Annabelle's Journeys inside URU

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Annabelle's Journeys inside URU

Postby Annabelle » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:41 pm

Show Spoiler

EDITION NOTE:
I put all my post under spoilers diminishing the font size & compacting the whole text. I did that because it's no longer relevant. I didn't want to start a whole new thread, this one is just fine. I leave the whole text there since some explorers (janaba & justintime) responded to it.
Last edited by Annabelle on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Re: Annabelle's Info Central GoW Fork

Postby janaba » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:26 am

Annabelle, this is a wonderful idea ... It is a great challenge and project for someone like you, and it is
an awesome and much needed contribution to Uru, the community, the shard owners and programmers
as well as to the honor of our ingenious age builders ... :P

If there is any future for Uru at all it lies in the hands of the community and thus the shards, our precious
programmers and coders and the creative minds and hearts of our age creators ... and of course us, the
explorers ... :D

I can't wait to follow you through your 'Journey through the Fan Ages' and illustrated reports thereof ... :)
janaba

Postby Annabelle » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:51 am

Thank you Janaba :)

It's an enormous project I must say... I already cutted down 6 of my 11 projects of this year. I plan to maintain 4 projects alive on MOULa forum and 1 here, this one ;) . You may think there's a lot of workers under my orders... not really... just me :lol:
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Annabelle » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:19 pm

Show Spoiler

EDITION NOTE:
I put all my post under spoilers diminish the font size & compacting the whole text. I did that because it's no longer relevant. I didn't want to start a whole new thread, this one is just fine. I leave the whole text there since some explorers (janaba & justintime) responded to it.
Last edited by Annabelle on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby janaba » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:21 am

Awesome, Annabelle !!! Great prospects, great 'stuff' is ahead of us ... :P

'May the Force be with You' and keep you inspired, empowered and sane ... :D
janaba

Postby Justintime9 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:25 am

Hey, I just saw this. Looks like a great idea! I'm kind of fuzzy on how you're doing this though... are you writing articles on the ages/writer? Will it all be in game? (Marker missions, etc.) Anyway, I'm flattered my ages are on that list. :) If you need to interview me or anything please feel free to send me a message. (And if your studying all the writer's various work, I also designed the cave in relltoo.) And I know Jamey if you want to talk to him about his ages.
Justintime9

Postby Annabelle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Thanks justintime for that reply :)

This project is still under construction and NO I didn't forget it. I began with a writer then thought it would be too much boring, so I've redone it from scratch then I read myself and said... hmm no, let me redo it. So the thing is that before I publish my first project (let me call it that way...), it might be a bit long. Once I'll set my foundations the rest should be easier.

I can't tell which format will take my projects yet. Maybe a mix since some ages can be very playable (with marker quests), some ages are just beautiful visually and I cannot make a suitable quest inside them, and finally some are a sweet mix of the two. I want to come with a short living text that is catchy and say the essential. Then if, like you, the age writer has more than one age or made a part in a community age (e.g. Rell-Too), I want to be able to show the whole portrait.

I want to do this because I find that most of the explorers just go in a fan age, look around, then leave and never come back. A shard like Deep Island is a gem in the URU Community. Many just don't see that.

MOUL environment is great but there are many flaws too many chiefs that try to dictate what's nice what's ugly what's should go on main MOULa what's shouldn't go... In URU:CC, the complete freedom is there. You write an age...it will be welcomed! The client is really stable and reliable.

And the way we are going, the difference in physics between MOUL and URU:CC is diminishing greatly (I'm talking about avatars' movements and controls). The issue is that MOUL environment offers nearly nothing...to move around and explore...in a game all about exploration!!!
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby janaba » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:28 am

Wow!!! Beautiful statement, Annabelle, and so true in many respects ... :P

I don't know the difference as much as you do, but I get the feeling you might be right ...
One fine day I might try it out too ... :D

What comes to mind when reminiscing my own experiences on Ashtar's old Great Tree Alcugs
Testing Shard is the fact that he, Ashtar, along with a'moaca or was it weldergeek, and they're
absolute geniuses and professionals, were constantly and feverishly working to approve the
multiplayer abilities of the same ... :geek:

I remember the funny times when testing ages with the age builders and others that there could
never be more than about 4 people in an age at the same time, and I remember that glorious and
awesome moment when we were even 7 or 8 people in one age without crashing haha, but that
happened only one time I believe, and most of the time we were 4 or 5 ever after and that was
already good ... ;)

You might already guess what I'd like to express ... diafero, maybe together with Ashtar and/or others,
must have succeeded in solving the issues from back then on Deep Island ... did he? ... I mean, is it
possible for many explorers to explore on the shard or even in one fan created age at the same time? ...

