Elodea

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Elodea

Postby JohnB » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:08 pm

I'd just like to say that the creator of Elodea obviously enjoys torturing Uru players and deserves to be locked in a room somewhere. Somewhere where food and drink are served as often as she wants and has a large computer and any other comfort that she might desire. She should be locked away in great comfort until the other Ages are complete. I suggest a professional masseur also be on hand in case her shoulders get tired or her feet need rubbing.. :)

For those who have not been there, do go. I really cannot describe Elodea without running out of superlatives. The worlds are huge, I don't mean big, I mean huge, like "bring sandwiches, water and a compass" type huge. The textures are beautiful and finding the joins is often darn near impossible. As others have said elsewhere this is a game in its own right and a remarkable and wonderful piece of work.

If you are a player that can't look at anything without thinking "Can I jump up on that?" then this game is for you. These are worlds where climbing the mountains or walking on the ledges are the things to do. Examine everything closely as while hotspots are often well hidden there is always a clue that they are there. ;) And tell your friends that it is out for offline play as well.

I can say that people should take their time, these are huge worlds and it isn't a race. Wander around, explore what has been created and enjoy what has been provided. Dulcamara and others have put great amounts of time and effort into this, to simply run through in a quest to find cloths as quickly as possible means that you will not savour the wonderful worlds that they have provided. My third day of playing and I haven't reached the bottom level of Underword, and I really don't care. I'd rather take time to enjoy the worlds.

Dulcamara, I thank you most sincerely for the incredible time and effort that you have put into these worlds and I look forward to seeing the next installments. You have set a very high standard for those who will follow you. I haven't had this much fun for some time.

*Glitch report* When standing at the head of the sarcophagus in Elodea with the lid open I fell out of the world. Screen went black and I Reltoed (Relto book lower left corner of screen flashed) but I only had a grey screen with my Ki showing. An intentional Relto had no effect and I had to restart the game. (I doubt that it would bother most players as most players don't try to jump into a sarcophagus. :lol: )
JohnB

Re: Elodea

Postby Acorn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:08 am

Hooray, another Elodea fan. :) Well-deserved praise, Dulcamara! :D
Acorn

Postby Samy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:41 am

Yes, I'm completely agree with you! One of the best world ever I see at deep Island, made by a Fan without professional Background! :o thumpsup!

Dulcamara not only talk months and months about her new world; she build and show us her own world! 8-) And that it's really great!
Samy

Postby janaba » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:45 am

I wholeheartedly join this chorus of praise, and it is good to hear and know that more of this greatness and awesomeness is to be anticipated at any time ... :D
janaba

Postby Seppolo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:40 am

I can only confirm. ;)
„Myst will never forgotten“

Seppolo

Postby Annabelle » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:26 am

@JohnB: Are you from Australia? There was a guy in Ae'gura in 2010 & early 2011 that was climbing everywhere and doing combo jumps when the number of skilled explorers for this task could be count on a single hand. I wasn't able to follow him...at first, situation that changed quite fast :lol: ;)

Anyway... yes this world is very awesome. I won't write everything I said on the subject though, I'm a devoted fan :D

JohnB wrote:I can say that people should take their time, these are huge worlds and it isn't a race. Wander around, explore what has been created and enjoy what has been provided. Dulcamara and others have put great amounts of time and effort into this, to simply run through in a quest to find cloths as quickly as possible means that you will not savour the wonderful worlds that they have provided.

Well...it all depends. When you know the world "almost" by heart, it's quicker to go quick by running like a wild goose on the loose. I enjoy the world...at full speed 8-)

I said "almost" because... just as yesterday, I decided to explore one more time (the 100th I think ;) ) Unterwelt and I discovered 2 things I had no clue of their existences: one is a glitch that enables to avoid completely the 1st cloth hidden door puzzle :) , and the other is a illusive ladder beside an broom & a bucket (near the gold mine entrance)...surely there for the maintenance guy to move around click to dust off this "tiny" area :lol:

@JohnB: For your glitch report

JohnB wrote:*Glitch report* When standing at the head of the sarcophagus in Elodea with the lid open I fell out of the world. Screen went black and I Reltoed (Relto book lower left corner of screen flashed) but I only had a grey screen with my Ki showing. An intentional Relto had no effect and I had to restart the game. (I doubt that it would bother most players as most players don't try to jump into a sarcophagus. :lol: )

This glitch happens mainly when you do some nasty activities like jumping all around :lol: I know it I have some experience. The server or the offline game lose you or WANT to lose you, either way you get a black screen & you relto out in the oblivion (grey screen). Even reltoing out, like you tried, doesn't work.

