Korman 0.02 Released!

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Re: Korman 0.02 Released!

Postby Sirius » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:04 am

Ah, indeed ! Glad to see it was that simple to fix ! ;)

Where the heck did my animation go anyway ? Guess I deleted it by accident. Ah well, stupid me...
Sirius

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:57 pm

Nice. Although Korman should warn you about the animation being deleted instead of returning a None object inside the converter :roll:
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Sirius » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:35 pm

Some more feedback ! I've got two things to report.

First one is about detector regions using a Coordinate Interface. In my case it's a region parented to an animated object (using the parenting fix available on the GitHub repo), but it might also occur on regions animated directly.
The region's physics end up being warped at the world's origin, instead of where they are supposed to be. This is because Korman computes the region's physics from the object's origin instead of the world origin (which is the correct way to do it), but doesn't tell Plasma to also compute physics from the object's origin.
It doesn't seem to affect other physical objects, but it might be a good idea to have Korman automatically set a weight different from zero and the kPinned flag to any physical objects having a coordinate system, just in case. Myst V Ages converted to Uru suffer from this issue, and from what I've seen this trick always fixes everything with no side effect.
Well, except for sprites having collisions, in which case it breaks the sprite. But nobody is likely to do so...

Second one is about stencils. Korman always forces stencils to be clipped. While this is correct behavior for "blend" texture types (since that's also how Blender handles them), it makes using tileable stencils using images impossible to use. I'm not sure there are many people using tileable stencils in their Ages, but still :D I think forcing the clamp flags should only be done for "blend" textures.
The code modification is quite simple:
File korman/exporter/material.py, line 176, replace:
Code: Select all
state.clampFlags |= hsGMatState.kClampTexture

with:
Code: Select all
if slot.texture and slot.texture.type == "BLEND":
    state.clampFlags |= hsGMatState.kClampTexture

(yeah, I guess I could simply put that in a pull request, but I've been too lazy to have Korman cloned on my PC yet :roll: )
Sirius

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:48 pm

Sirius wrote:(yeah, I guess I could simply put that in a pull request, but I've been too lazy to have Korman cloned on my PC yet :roll: )

That's why github has its own editor on the site ;).

I do have lots of commentary about various things I've seen posted and requested about Korman. I've just been a whole heck of a lot busier than I thought I would be. I guess I thought it would be easier since I technically only have two different subjects to teach this year. Shows what I know :P.
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Sirius » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:00 am

:lol: Right, I guess I can take a moment to clone Korman and write such small modification myself :)

That's also a good occasion to start learning how Korman works internally, which means I could also help with coding bigger fixes/additions. It's a shame some features are still only available in PyPRP ;)
Sirius

Postby Chacal » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:59 pm

After countless eons, Chacal's sleep is disturbed.
There is... a sound, a smell perhaps?
A change. Something is happening.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Sirius » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:04 pm

Hey Chacal ! Been a while ! :D I hope you're doing fine. Welcome back !
Sirius

Postby Rayhdeeyoh » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:08 am

Hello, I hope this is the right thread for this question. I looked for the most recent one...

I'm trying to get Korman to work on Mac OS X 10.10.5, documenting my progress as I go along, in hopes of being able to share the info as a tutorial later on.

After lots of fiddling and getting paths to point to the right places, I was able to build libHSPlasma.dylib and PyHSPlasma.so. At first I used the most recent Blender version (2.76), but when I tried to activate Korman I got an import error. Since it says in the Windows tutorial that any error at this point is probably the result of a wrong Blender installation, I downloaded the last 32-bit version of Blender for Mac (2.71). On trying to activate Korman it now complains of not finding the right architecture for PyHSPlasma (my build is 64-bit only).

So before I try to build a 32-bit version of HSPlasma (which means digging into CMake, which I don't know the first thing about), my questions are:
- has anyony tried this, and is there something else I should do?
- is it somehow possible to run in 64-bit, since 32-bit Blender is no longer supported on Mac OS X anyway? I understand this would limit export capabilities, but I could live with that for now.

Thanks for any info and/or pointers!
Rayhdeeyoh

Postby Christian Walther » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:49 pm

I believe there is no suitable PhysX SDK for Mac OS X, so you are out of luck if you want to export to MOUL format. :( But I haven’t checked lately, so I may be wrong.
Christian Walther

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:43 pm

You are correct in thinking that there is a benefit in running a 32-bit Korman setup, namely, being able to export to the MOUL format. Unfortunately, this feature is limited to Windows only because there is no PhysX 2.6 for Mac OSX AFAICT. Given that the benefit of running 32-bit Korman on Mac is nil and that you already have a 64-bit PyHSPlasma built, I would suggest using 64-bit Blender.
Tsar Hoikas

PreviousNext

Return to Guild News