However, this sounds all great and inspiring, Annabelle ... :)
janaba

Re: Annabelle's Journeys inside URU

Postby Annabelle » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Glossary note:
URU used in the context of this project only refers to an install based on URU:CC primarily. It can be an URU:CC install that you drizzled to add fan-made ages or an install that enables you to play on an Alcugs protocol shard like Deep Island. All the other means of playing this game will be named differently to make the clear distinction (e.g. MOULa). I’m using this to ease the overall understanding & flow of my text.

Shorah Explorers!

You're about to discover my whole new project: "Journeys inside URU". :D

I’m inviting you to follow each of my numerous journeys I undertook during the last 20 or so months. Each of them is unique.

I’ve reached summits, swam underwater, visited space, lost myself inside mazes, grinded my teeth at impossible puzzles, found holes to escape my entrapments, jumped on cactus (always a bad idea...but funny nevertheless), followed the paths described by strangers in their journals, visited new locations inside the D’ni Cavern, been enjoying nice musical scores, watched wildlife in my surrounding areas, disturbed an angry mother bird, watched stars high up in the sky, took bath in the most strange places one could imagine, cuddled sweet lovely animals (racoon, squirrel, squees, & bears... hmm…not the last one), been on exploration in lugubrious caves, learned about long lost civilisations, gathered a lot of riches both literally (gold, treasures) & figuratively (wisdom, knowledge).

I went to numerous ages, I explored a lot, I had tremendous journeys inside URU and now I’m about to offer you the same chance.

These journeys inside URU have no equivalent. You cannot even compare them to the ones I made for MOULa shard. These more or less 15 journeys are made for URU and you’ll be delighted by the challenges offered, the vast lands to explore, and the well-hidden secret locations revealed, the “beyond the curtain” areas shown, etc.

What’s a journey?

A Journey is a complete set of tools & features to fully appreciate a given age or a group of ages. You’ll at the end of a given journey know more about the age, you’ll have tools to ease your exploration. It can take any form. In the 1st journey, you’ll have a complete walkthrough/journey log for instance. You’ll also have some quests to experience yourself the journey or in some case to enhance it with goodies. A journey quest takes you by the hand a little bit more to make you progress toward a given goal. Some quests are built like challenges, the only goal is to grab every marker or achieve the route from A to Z. Those quests are generally a little bit harder than my journey quests.

Are we gonna be able to play your quests easily?

You’ll have 2 means to enjoy them: offline & online. Playing online (available on Deep Island shard only) will enable multi-players gaming. Playing offline (you need to have drizzled your URU:CC or its equivalent) will have its advantage too like playing in full Editing Mode instead of playing in Playing Mode. There will be between 2 & 7 quests per journey with an average of 4 quests per journey.

How will be built your quests?

In MOULa, the core of my quest collection is the collisions. Without them, I wouldn’t have made as many quests. In URU the collisions cannot or almost cannot be used to explore. In some occasions you will have to surf (drift) on them on short distances to reach a farther area, in most situations, you’ll just have to go over them to explore the area beyond them.

Since there are no combo or double jump techniques in URU, how can we achieve your quests?

The skydiving (glitching) techniques of URU are different from the ones that can be used with the skydiving client in MOULa. You’ll be introduced to a lot of new techniques playing my quests in URU. There will be some coming from MOULa too.

Here’s a list of the most important ones:
1- Drifting on a collision wall
2- Breaking on landing
3- Countering the sliding effect on turning
4- Wobbling through collision wall
5- Warp-jumping through a Subworld
6- Keeping running steadily
7- Stabilizing your Avatar
8- Drowning deeper than intended
9- Following an inverted downward plane
10- Doing a fast 2nd movement before sliding off
11- Sticking yourself to help you going further on
12- Sticking & moving on the very edge of a collision plane at half body height to go further
13- Doing run-jumps on top of a collision wall knowing you cannot stop for split second
14- Landing on spherical collision planes & stabilizing on top of them
15- Climbing on totally invisible planes to reach your goal
16- Running/Walking against a collision wall to avoid falling off
17- Jumping/sticking/turning & run-jumping to gain height
and more... ;) :lol:

Don’t worry much about them for now. I’ll explain them as they will be relevant for the quests of a proposed journey.

Will all your journeys gonna be made on the same mold?

