The Writer's Pub: Renovation?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: The Writer's Pub: Renovation?

Postby Lyrositor » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Luna wrote:
Tweek wrote:I only have one condition on passing this area over to the GoW when it's completed. And that is simply that it is the GoW pub only and is not used to create pubs for the other guilds. Given the nature of D'ni guilds I find them likelihood of them having carbon copy pubs to be nonsense. If the other guilds want a pub then they can have their own style.

While I agree I see an issue here, the other guilds don't have a Tweek to make them an awesome guild pub......

We do have a Doobes. ;)
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Postby Doobes » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:24 pm

Lyrositor wrote:We do have a Doobes. ;)

Zzzzzzzz...hwhuuu?

Read that in Professor Farnsworth's voice for maximum hilarity. ;)

I agree that taking Tweek's fine work and slapping a different logo and color scheme on it would cheapen it greatly (you taking notes, Cyan?). Best to come up with something totally original for future Pubs. I am, as always, open to suggestions on that front.
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby Afalstein » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:47 pm

Whoah. I need to check this site more often, what incredible work. I must admit I wasn't thinking of much beyond just some generic things added to the already-existing template of the pub, but this looks totally new. Awesome stuff.

Doobes wrote:
I agree that taking Tweek's fine work and slapping a different logo and color scheme on it would cheapen it greatly (you taking notes, Cyan?). Best to come up with something totally original for future Pubs. I am, as always, open to suggestions on that front.

It seems like it would be best to consult the other Guilds as to what sort of things they would like for their pubs.

At the moment, I'd suggest the Guild of Maintainers should somewhat resemble Gahreesen... lots of stone walls and sharp angles. Maybe some old Maintainer suit models, if that's at all possible. The Guild of Greeters is green... maybe throw in some potted plants and trees to set it off? And something to make it more accessible, so that they can actually welcome people. Maybe pictures of the different Ages in there somehow. Guild of Cartographers could have a map-style floor, with more wooden and earthen tones, and sketch pages on tables around the room.

...I get the feeling I'm forgetting a guild, but I (obviously) can't think of it right now.

EDIT: Wow, that's embarrassing. The Guild I'm forgetting is, of course, Doobes' own Guild of Messengers. That... is hugely awkward. Sorry, man. You should ask around your guild to see what things people think would be beneficial, but just from a decorative standpoint, the Messenger's pub could have a lot of bookcases with scrolls on them. Some of the alcoves could be marked with the GoM different venues--Facebook, Twitter, etc. (though that could run into legal problems, and would look too modern for D'ni.) Perhaps you might want another imager, that can be updated instead of simply added to, so you can have an ongoing "calendar of events" or something.
Afalstein

Postby Doobes » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:19 am

Afalstein wrote:EDIT: Wow, that's embarrassing. The Guild I'm forgetting is, of course, Doobes' own Guild of Messengers. That... is hugely awkward. Sorry, man.

Eh, not a problem! A few of our members have already chimed in, so I just figured you just wanted to mention the Guilds that haven't had a say yet. ;)

Afalstein wrote: You should ask around your guild to see what things people think would be beneficial, but just from a decorative standpoint, the Messenger's pub could have a lot of bookcases with scrolls on them. Some of the alcoves could be marked with the GoM different venues--Facebook, Twitter, etc. (though that could run into legal problems, and would look too modern for D'ni.) Perhaps you might want another imager, that can be updated instead of simply added to, so you can have an ongoing "calendar of events" or something.

Funny you should mention all that...I've actually been working on something as well:

Show Spoiler

http://s232.photobucket.com/user/DoobesURU/library/The%20NEW%20GoMe%20Guild%20Pub?sort=3&page=1

I do like your ideas about bookcases and such to emphasize message deliveries, something the D'ni GoMe would have done, even in a relaxing Pub (nothing like taking your work with you!). That and my theory about them having multiple drop points both in-cavern and in Ages for what was probably a very large quantity of deliveries from the D'ni empire and beyond. As for imagers, I plan to have two large ones on either side of the ground floor that anyone can post to (in place of the large center imager in the current Pub, which I removed in my version in favor of...well, a bar. It IS a Pub after all! :P ).

I think these Pubs, at their heart, were intended for both work and relaxation, so a mix of the two elements is only logical, IMHO.
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby Afalstein » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:55 pm

Definitely. I always thought the pubs were odd for their distinct non-pub-ness... no bottles or even tables to be seen. An actual bar could make for a much more lighthearted and friendlier atmosphere, befitting the GoMe. I know people have had get-togethers in the ruined bar by the harbor, and that place isn't even in good repair. A decent-looking hangout could easily make for greater club involvement.

Too bad you CAN'T have linking books to all the Ages around the bar. It would give a real sense of the Guild's connectivity. But as each player has a different Teledahn, Kadish, etc., it doesn't seem like that'd be feasible. And the hoods are only distinguishable in the nexus, and all the D'ni locations are in one book. You could still put up book STANDS, to indicate that at one point they did have open books leading to all parts of the D'ni empire.
Afalstein

Postby Pavitra » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:25 pm

Since the Pubs are in D'ni, any links to D'ni locations would have to be Bahro tablets, which the historical Messengers wouldn't have had.

There should probably be a Nexus link in each Pub, and if not, then at least in the Maintainers'.
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby Doobes » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:26 am

Pavitra wrote:Since the Pubs are in D'ni, any links to D'ni locations would have to be Bahro tablets, which the historical Messengers wouldn't have had.

There should probably be a Nexus link in each Pub, and if not, then at least in the Maintainers'.

Most likely, the means to get to the new pubs would be exactly like the old: the Nexus. I myself intend to have a Nexus book ready to go near the link in in my Pub. It IS one of the things that bothers me about the current Pubs...no way out except Relto.

...unless there's an exit behind those curtains we can't seem to open? :P
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby Afalstein » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:55 pm

Doobes wrote:
Pavitra wrote:Since the Pubs are in D'ni, any links to D'ni locations would have to be Bahro tablets, which the historical Messengers wouldn't have had.

Most likely, the means to get to the new pubs would be exactly like the old: the Nexus. I myself intend to have a Nexus book ready to go near the link in in my Pub. It IS one of the things that bothers me about the current Pubs...no way out except Relto.

...unless there's an exit behind those curtains we can't seem to open? :P

Those curtains are made of SOLID ROCK, man. I run into them and they don't even budge.

The suggestion about Nexus pedestals has been made several times, and is an excellent one. I wonder how people were supposed to get out of the Pubs otherwise. Maybe they used to have books, or you were expected to bring your own.
Afalstein

Postby Pavitra » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:09 am

Doobes wrote:

Most likely, the means to get to the new pubs would be exactly like the old: the Nexus.

I was actually referring to the idea of outgoing Books from the Pub, but yes.
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby Doobes » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Pavitra wrote:
I was actually referring to the idea of outgoing Books from the Pub, but yes.

Funny you should mention that:

Show Spoiler

:P
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion