Korman 0.01 Released!

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Re: Korman 0.01 Released!

Postby Karkadann » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:45 am

Do you have any plans on adding particle systems and linking books, also will the water feature only work on the z plane like with the plasma plugins or will you be able to have it work on the x and y plane.

Relativity, Camera's and subworlds
Is their a way to get the camera's to follow the AV into the subworlds of Relativity with out all the complicated pythons?
It might get Relativity one step closer to open source

edit to add

You have a very unique opportunity to get Korman and Blender to do stuff you can not do with Max and the Plasma plug-ins
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Doobes » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:22 pm

Karkadann wrote:Do you have any plans on adding particle systems and linking books...

I'm not sure about the other things, but in testing, I've been able to get things to where you click on a Linking Book, step up to it, it pops up, you click the panel and put your hand to the page...and then get stuck. It still needs a node that says to actually link to the Age and we'll be golden on that front, both with Cyan Ages and fan Ages. On a similar subject, I've gotten journals fully working in all versions too (with a few modifications).

Node trees will get complicated in some cases, of course...but so far, it's much better than having to check indentation, spacing, and punctuation of endless lines of AlcScript. And right now, hooking things into a Python script node has been fairly user-friendly as well, with Cyan's default scripts AND custom scripts.
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby Sirius » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:45 pm

+1 for particles ! :P About books: these simply require to hook a Python script with the object, I guess it won't be too complicated. As for the Python script itself, the one I made for Complete Chronicles should be a piece of cake to setup with Korman. Problem is, currently it's only being used for the Offline-KI and DI, and relies on the OKI to handle linking (plus, it's missing a few features which weren't supported by AlcScript, like avatar animations).
I don't know how Korman devs plan to implement this, and what kind of Python script will they use ?...

About water and cameras: these are an issue with the engine itself, unfortunately... Meaning it's possible, but only on MOUL-based versions of the engine. The way Plasma's water works makes it impossible to have non flat water without rewriting most of the shader code. Still, would be very nice to have some kind of plWaveSet8 component, working on any axis, with real normalmapping, lighting, reflections, refractions, etc. *dreams awake*
Removing the constraint forcing the game's camera to always be up wouldn't be so hard, I guess... Assuming it wouldn't break things in existing Cyan's Ages.
And while we're speaking about the engine, per-pixel lighting would be very nice... :P Also, being able to use normalmapping in a simple way would be just GREAT (just like ticking the "normal" button in Blender and poof! normalmap generated).
Sirius

Postby Doobes » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:54 pm

Sirius wrote:About books: these simply require to hook a Python script with the object, I guess it won't be too complicated. As for the Python script itself, the one I made for Complete Chronicles should be a piece of cake to setup with Korman. Problem is, currently it's only being used for the Offline-KI and DI, and relies on the OKI to handle linking (plus, it's missing a few features which weren't supported by AlcScript, like avatar animations).
I don't know how Korman devs plan to implement this, and what kind of Python script will they use ?

So far, I've been able to use the xLinkingBookGUIPopup script for the Nexus book in the Pub. That one's handy for any Cyan Ages (fan Ages don't work with this script). For everything else, it looks like D'Lanor's BookGUI script will take care of any non-Cyan Ages by using the clickable and the name of the Linking Book from the accompanying PageDefs script.

Again, all that's really needed right now is a node that adds a "LinkToAge" entry into the responder and, less importantly, a multistage beh mod for the full effect like Cyan's Linking Books (step up, GUI, click panel, hand to book, Link, hand outstretched...or crouched down...when you Link into the next Age).

Sadly, from what I hear from Deledrius, the former is very complicated to program in (I'm quite sure it's the same with the latter, too).

Things I've gotten to work with Python and Korman in both online and offline URU so far:

- Postable imagers
- Journals
- Visitor Log Imagers

Once we get cameras working, custom GUI dialogs will probably be back in the mix too. :)
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:32 pm

Here's to hoping LinkToAge makes 0.03 ;)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Deledrius » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:49 pm

Sirius, feel free to drop into the IRC channel any time to discuss possible contributions to the plugin or the engine! Enthusiasm and know-how are always welcome.

Doobes wrote:Node trees will get complicated in some cases, of course...but so far, it's much better than having to check indentation, spacing, and punctuation of endless lines of AlcScript. And right now, hooking things into a Python script node has been fairly user-friendly as well, with Cyan's default scripts AND custom scripts.

I'm hoping we can probably set up some wizards that auto-populate some common node trees. You're doing a lot of good trailblazing testing work that will help up be able to build those. ;)

Doobes wrote:Sadly, from what I hear from Deledrius, the former is very complicated to program in (I'm quite sure it's the same with the latter, too).

It's not so much that it's complicated (at least, I hope not) but that the bindings haven't been written yet in our base library, libHSPlasma (it's what performs the heavy-lifting of all the Plasma data reading/writing for multiple versions). We can't just quickly add LinkToAgeMsg to Korman without also writing the library code for that one, which is an additional load of work that we didn't get to yet. I echo Hoikas' hope for 0.03.

Fortunately and frustratingly, we've been coming across a lot of stubbed code in our library. Frustrating because it means that adding something simple to Korman requires extra backend work, but fortunate because Korman is giving an excuse for the library to become more complete. :D
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Szark » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:43 am

Oh man this will be a game changer, no pun intended. Since I can never get a team together this plug-in should help me build my vision myself. To everyone involved in making this a reality I would like to say a big THANK YOU and when people ask is Uru dead we can say a definite no.
Szark

Postby Szark » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:50 am

Doobes wrote:
tachzusamm wrote:So many talented Writers blocked in creative flow by the need of understanding the internals and writing unintuitive AlcScript. :D

The new nodes system takes a bit of getting used to, but it's MUCH better than AlcScript. By far. ;)
First excellent work on the Wiki...I can understand it all yep even the nodes. Having learnt Cycles nodes these look so familiar and intuitive. Top stuff.
Szark

Previous

Return to Guild News