So it's not related to the age itself, it's related to your activities within the age itself. And it has no relation with you jumping on the sarcophagus...I can tell by someone who reported me to have herself inadvertently by pure odd jumped on the sarcophagus to see what would happen and she told me that she didn't crash. In fact, the sarcophagus has to be open to be able to do a run-jump to enter it...well I dunno she told me :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby JohnB » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:18 pm

Guilty as charged my dear Annabelle, that was me. (I thought that jumping into the sarcophagus might have been a hint. ;) )

The situation did change fast and I was always amazed at what you were getting up to. (I still have the pic of 5 Annabelles on the stairs inside the museum sitting in my Ki. ;) ) A number of factors meant that I didn't have the time to be in the cavern as much as I would have liked to and so I dropped out for a while, just going in occasionally. I still do BTW, using the Skydiver exe, but not often.

I do thank you for the compliment, but I never really thought of myself as a "skilled" player, I was too busy trying to keep up with Shellshock and EDM. :lol:

It says a lot for Elodea that it can bring an old reprobate like me back in from the cold. ;) A major and wonderful point is that Dulcamara did something that I always wished Cyan would do. She made the horizontal surfaces solid. This alone would have made the City far more interesting. It is wonderful to be able to climb things and to know that when you jump you won't just keep going. Dulcamara has created a world that you can explore, heck, I found the grate above the Elodea Keyroom before I found the door. I love that.

I don't doubt that a running game will be fun later, but for now I am slowly looking around and savouring the experience. You only get one "First time" in a new Age. :) Once I find the damn switch to open the door near the big gate I will be a happy man. (For those interested it is not inside the lamp post opposite. )

Once again I compliment and thank Dulcamara for creating something that brings back the feeling of seeing Ae'gura for the first time, a place where you stop, look and go "Wow". (And a place to do silly things that if done in real life would either be a messy way to go or result in a full body cast. :lol: )
JohnB

Postby Dulcamara » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:36 am

JohnB wrote:d just like to say that the creator of Elodea obviously enjoys torturing Uru players and deserves to be locked in a room somewhere. Somewhere where food and drink are served as often as she wants and has a large computer and any other comfort that she might desire. She should be locked away in great comfort until the other Ages are complete. I suggest a professional masseur also be on hand in case her shoulders get tired or her feet need rubbing.. :)

I think with this punishment I could live :lol:
Dulcamara

Postby zeke365 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:08 am

I would like to give my review on Elodea. Well I appreciate the work on making this world massive (I"M NOT KIDDING IT IS MASSIVE) but I felt like I was running in an empty world like it was just for exploring (if that what your were aiming for then you did a great job). Most of the time I thought what is the purpose and back story of the age. This is how felt when playing it and I not saying the cloths were not interesting but there no motivation to go look for them. Though I found a few clues to some puzzle of some kind in the 3rd section but I would love to see puzzles and back story implemented in this age to give me more motivation than exploring. That my review.
zeke365

Postby Jhon J. Jaguar » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:58 pm

Shorah all. I have see Elodea in a my exploration, and i can said is a great job. One of the best ages written from the fans. The great dimension, i think, is created for to give to all explorers a sensation who there is ever a new discovery back to the next corner. I don't will critic that job, because i don't think i am qualify to do that. But the job of Dulcamara is a clear demostration who the heart is very important for to give all a new dream were can live with their mind. I believe is possible to read the passion and the love for the art in this age, and that is the master reason for to continue to be explorers of dreams. ;)

P.S. Sorry if my english is not perfect..... i hope it is ever understandable :P
Jhon J. Jaguar

Next

Return to Deep Island