Gehn Shard and General Project Requests

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Gehn Shard and General Project Requests

Postby Acorn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:26 am

Ehren wrote:
I will say, though, that the guild shirt system is a shame since you'd have to keep changing clothes whenever you wanted to visit a different D'ni Pub.

the /saveclothing and /loadclothing commands make changing shirts a great deal easier now :D - you could pick up all the shirts in one Kirel visit, saving each one. Changing into them just means making sure no other explorer is around when you do ;) .
Acorn

Postby Ehren » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:48 am

kaeebonrai wrote:There were far, far more than just 5 Guilds in D'ni, by that logic, so why not make one for all of them? Why just focus on the 5 we have pubs for?

http://drcsite.org/dnifaq.php <-- look at how many Guilds there were =P

EDIT: Guild of Ink-Makers... Guild of Books, or the Archivists.. or, hell, the Guild of /mechanists/, all of those sounds pretty fucking cool. XD If the line is "its a classical D'ni Guild" there's cooler stuff than the cartographers out there =P

Yes I know there are a lot of guilds. I don't know why you would assume I didn't know that. You don't understand my logic. I never said that I thought all D'ni Guilds had to have a pub designed, just that no one should FEEL THAT IT'S POINTLESS to work on a guild area just because there isn't an Uru community representation of it.

"Cooler" is a matter of opinion. Besides, it was someone else who was showing specific interest in the Cartographers' Pub. But if someone seriously wanted to make a Healers' Pub or any other guild, that could also be pretty awesome.
Last edited by Ehren on Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ehren

Postby Tweek » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:54 am

Why bother building Guild Pubs...the D'ni are dead.

(this post brought to you by the letter sarcasm. And the number "build whatever you want if you want to, who really cares if some fan group is defunct doesn't mean the pub wouldn't be cool to explore")
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby janaba » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:44 am

Tweek wrote:Why bother building Guild Pubs...the D'ni are dead.
(this post brought to you by the letter sarcasm. And the number "build whatever you want if you want to, who really cares if some fan group is defunct doesn't mean the pub wouldn't be cool to explore")

Hihi, funny, Tweek, as for the irony ... some even claim to be their descendants having returned home ... :P

And of course, if one feels inspired to build or rebuild something, whatever, go ahead, you're in the right place here ... The GoC, though not active anymore, left behind great material to indulge in and to work with, they had to be asked for permission to use it of course, but a new GoC pub would be, just like the new GoM pub, a great place for all kinds of personalities, group gatherings, presentations and discourses etc. for exciting further and deeper explorations and studies etc., and of course parties lol ... Even without the GoC's approval to use their stuff, though I don't believe they'd ever deny it, there's sufficient awesome material around the official D'niverse that could be used and presented as a gallery and on great imagers and boards etc. ... Yeah, why not making Uru as great as it can be while that is still possible ... :)
janaba

Postby Sirius » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:05 am

Building guild pubs is cool. No matter whether there is an existing fan community behind this guild, people will still link to the pub if it's beautiful. So it's never pointless.
However, I'd rather see a totally new location with puzzles, exploration, challenges, anything. Guild pubs are fine, but they are only meeting places and there isn't anything to do in them.
What I like about Myst and Uru, is both sight-seeing, and puzzle solving (if it's in a creepy setting, it's even better).

So if someone is to start an Age, I'd prefer something new. It doesn't need to be big, but there must be good graphic quality and things to do in it.
For instance, Jalak Dador and Minkata are very simple Ages (compared to Er'cana, Ahnonay, Gahreesen and such). Their sizes are totally different, but either way, they must've been relatively simple to create, there is something interesting to do in them, and they are good looking.

That said, the choice of the Age should always be the artist's, because building in Uru is very tedious, and even an empty but good looking Age will still be appreciated.
Sirius

Postby cskid13 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:08 am

Sirius wrote:However, I'd rather see a totally new location with puzzles, exploration, challenges, anything. Guild pubs are fine, but they are only meeting places and there isn't anything to do in them.
What I like about Myst and Uru, is both sight-seeing, and puzzle solving (if it's in a creepy setting, it's even better).

Don't worry, I have a huge project coming up if I can actually learn the stuff necessary. I know Python now. I'm actually reconsidering my decision to update the Cartographer's Pub. I had some ideas, but I also have some ideas for a Maintainer's Pub. I guess I'll just ask everyone, which would you like to come first?
cskid13

Postby KathAveara » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:07 am

kaeebonrai wrote:There were far, far more than just 5 Guilds in D'ni, by that logic, so why not make one for all of them? Why just focus on the 5 we have pubs for?

I'd definitely like to have a Linguist Pub.
Moula KI: 17967159
DI KI: 00205116
deviantART: kathaveara
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists
KathAveara

Postby Nev'yn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:36 am

Oh, there's going to be more story/content/ect added to the GoMe pub as Gehn updates are released. Most of this will be things to look at, for the fun/humor value, but there will be other additions, as well. The game rooms still need to restored, and getting the gaming tables functional will be a challenge, I'm sure. Ly is also working to restore the audio-recorders, plus the various Messengers may place notes to each other or accidently leave work behind from time to time, ect.

Well gotta go, we're almost out of Columbian...gotta get some more coffee from the storeroom...Now where did Doobes put the spare set of keys?

He's always leaving them in the darnest of places....

;)
KI# 14883206 | "The truth speaks for itself, I am just the messenger." -Lyta Alexander
(Note: Any comments or opinions, taken whole or in part, are mine and do not reflect the stance of GoMe.)
Nev'yn

Postby Doobes » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:58 pm

Tweek wrote:And the number "build whatever you want if you want to, who really cares if some fan group is defunct doesn't mean the pub wouldn't be cool to explore"

Well put!

cskid13 wrote:I'm actually reconsidering my decision to update the Cartographer's Pub. I had some ideas, but I also have some ideas for a Maintainer's Pub. I guess I'll just ask everyone, which would you like to come first?

I'd say that's up to you. It'd be your project, after all. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing either. I would recommend putting screenshots of any work on here and elsewhere (once it's far enough along) to get some honest opinions and helpful suggestions. It can only make things better.

Nev'yn wrote:Now where did Doobes put the spare set of keys?

He's always leaving them in the darnest of places....

Now now, Mr. Nev'yn...I left YOU in charge of those keys. You probably left 'em somewhere and don't want to fess up. :P
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Previous

Return to General Discussion