Korman 0.05 Released!

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Korman 0.05 Released!

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:50 pm

After entirely too long, Korman 0.05 is upon us! Korman 0.05 represents 42 commits and aproximately 1,700 lines of code changed from the previous version. Please note that Korman requires Blender 2.77 or higher. The highlighted feature in this release is the ability to better control lighting and material blending in your ages. Please note that this release includes some changes that may impact your ages or ability to export--these are marked with asterisks.

Changes in this release:
  • Added the ability to animate lamp color and energy
  • Added the ability to animate omni lamp attenuation
  • Added the ability to animate SFX volumes
  • Added the ability to animate spot lamp cone size
  • Added the ability to bind texture animations to SDL variables
  • Added the ability to export realtime shadow casters
  • Added the ability to toggle depth test settings on textures
  • Added the Render > Lighting modifier to allow better understanding of lighting results
  • * Changed the Animation Command Message node to prevent subtle bugs
  • Cleaned up the Animation Group modifier
  • ** Fixed an issue in which all faces were exported with 'smooth' shading
  • Fixed an issue in which exported Responders could get stuck
  • *** Fixed an issue in which lamp falloff values were exported incorrectly
  • Fixed an issue in which Sound Messages would crash the exporter
  • Fixed an issue in which the static light baking function would generate tons of garbage light groups and not remove them
  • **** Improved the exporting of stencils such that the result in Uru will more closely match the Blender preview.
  • Limited all meshes to 0x8000 vertices to prevent URU crashes
  • Reenabled Blender's Material Transparency panel

Remember that Korman is still in beta (that's why the first number in the version is a zero). Development has already begun on Korman 0.06 and will focus more on age wiring. There are already a few things done and a few more in the pipeline. I won't spoil all of the surprises, but I will say that Korman 0.06 will have both a 32-bit and a 64-bit installer. I know several of you have been looking forward to that :)

Breaking Changes
* - Animation Command nodes now require the Blender Object name to be specified if you are targeting a Texture animation. The export will fail if you do not update your nodes.

** - Blender faces are shaded either "smooth" or "flat". Blender's default is "flat", however, Korman previously always exported faces with "smooth" shading. Korman now exports your faces based on what you have set each face to shade as. This change will make the Blender preview and result in URU more consistent.

*** - Previously, Korman exported lamp falloff incorrectly. Standard lamps were exported with a falloff value of half the value specified in Blender while sphere falloff values have been doubled. You will need to tweak your falloff values accordingly to regain the old functionality.

**** - Previously, Korman exported stencils such that they only affected a single layer. However, in the Blender preview, stencils affect all preceding layers. Korman now exports stencil layers such that the result in Plasma matches the Blender preview. Note however that there is a maximum of 6 stencils per material.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Re: Korman 0.05 Released!

Postby Kayara » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:03 am

Will Korman work with the portable version of Blender too?
Kayara

Postby Deledrius » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:18 pm

Kayara wrote:Will Korman work with the portable version of Blender too?

It absolutely should. If you encounter any problems with it, please report them. :)
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Marengo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:17 am

Kaeyara wrote:Will these awesome pre workout supplements work portable version of Blender too?

It works perfect for me.
Last edited by Marengo on Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
Marengo

Postby Deledrius » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Marengo wrote:
Kayara wrote:Will Korman work with the portable version of Blender too?

It works perfect for me.

Excellent!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby BeckaP » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:52 pm

Hopefully this is OK to ask here. . .

Can Korman be installed on a Linux computer? I've been looking around and can only seem to find a Windows installer.
BeckaP

Postby Deledrius » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:18 am

We don't currently have any installers for Linux, and I have not tried it myself, but it should work fine! You will however have to build some of the dependencies (string_theory, libHSPlasma, korlib) yourself as we don't have anything prepackaged currently.

If that's something you feel comfortable doing, you should be good to go almost right away. If you require assistance, I'll be glad to help.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby BeckaP » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:01 am

Thanks Deledrius! I'll let you know how it goes.
BeckaP

Postby dendwaler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:42 am

A few question around lightmaps in Korman 0.05

I noticed if i make a lightmap for an object in,... lets say , in layer 3.
and i have enabled in the " Active Render Layer" also layer 3, then you get an error when previewing the lightmap.

It says "No valid images found to bake to "

As soon as i choose any other layer as active render layer in the lightmap section, then there is no problem.
Is that a Bug or a Feature?

Korman generates its own lightmaps, is it a shadowmap only?... or does it include Ambient Occlusion?

If a lightmap is generated, does it belong to the object or is it part of the material applied to the object?
I mean, can i still share the same material with other objects, or parts of other objects, or does it also carry over pieces of the lightmap.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:18 pm

Good questions, I think I can answer most of them.

dendwaler wrote:I noticed if i make a lightmap for an object in,... lets say , in layer 3.
and i have enabled in the " Active Render Layer" also layer 3, then you get an error when previewing the lightmap.

It says "No valid images found to bake to "

As soon as i choose any other layer as active render layer in the lightmap section, then there is no problem.
Is that a Bug or a Feature?

Are you certain that you are enabling layer 3? The Korman lightmap modifier by default has all layers enabled. You might actually be disabling layer 3. I think I have seen in the past that disabling the layer that an object is on will cause the bake process to fail. Unfortunately, Blender will only tell us "No valid images found to bake to," so the error message is kind of useless :|. If this is the case, we should probably add some code to check for errors such as the layer the object is on not being selected.

dendwaler wrote:Korman generates its own lightmaps, is it a shadowmap only?... or does it include Ambient Occlusion?

If a lightmap is generated, does it belong to the object or is it part of the material applied to the object?
I mean, can i still share the same material with other objects, or parts of other objects, or does it also carry over pieces of the lightmap.

Lightmaps are actually an entire separate "stage" inside the exporter. Before any objects are exported, Korman looks to see if you have any lightmap modifiers applied to any objects or if it should bake vertex lighting. Korman goes through each lightmapped object, selects all the vertices, applies uv mapping as you describe here, and switches to a temporary lightmap texture. Then Korman bakes batches of objects that have the same layer selections to those temporary textures. The bake is a "Full Render" with textures switched off (see the code here). When each object is exported later, the lightmap modifier manually adds the lightmap to the exported material(s), so your Blender Material is not changed in any way. You can reuse them :)

I am uncertain if all of this includes AO, as I am not certain what implications "Full Render" has. I have some old, old code that adds an Ambient Occlusion modifier, but I'm not sure if it's needed. I can look into it for a later release, if need be (maybe 0.08--0.06 has become a huge release already, and I'd like to limit the scope of 0.07 as much as possible so it can come out faster). Maybe Deledrius can offer some input here.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Next

Return to Guild News