Problem solvers needed Stack dump error

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Problem solvers needed Stack dump error

Postby Karkadann » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:08 am

been trying to set up the avatar animation for the scope using the multistage behavior component and keep getting this

Exception type: Access violation
Call stack (14 levels):
0x00475CF0
0x00476029
0x00641570
0x00640F3C
0x0064112F
0x0065BA02
0x00655007
0x00635FEA
0x0065C3B4
0x0065851B
0x0066E6AD
0x0066EBCD
0x00687AF6
0x006875E0
<end>

any idea as to what it means or what im doing wrong?
is any one familiar with this component in max enough to know how to set it up?

Thanks in advance
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Re: Problem solvers needed Stack dump error

Postby dendwaler » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:32 am

If it was Blender, I should say " one of the animated objects is not set as actor."
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Karkadann » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:04 am

what exactly is setting a animated object to actor mean?

I know that the linking book avatar animation freeze the avatar if you dont have a link wired in
all I got so far is the three avatar animations involved in the scope wired into the Multistage behavior component on a dummy in a responder
no camera yet and their are (as usual) a lot of options for the Multistage behavior component I do not understand
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Karkadann

Postby dendwaler » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:23 am

An actor ( in blender) are objects that are detected by the near and radar sensor and the collision sensor objects.
If you forget to set this for moving objects in blender then you get this error.

I think its mostly for the Plasma engine that it knows that the object is not static but changes coordinates so it needs "special treatment"
Static objects are placed during initialization and can be ignored furtheron.
Moving objects not, they interact with their environment.
So by setting this "Actor" flag, it is marked as "special"

This is my interpretation so it can be totally wrong , but then someone else will probably make a correction :D
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Karkadann » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:27 am

how would this translate into the Avatar as the moving object, cuz the scope is still static the only physics involved is the clickable which im using a box, clickable component and a no show component?
Karkadann

Postby dendwaler » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:39 am

Everything involved by an event is an actor.
It has different (dynamic) properties

( I thought you had something moving sorry, i readed it wrong my lousy english ;) , but there is a special action in this case)

dendwaler

Postby Karkadann » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:07 pm

I tend to think faster then I can type and I sound a bit confusing at times

what im trying to do is described here
http://www.guildofwriters.org/wiki/Avat ... ist#Scopes
but im trying to do it in Max, im pretty sure its operator malfunction
becuse this is one of the components I am not familiar with.

If and when I do figure it out I plan on posting it in a max file with all the rest of the avatar animation.
hopfully some one will be willing to write a tutorial if not, its just a mater of looking threw the components
and some simple reverse engineering.

Either way when I do post the max file all a max user will have to do is merge all the mesh, object animations if any and the components.
and they will have a working example of a lever, button or what ever they merged, its a quick and usable alternative to setting it up from scratch
every time, and a good time saver I have used in the past
Karkadann

Postby Sirius » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:16 am

Karkadann, when exactly is the game crashing ? Is it on link-in, when clicking the scope, after the avatar walks towards it, after the avatar is done placing his hands on the sides ? I can think of a few things that might crash the game.

Crash on linking: Plasma can't read something, which usually shouldn't happen.

Crash when clicking the scope: that's related to what DenDwaler said, the object does not have a coordinate system. Because of that, the SmartSeek (which forces the avatar to line up with the behavior object) fails finding this system, which might cause Plasma to crash (just guessing). This is also what happens when animating an object which does not have this interface (controlled by the "Actor" button in Blender), because Plasma attempts to store the object's location in this non existing coordinate system.
But if you managed setting up Linking Book animations it shouldn't be the issue.

Crash after the avatar walks towards the scope: somehow the animation in the behavior is not set correctly, although I doubt that's your issue here.

Crash after placing hands on the scope: probably because you use a file named xTelescope (I think) and DIDN'T SET A CAMERA. When using this file, you must set the camera object, because the Python forces Plasma to use this object. Plasma will crash if you don't have this set to a valid camera object (... and yes, I had this issue recently with some other Python script). I think this might be the issue.

As for the behaviors, they are really useful to control the avatar. Want an example ? I used them to rewrite the Wall climbing in Gahreesen ;) .
I don't remember the whole of it, but here is what its properties looks like when exported (settings for a scope will follow):
- Freeze Physical: often false. Never noticed a difference.
- SmartSeek: if set to true, the avatar will line up with the object before playing the animation. Recommended.
- Reverse Forward-Backward control on release: often false. What it does is detailed later.
- Receivers: not sure there is a way to set it up directly, that's the Python component which must control the animation. I think it is automatically set to the one attached to the object.

Animations:
- Name: obviously the animation name, minus (Fe)Male
- Loops: how many times the animation must look before going to the next animation. Used mainly for ladder objects, although in the case of telescopes, you want to set it to -1, to loop forever (or at least, until the Python tells the animation to abort)
- Notify: what kind of notify to set to the receiver. If you want the Python script to receive messages from the multi stage thing. Has three types: on enter (starting animation), on advance (when the animation is done), on loop (when a loop finished executing), and on regress (when animation is playing backward and finished. More details to follow).
- Forward type, Backward type: has three parameters. Auto: automatically play the anim. On key: the player will have to press Up and Down key to run the animation forwards or backwards. Generally used for ladders (when "Reverse Forward-Backward control on release" is set, animation will play backwards if you don't press the up key). None: don't play the animation (rarely used).
- Advance and Regress type: what to do when anim is finished. Auto: automatically go to next (or previous) animation. On key: same as Forward type. None: don't go to another anim.
- Advance and Regress to: if set, when animation is finished it will automatically go to the animation with this number.

Alright, as you can see, lots of stuff here, and generally controlled by Python. Now, settings for the xTelescope.py:
- Make the behavior object have a coordinate interface (don't know how it's done). Make sure the object's origin is where you want the avatar to play the animation
- Attach the Python script to it.
- Freeze physics: False
- Smart Seek: True
- Reverse FB controls: False
- Animation number 0: GlobalScopeGrab, 0 loops, Notify on Advance, Forward and Advance type: auto, the rest to none.
- Animation number 1: GlobalScopeHold, -1 loop (loop forever), no notification, Forward type: auto, the rest to none.
- Animation number 2: GlobalScopeRelease, 0 loops, no notification, Forward and Advance type: auto, the rest to none.

Whew ! That was a long post. Hopefully it should help you figure out how to do this :P
Sirius

Postby Karkadann » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:21 am

Works perfectly thank you and it was just Like I thought, operator malfunction
I forgot to add the python and I had a few settings in the Multistage thingy set wrong

I do still have one question on the xtelescope python their is a text box at the bottom for

Vigrette Dialog - by name

It sounds like some kind of Italian salad dressing :D or was that vinaigrette any way I left it blank but it still worked
Karkadann

Postby Sirius » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:48 am

Hmmm, that's actually the name of a graphic interface to create a vignette effect. It's usually set to "telescope", which loads a texture that blackens the corner of the screen :P
Sirius

Next

Return to Scripting