Definitely no!

There will be different case figures and I’m not going through all of them:
1) A fan-made age without puzzle and where you have a complete freedom: my journey there will mostly be a story that will unfold during the gameplay, the story might or might not be connected with the story of the age itself
2) A fan-made age with many puzzles and in which we cannot progress without solving them: my journey there will be tied to puzzle solving. There will always have an added “skydiving” twist to enhance your gaming experience.
3) A fan-made age with an immersive story already: I won’t create a new story; you’ll follow the story already set in place. You’ll have also a “skydiving” enhancement to enjoy your journey a little bit more.

Some journeys will span over numerous ages, some will be concentrated on 1 age (or 2 ages if they are already tied together).
Some of my quests will be rather easy (even more if you are accustomed with my MOULa’s quests), some will be hard.

In fact each journey is unique. Each has a specific twist.

Some notes on the oddities of markers in URU

In URU the markers are relative to the space not relative to the age itself. You cannot grab them being in a different age but they will definitely show up. I learned it quite fast trying to put markers in both my Relto & Phil’s Relto in the same quest… Let me tell you, it’s weird.

You cannot initially reset a quest & stand inside a marker in URU like we are doing in MOULa. The marker will always be grabbed no matter how many times you are trying. You cannot trick the game easily. There’s one solution but it makes the gameplay less sexy to say the least…read next paragraph to learn why.

If you do open & play a quest in a given age & exit that age after a misstep or by manually reltoing out, upon returning to the age, you’ll see every markers I put in that age no matter if you grabbed them already or not. If you do go through them, they won’t disappear. If you already grabbed them once, you won’t have any effect. If you didn’t touch them yet, you will see the text popping in your chatlog beside the KI but you won’t hear any sound effect. It can be seen as positive or negative depending on your point of view.

There might be other effects not mentioned here. The markers were “perfected” in MOULa when Cyan introduced the purple ones. The yellow ones are far from being easy to deal with. Playing offline with my quests, you become de facto the author so you can go in full edit mode if you want to.

About the cheat modes in URU & my point of view on them

Playing online, you have access to mainly one main cheat mode: the jump command. In many ages, the author(s) decided we wouldn’t be able to cheat by locking up their age. They are called “locked age” when you try to use, let’s say, the jump command.

Playing offline, you have the complete freedom. You have access to the jump command in all the ages plus you have access to the infamous fly mode.

I often say that I like cheating when I’m playing in MOULa shard or in URU or in any other install of this game (e.g. Gehn, Minkata, TOC MOUL, etc.). This is a colloquial way for me to explain that I’m using skydiving (glitching) techniques to achieve a fixed goal.

For me, cheating is to really ease your way in a manner that everything worth doing become useless. Let me tell you, when I go around a puzzle in MOULa, you wouldn’t like to reproduce it yourselves. Using the fly mode or the jump command makes the progress too easy. That’s cheating (in my opinion)!

I’m not allowing cheating in the vast majority of the quests I’m proposing. I’ll sometimes propose you to do a specific (or many) jump using the jump command. If I do let you use the command, it’s because I want you to reach something worthy than cannot be reached otherwise. If there’s a longer & harder way to reach it with skydiving techniques, guess what I put the emphasis on… ;)

Playing offline, you’ll be on your own, you can do what you want. I’ll give you an advice though; if you want to fully enjoy my quests and furthermore my journeys please avoid resolving on cheat command unless I’m clearly stating you must use the jump command.

Offline, if you want to avoid a relto out and replace yourself on the last spot you were before your misstep, use the fly mode to do it, I would lie telling you I don’t do it :lol: . I’m not considering it cheating, it’s more a way to rapidly replace yourself in the quests, adding more immersion 8-) .

Some additional info:

All my journeys are in progress. I might re-order them if I feel let’s say the 5th one is ready before the 3rd one. I don’t want to give you a schedule of release as I learned in the past it’s causing me unnecessary stress putting me too much pressure on my shoulders. I’ll follow the flow. For some background… the 1st journey took me approximately 300 hours at least.

I really hope you'll enjoy immersing yourself in them... :D

P.S. the first journey is now released! Follow this link to learn more about it: http://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=6260
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Re: Annabelle's Journeys inside URU

Postby janaba » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:06 am

C'est incroyable et absolument formidable, chère Madame (ou mademoiselle?) Annabelle!!!... :D

Hihi, no, really, très impressionant ... I've posted my comment on your first journey ... :P
janaba

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion