All Fan Ages in 2 Files - Link in OP

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Re: All Fan Ages in 2 Files

Postby Korovev » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:52 pm

I meant privileges to edit the Wiki ;)

Actually, this shouldn’t take me that long; however, this would be a massive edit of the Gallery page and basically an updated copy of the UAM Wiki Gallery, so I’d like to first hear from the admins if they’re OK with it (what with that being Dustin’s Wiki). I would leave a link whenever I add a walkthrough from there, but omit those that just say “explore!”.

By the way, is there a way to hide sections with the Wiki syntax, something like the ‘spoiler’ BBcode tag? Found.
Last edited by Korovev on Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby Annabelle » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:11 pm

That's a great revision you did there janaba!

All the latest ages are there and quite a few references to a certain "Annabelle"... I wonder who she is? ;)
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby janaba » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:36 am

Thank you, Annabelle ... :P

As for the 'Annabelle' you're referring to, she's a very interesting and impressive personality, maybe one day, when you'll meet her in person, you will agree ... :)
janaba

Postby janaba » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:36 am

With all due respect to your good intentions, Korovev, but I just had a look through the Wiki pages for the ages, and I now imagine there to be added about 100 ages more ... :P

The same applies to the gallery, which also really only is a gallery, but ok, walkthroughs and links could be added, I've seen those hiding tags (everything is in the docs and PDFs btw, no need to look somewhere else), but really, about 100 ages more (without Karkadann's Relto pages and Minkata soccer etc.) ... that's not an easy job to be done in a short amount of time ...

Ok, however, what immediately catched my eye and made me wonder, when looking onto the Gallery page is this

This page is meant as a gallery where you can post screenshots of your Ages. The Age should be available for download, for example from the Uru Age Manager.

Guidelines:
Keep screenshots at a maximum resolution of 800x600
Make a new second level header for each of your Ages
Don't forget to mention your name
Only post screenshots of other people's Ages with their permission

So, maybe sth comprehensive like the PDF versions isn't really intended and appropriate here atm or in general, besides that this section addresses first and foremost the age creators themselves, others only with permission ... maybe there could be a link added to the 'Gallery' or in the 'Ages' category and page leading to my files on MediaFire (I cannot think of any reason to ever remove them there by now) or to somewhere else, maybe you'd like to host them on the GoW server yourselves (just in case lol) ... 8-)

Ok, that's what came to my mind when looking through everything and contemplating the options from my limited point of view ... :)
janaba

Postby Korovev » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:58 am

I would only add items to the Gallery, not create new Pages (e.g. compare the gallery and the page for Sonavio); I will leave that to the respective authors :lol:
Extracting the text from the .doc files and adding some wiki syntax takes just a few hours total. Adding the images (not more than one per Age, I guess, so not a complete move from your files) takes a bit longer, but I could do that a few at a time.
The real issue I think is quoting large portions of text from the UAM wiki; of course, I could just omit the walkthroughs entirely, if that is preferable.
Korovev

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:04 pm

I've got no issue with the gallery page being updated, but I would prefer for things to not be copied from the aforementioned wiki, given the rather nasty message at the top of every page. I wouldn't want us to have to link back to those pages for licensing purposes.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby janaba » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:05 am

Korovev, Adam and all interested, the pictures in the documents, even if some might look similar, are all mine (and thus yours lol) ... The ones on that Wiki were mostly outdated, and so I've visited all ages again, to have some more and esp. new versions ... :P

In the course of updating and improving the documents, the text parts where also partially added by me (newer ages) or at least largely elaborated on and refined as for the type face etc. for better readability (not all typos removed yet though), and most links, esp. the ones leading to the GoW or the authors' own websites were added by me after research ... The links to the UAM Wiki, if available (not all ages are listed there), were added as a credit in a way, for the sake of and just in case ...

So, maybe one could say that this is in many ways not the original UAM Wiki information anymore, but I'm not competent enough, in such cases, to know exactly if that'd be sufficient to use everything completely as it is in whatever way ... maybe better just use the texts, where there is no UAM link added, except the additional links I've been researching myself, but the pictures are all ours ... :)
janaba

Postby Korovev » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:06 am

janaba wrote:Korovev, Adam and all interested, the pictures in the documents, even if some might look similar, are all mine

That’s a relief, I was starting to worry about that too :)

The text is in place; in the next days I’ll add the images.
I think it would be clearer to change the ‘Work in Progress’ category into ‘Unreleased’ (or in some cases ‘Abandoned’ – is Versea still under development?), where applicable. Even better, for those Ages under active development, would be to have the DRC phase they’re in.
Korovev

Postby janaba » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:20 am

Awesome job, Korovev, very impressive, and I'm glad that I'm not seeing a janaba added to every picture lol, you could do this of course, but you are the contributor here ... :P

Speaking of pictures, I see that there are still some that are smaller (640x something), I don't like this inconsistency (maybe you don't mind) ... So, if you like you can wait a little while, or just replace them afterwards, because I'm now sitting and sifting through all the pictures again to replace the smaller ones, which escaped my attention before lol, those are not very many, but some, and as you know, with every picture you remove, the whole is shifting lol, so, it'll take a little longer than just a few minutes, but not very long either, I'm uploading the new documents within the next few hours, I'll tell you here ... :)
janaba

Postby janaba » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:40 am

Ok, Korovev, I'm going for a double post, so that you know that there's something new here ... :P

I'm ready, editing the files ... I've now replaced all smaller pictures (640x sth) with bigger ones (800x600 resp. 800x500 sth), there were still more than I thought there'd be, about 15 or 20 or so, but ok, now you can choose any of those pictures, they will all fit in nicely ... So, the documents are new and I've created new PDFs as well as everything was a bit more adjusted again, and I've added a new or better picture here and there (only very few) ... As always, you can download them from the known link to my MediaFire account ... Now it's your turn again, if you like ... Have a great day and time ... :)
janaba

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion