How to play URU in DI Shard for dummies

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: How to play URU in DI Shard for dummies

Postby diafero » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:41 am

Ah, yeah, an age can set up a swim region just about anywhere, so it may just as well be in mid-air. Age authors can do lots of funny things ;-)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:18 am

diafero, i know how to play minkata, played it many times before, figured out all the puzzles and leaded newbies through it. there was a player with us in minkata some days ago though that kept switching from day to nigh and back without us doing anything. i was certain he was using some 'tricks' ;)
Zesty of Xeniphers

Postby Annabelle » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:02 pm

Zesty of Xeniphers wrote:...there was a player with us in minkata some days ago though that kept switching from day to nigh and back without us doing anything. i was certain he was using some 'tricks' ;)

I'm very doubtful it was on Deep Island... :?

Tonight, I logged Annabelle & Annabelle2 shortly on the server. I sent my "Annabelle" in Minkata through her book, I linked in "Annabelle's Minkata". I then sent my "Annabelle2" in Minkata through her book, I linked in "Annabelle2's Minkata".

The only way I could have sent Annabelle2 & Annabelle in the same Minkata would have been to share the book OR to give to one or the other an invite to the other one's Minkata. There's no way someone can reach a private age on Deep Island if they are not invited.

Diafero has admin rights which allow him to do whatever on his server. The only 2 times he used "his powers" in front of me was in the Neighborhood (or was it Seret ?!?) to make appear the bahro & in my own Relto to show me a nice trick that only someone with admins rights (anyone Offline ;) ...) can perform in his/her Relto. Each time we had to convince him to make use of them.

Deep Island is not MOULa where anyone can make use of "magic power" whether it's OK 8-) or completely forbidden :roll: :roll: .

-------

For the "avatar swimming in thin air", there's indeed a command that exist BUT it's on TOC MOUL shard which has nothing to do with the Deep Island shard.

The commands that you can see if you type "/help" on the chat in Deep Island are the only ones that can be done (minus the admin's ones)
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby diafero » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:56 am

There's no way someone can reach a private age on Deep Island if they are not invited.
Well, technically speaking, there's nothing preventing you from doing everything I can do. I mean I added a few obstacles because I don't want everyone to mess with the server, but it's not like there is proper security. But *psssst* don't tell anyone ;-)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Clatch » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:35 am

Hi Annabelle,

I have some newbie questions! :) Would you recommend DI to someone who hasn't finished MOULA? I was seriously considering grabbing URU:CC off GOG just to see all the user content. But considering I haven't finished URU yet I wasn't sure if I'd even be able to complete the game in DI with the current bug list?

BTW, the bug list hasn't been updated in quite a while... is this thread (viewtopic.php?f=111&t=4689) still accurate?

I haven't started Myst V yet either. Is it worth converting over with Drizzle and playing via DI or are there too many incompatibilities between engines to finish it? It almost sounds like the DI experience of Myst V it's just a novelty for those who have already finished the series.
Clatch

Postby Annabelle » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi Clatch,

Sure you can try DI even though you didn't finish MOULa yet. You can solve for instance Minkata the same way it should be solved in MOULa when solving it in DI. For the gardens (Delin & Tsogal), the hardest is not to solve them but finding enough people online at the same time & willing to help. DI is very much aimed toward exploration. I'm not even sure if I completed the game (URU proper) more than once. I know I did it for my main avatar, not sure for the remaining... Mostly, explorers go in DI because of the fan ages. There's no comparison with MOUL-based shard like Gehn or TOC-MOUL. We are talking of more than 100 ages.

I don't remember which version I've used to Drizzled my URU:CC (I have both the original CD-Rom & the GOG versions) <-- the same applies with Myst 5 EoA (I don't know which version I've used either...). Myst 5 EoA drizzled doesn't give you the game, it gives you the ages. Myst 5 EoA & URU:CC shared the same plasma engine which greatly helped when the Alcugs coders developed the converter. In other words, Myst 5 EoA is broken when converted to be imported in URU:CC or on DI. Is it worth converting? I would say yes if you like exploring ages. If you like more solving puzzles & many interactions, it won't be your favorite ages. DI (and URU:CC drizzled) offers a real integration of Myst 5 EoA into URU. D'ni-K'veer has a linking book to EoA's version of Myst Island for example. The pod book has an added page to link inside Todelmer's pod, another example. Even if you didn't play Myst 5 EoA yet, it shouldn't be an issue. You won't be able to play it within URU anyway.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Clatch » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Thanks Annabelle!

What a great introduction to DI. I'll definitely be taking a gander soon.
Clatch

Postby Annabelle » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:50 pm

I looked through the bug list. I don't think any of them have been solved. That list was built by Diafero & his ranking (major, medium, minor) is rather subjective. I would have put all the "medium issues" under "minor issues". I don't see the bugs as bad. For instance, the sun in Teledahn. I know it's not in sync. I don't care much. As long as the power is turned ON that's perfect! There's nothing perfect, and MOULa is very far from being perfect...so DI with a list of bugs like that, I don't see any problem...

You are too fast :lol: ... I was trying to edit my previous post but you replied before. I won't post anything before tomorrow
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby diafero » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:21 am

The buglist has not been updated in years as no new reproducible bugs were reported :) . And of course, the rating is entirely subjective.

Regarding converting the ages, you should use Drizzle 30 for whatever you do. That's the version "officially supported" by the server.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Annabelle » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:38 pm

The initial post has been rewritten entirely (the 9 editions were made today). After 4 years, it was a bit outdated. As with the date of the initial (Sept 4th, 2010), I realise that the shard is older than what I've always imagined. I always thought its inception was in August 2011, it was 1 year before...
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

PreviousNext

Return to Deep Island