Seltani: Rearranging the gallery

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Seltani: Rearranging the gallery

Postby belford » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:27 am

I'm afraid not.

(The author knows me from the IF world, not the Myst world, so the announcement appeared on the IF forum.)
belford

Postby belford » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:01 pm

I am currently doing an OS upgrade on the server. Should be back in an hour-ish.
belford

Postby belford » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:59 pm

Hokay, Ubuntu 14 is installed and everything looks good. Please let me know if any part of the system isn't working right.

In the spirit of announcing announcements: on Feb 21, Emily Short's IF Discussion Club will be touring Seltani. (8 PM UK time / 3 PM Eastern / noon Pacific.)

https://emshort.wordpress.com/if-discussion-club/

I figure we will meet in the Seltani District plaza and then tour through a few Ages. (There will probably be more planning as the date approaches.)
belford

Postby belford » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:55 pm

Bump: reminder of above event. Tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon.
belford

Postby belford » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:59 pm

The discussion happened. Emily's transcript: https://emshort.wordpress.com/if-discus ... f-seltani/

Thanks to Pavitra and whoever else showed up from here.
belford

Postby belford » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:18 pm

Also by Emily Short: an Age called Aspel, which is an entry in this year's Spring Thing IF Festival (http://springthing.net/2015/games.html).

Direct Age link: http://seltani.net/portlink/54e8d4946b3d3005e547ec45

"Aspel is an experimental interactive experience designed for multiple players, featuring asymmetric information and collective decision-making."
belford

Postby telyni » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:38 pm

Hello all. Is anyone else interested in a group run of Aspel at a time other than the official tour times? I missed the first one and probably won't be available for the others. I tried looking around Seltani, but after a day, I've only seen one person on (Pavitra) and nobody active. My best times would be 12 noon or 9 pm Eastern Time.

I would also like to announce my first Age, a puzzle age which currently has just one room containing a Seltani implementation of the classic Towers of Hanoi puzzle: http://seltani.net/portlink/5530270e6b3d30052aa0b0d8. I've implemented it with multiplayer observation in mind, but I haven't been able to test any multiplayer features by myself, and I suspect there are several things that may not work quite right with multiple players around. In particular, I don't think taking rings is restricted to one person at a time (I don't know how to do that), so the puzzle is made trivial if multiple people can pick up rings at the same time. If anyone can suggest improvements or help me test/fix the multiplayer sometime, that would be appreciated. Thanks!
telyni

Postby Pavitra » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:39 am

I'd be interested in joining an Aspel group.

Belford, extremely minor bug report: in Caelios, the "sky" link includes the preceding space, like "The sky is etc."
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby telyni » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:40 am

Pavitra, thanks for your help with Hanoi the other day. I didn't fiddle with the multiplayer yet (only one ring can be "held" at a time, and anyone can put it back on a pole), but I did revise the message to be more accurate (now it's "Ring 1 is held" instead of saying "You're holding ring 1"). I also added a small variety of pole/ring colors, so a personal instance will have different color descriptors than the global instance. Just for, y'know, color.

I posted about Aspel over on the intfiction.org forums as well, and there's a guy there who's interested in an Aspel group, so maybe we three can dive into it sometime.

(Edit) That reminds me, it was a bit of a pain to get the ring color to match the appropriate pole color. Apparently, if you try to assign an alt gentext value to another value, it only takes the first option, rather than using the same option it selected everywhere else in the instance. I just revised the code such that I didn't have to use an assigned gentext, but I wondered why it was doing that. Maybe Belford can shed some light on that or suggest an alternative?

To be clearer, this came up because I used a "target" value to determine whether the rings should be the same color as the left pole or the right pole, depending on which way the player triggered the puzzle to start. The puzzle is solved when all the rings are on the matching color pole, so the ring color is the target pole's color. When the colors are static, there's no issue, but when I used gentext to vary them by instance, I was trying to set the "target_color" value to the "left_color" or "right_color" gentext values. Then the rings were being described as a color that didn't match any of the poles, being the first value in the gentext alt list, rather than the one currently in use. I changed it to simply track whether the "left" or "right" pole was the target, and used the appropriate gentext value directly. But is there no way to retrieve the "current" value for use elsewhere for matching purposes?
telyni

Postby Pavitra » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:25 pm

The gentext module always displays its text directly to screen; it's not good at being piped into further code. I'd suggest either re-generating from a common seed each time you want the same color, or else using random instead.
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Previous

Return to General Discussion