes heard of others having them, that's why I just gave teledahn AND buckets and search for all terms into the MOUL forums search form and got back 19 matches (there's no url for the search result), all containing descriptions of the behaviors posted above ... There is even an announcement of Chogon for the MOUL build 905 mentioning a fix for Teledahn buckets for newer versions of Python ...

So, it seems this issue every now and then seems to be prevalent since almost forever lol ... As of what I've been reading to the solutions so far, most of the time, when new explorers couldn't get the buckets working and thus couldn't complete the journey, the only solution was to reset the age and that solved it ... So, I don't mind as I don't need it, I actually can get those rebellious buckets to work in one way or another, jumping in and out, pulling the lever again and again, waiting etc. etc. lol, but as this was an exceptional experience for me and even on all Shards I thought I'd mention this at least ... :P

Ahh, I just see and remember that there's been a lot of fun talk about Teledahn buckets lately in the MOULa 916... now 918 build MOUL forums thread too ... :D
janaba

Postby Acorn » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:35 pm

Mystler wrote:Having a "working" MOULa maybe is not a good term.
The point about deleting the TOS.txt is that the launcher notices a change in the most important files. This forces the launcher to re-check all of your files and download them again, if there were any changes.
Since Cyan has changed some Texture PRPs, none of the important files have changed and instead of being loaded by the launcher, they are on joining the age. By deleting TOS.txt the launcher will make sure you already have the correct files.

Deledrius wrote:That is correct. I too forgot to delete the TOS.txt when acquiring the PRPs for comparison in preparation of Hoikas building Gehn's manifests, and so the collection was incomplete. It's really silly, too, because the texture files are universally the largest ones, and the ones you'd most want to preload in the launcher instead of waiting for while linking during actual gameplay.

To be certain you have the entire set of updated PRPs you need to force the full MOULa recheck.

Thanks to you both! I've got it all working now and created a new Avvie, AcornGehn16, for testing. Sorry to miss you just now, Deledrius!

By the way, whenever I log on, get to the avvie selection window and delete an avvie and create another one, the window consistently freezes and I have to ctrl-alt-del and restart. I can never get straight into the game after creating a new avvie. This isn't new but I may not have reported it before.
Acorn

Postby Acorn » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:52 pm

janaba wrote:
Ok, let's see what was to be tested ...
- Ensure there is always a progress indicator while linking --> yes there is

I'm afraid I'm NOT getting a progress bar each time I link. It sometimes appears; sometimes it flashes on for a moment and disappears; and sometimes it's not there at all.

janaba wrote:- Fix collision issue in Fehnir's House --> There are absolutely no collisions anymore lol ... Annabelle and others will be happy ... You can completely avoid walking up the stairway, it is possible to jump up and down to and from the upper level and everywhere in Fehnir's House ... :D

hooray, I didn't get stuck on the bookcase :P

I didn't see any unusual behaviour from the buckets in Gehn, whereas on MOULa I just had a ride in an invisible bucket - cool ;)

Otherwise, everything seems to be working fine so far - well done everyone! But my new avvie has plenty more still to test! :)
Acorn

Postby Annabelle » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:04 pm

This release is quite well done.

No more leaking of the Tre'bidvil stainglass onto the book (maybe it was already corrected with the .15 release, I don't remember)
I only found 2 different stainglasses for Tre'bidvil:
1st version: in GOW(1) Neighborhood, GOW(2) Neighborhood
2nd version: in GOW(32) Neighborhood

I went inside 10 to 12 hoods and only found those 2 glasses, is there a 3rd version somewhere?

Fehnir's House is more enjoyable now.

Here's a picture:

I will conquer this age one vase at the time :lol: This vase is taller than me, it took me a while to find the bouncing "hole"

On another matter...

This picture isn't related to the release itself except you might be able to help me here. I logged in one of my Reltos and saw a "new star" in the sky, I was quite intrigued

I looked more closely and saw that it was a marble stucked in mid-air :lol:

It's in Sophie's Relto if someone could go there and grab that "star" for me ;)
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Next

Return to Gehn Shard