Resurrecting a Hood in MOULa

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Re: Resurrecting a Hood in MOULa

Postby Theo1728 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:07 pm

I’ll keep the information on contacting Adam in mind for the future, but for the fact that he has commented in this forum thread I’ll presume that he’s following it as it develops. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

At the moment, I’m keeping the Hood bumped in the Nexus, but my daily coverage through this activity may be limited. I can recall a popular Bevin once that not only required people join with an avatar, but required that it be the player’s primary avatar. I only know of one exception that was granted. The waiting period for experienced players who wanted to join was at least a week, three weeks for inexperienced players. Eventually it reached about 68 members and over 300 invitees, and it was kept on “Private” to keep the griefers out of the nightly circle discussions and other activities in the Bevin.

I have no intention of applying such constraints. I am considering three levels of involvement: Members, Invitees and Subscribers.

Members would be those who actually join the Hood, and along with being Hood members they would have the ability to vote on anything and everything that matters in running the Hood, and their efforts would be coordinated by interactive, "Connected" KI-mails, (a sign of trust, probably re-sent weekly or monthly).

Invitees would receive an Invitation Link so that they can access the Hood whether Public or Private, but will not be involved in managing the Hood organization. They would be notified of events and activities by Non-interactive, "Disconnected" KI-mails, (timing and content about the same as the connected KI-mails, except for those dealing with Hood politics, which would be omitted).

Subscribers would receive notifications of events and activities by Non-interactive, "Disconnected" KI-mails as long as they wish to remain on the list, but no other standing benefits. Basically a mailing list with no obligations or other connections.

So, involvement at whatever level people want, and not much lost if they only want to participate in events without choosing, running or planning them. No need to change Hoods or create a new avatar, we'll take what we can get.

Age-building and Python programming? That was Zeke365’s vision. Maybe it’ll get there, but that’s not what I’m working on right now. If I get much of an expression of interest, I expect most of our early activities will be scheduled expeditions into various Fan Ages and Developments as a place to start. The primary draw will be where people can go and what they can see, hopefully more fun as a group than exploring solo. My primary model for this is the Cavern Tours that have been so successful of late. I’m not the right person to talk to people about Age-building and Python programming, and I know it.
Theo1728

Postby Deledrius » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:13 pm

Theo1728 wrote:I’m not the right person to talk to people about Age-building and Python programming, and I know it.

What sort of resources do you require?
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Theo1728 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:57 pm

What do I require?
"Require" is kind of a strong word here.... I probably require greater interest and involvement than I'm gonna get from the Cavern Crowd, plain and simple, sad but true. New people visit the Hood every day, but none of them have KI-Mailed Obelisk with any Expressions of Interest. This could be a Real Short Trip.

It's a lot easier to write about things that I want.

I want to know how to Post outside graphics to the Imagers. You know what I intend to use it for, and beyond the Hood I would probably post to Guild Pub Imagers as well (five images just isn't enough). I realize that it may be necessary to keep such how-to information restricted from public view, as the wrong people could post offensive or illegal content with it, as offensive verbal content already exists in Gehn Shard, the EULA ("Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!") notwithstanding.

I want to learn how to help players through troubleshooting Shard installations when it seems their equipment is not supporting them.

I want to learn how to set up and run TeamSpeak3 and SKYPE channels to serve to coordinate group activities, whether the shards have Voice-Chat or not.

Beyond that, I want a great many more things that don't relate to Dev's' Hood:

I want the obscene and offensive content in Gehn Shard removed (he's talking about my friends there) and the author banned (and if your EULA doesn't have the teeth for that task, add them! And maybe I'll be lucky; maybe Grimhilde's been following this thread and will take it down before you can find it).

I want Korman to operate at such a level that it will be possible to add all of the Blender-created content in Deep Island to Gehn Shard, Minkata Shard and MOULa (that doesn't mean you'll actually want to add it all).

I want Uru: Deep Island to provide the kind of privacy and security that my group was only able to obtain from UAM Shard, confident that our unfinished work-in-progress would remain private until we were ready to show it publicly.

As regards Age Building, I want to learn how to do real geometric construction in Blender, (I was pretty good in AutoCAD, VersaCAD, CATIA), and then how to do everything else.

In Gehn Shard, at some time in the near future I'll want help with a Pellet Drop and an Ahnonay Spin, and eventually I'll want to find a Gateway Nexus book at the rear center of the K'veer Balcony.

I'll be lucky if I live to see most of that, but just writing about it helps a little.
Theo1728

Postby Tweek » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:05 pm

Theo1728 wrote:I want to know how to Post outside graphics to the Imagers. You know what I intend to use it for, and beyond the Hood I would probably post to Guild Pub Imagers as well (five images just isn't enough). I realize that it may be necessary to keep such how-to information restricted from public view, as the wrong people could post offensive or illegal content with it, as offensive verbal content already exists in Gehn Shard, the EULA ("Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!") notwithstanding.

Well we already told you how to do that, you have to email Cyan and then send them the images you want to use.

I want to learn how to help players through troubleshooting Shard installations when it seems their equipment is not supporting them.

I want to learn how to set up and run TeamSpeak3 and SKYPE channels to serve to coordinate group activities, whether the shards have Voice-Chat or not.

Google how to set up Teamspeak and Skype,

Beyond that, I want a great many more things that don't relate to Dev's' Hood:

I want the obscene and offensive content in Gehn Shard removed (he's talking about my friends there) and the author banned (and if your EULA doesn't have the teeth for that task, add them! And maybe I'll be lucky; maybe Grimhilde's been following this thread and will take it down before you can find it).

I want Korman to operate at such a level that it will be possible to add all of the Blender-created content in Deep Island to Gehn Shard, Minkata Shard and MOULa (that doesn't mean you'll actually want to add it all).

I want Uru: Deep Island to provide the kind of privacy and security that my group was only able to obtain from UAM Shard, confident that our unfinished work-in-progress would remain private until we were ready to show it publicly.

As regards Age Building, I want to learn how to do real geometric construction in Blender, (I was pretty good in AutoCAD, VersaCAD, CATIA), and then how to do everything else.

In Gehn Shard, at some time in the near future I'll want help with a Pellet Drop and an Ahnonay Spin, and eventually I'll want to find a Gateway Nexus book at the rear center of the K'veer Balcony.

I'll be lucky if I live to see most of that, but just writing about it helps a little.

As the rest of it, then learn how to do it. I wanted to build Ages...so I got blender, read tutorials and did it. I wanted to build websites, so I learned HTML and CSS. I wanted to draw and paint so I learned how to do it.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Deledrius » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:49 pm

Theo1728 wrote:I want the obscene and offensive content in Gehn Shard removed (he's talking about my friends there) and the author banned (and if your EULA doesn't have the teeth for that task, add them! And maybe I'll be lucky; maybe Grimhilde's been following this thread and will take it down before you can find it).

Wait, what? I'm not sure I even understand what you're asking about here. What obscene and offensive content in Gehn Shard?

If you are aware of something obscene in the forum or on our server, please report it immediately.

Tweek wrote:As the rest of it, then learn how to do it. I wanted to build Ages...so I got blender, read tutorials and did it. I wanted to build websites, so I learned HTML and CSS. I wanted to draw and paint so I learned how to do it.

Same here. But not everyone excels at self-guided learning. There's nothing wrong with asking for tutors (or tutorials). Demanding them would be a different story, of course.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Tweek » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Quite so, my point was if you want something to happen sometimes you need to take the initiative and do it or ask someone for help and not wait for people to come to you.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Tweek

Postby Theo1728 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:02 pm

Gotcha. Who at Cyan should I email the images to? Will they be able to handle 21 images a week? That would do for three new images a day and two pages of text in the Hood Imager. Of course, if I want to max out a Guild Pub Imager, the count goes up considerably. A name. Please give me a name at Cyan.

Learning how to troubleshoot Shard installations will be on a case-by case basis. I expect no shortcuts on this, I can only hope for the help of more experienced practitioners.

Obscene and offensive content: Gehn Shard, Grimhilde's Hood, Left-hand Imager. Grimmy, after running long strings of letters in previous postings that got him banned from MOULa by Cyan, has taken to inserting single underscores in four-letter expletives to get them past the autocensor. After a full screen of ranting about the kinds of common behaviors in MOULa that he doesn't like, he uses the remaining four screens to decry eight well known players as "Known Griefers": Zesty of Xeniphers, MystiRose, face in puddle man, Magic Joker, TOOO, Susa'n, [x] aka KaajaLaroo aka Kaaja and Malaclypse. I know and care about some of these people. I will not try to reproduce the text here. Sickening.

Tweek suggests that I can learn how to deal with this filth from tutorials and such... It would take me an extended period of time, perhaps hours of cycling through Hoods and Bevins, to run Grimmy's Hood off the bottom of the Nexus, but Grimmy could restore it to the top with a single visit. Am I to learn how to administrate a Shard and compete for the position? Learn how to hack your server from Kali tutorials? I respect the established role of the systems administrator, and here's my report of content that shouldn't be in Gehn Shard. Grimmy was not "excellent" to these explorers, and I don't think that his further presence or return should be tolerated.

What I want from Korman and Uru: Deep Island are features that they probably don't have yet. I expect that the work being done on them is coming from others more qualified than I, and I welcome word of their progress. I'd like to advance the state of the art, I really would, but right now I work for a living.

As regards geometric construction in Blender, if anyone here can recommend a tutorial that addresses my issues, I'd love to see it. Last time I saw a tutorial on doing precision work in Blender, it recommended doing the geometric construction in another CAD system and Exporting><Importing through DXF format. I did well in other CAD systems in my working life, but I'm no longer working in design or engineering and I simply can't afford them at present. All I needed to do was try to model an extended structure of truncated octahedra, do some three-dimensional tiling or build an octet truss, and I knew that I was in trouble. A friend tried to help me out with it once, but we were using TeamSpeak3 for voicechat, and ran into some kind of feedback that he found intolerable. It should be pretty simple, really: I just want to create two irregular primitives, move and orient one as desired, move the other until two corners are coincident, then rotate it until two edges are coincident, then rotate it about that edge until two faces meet exactly without a gap and without penetration. Then do it again, and again, until I have what I wanted to build. It was stuff I could do in CATIA with fairly little trouble, but I no longer do the kind of work that would justify owning and licensing a CATIA station.

The Pellet Drop and Ahnonay Spin are child's play by comparison, but the system is explicitly designed so that I can't do them solo. Same for the Door Runs. Will a schedule be published for upcoming Door Runs in Gehn Shard?

Thanks again,

Theo
Theo1728

Postby Deledrius » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:16 pm

Theo1728 wrote:Obscene and offensive content: Gehn Shard, Grimhilde's Hood, Left-hand Imager. Grimmy, after running long strings of letters in previous postings that got him banned from MOULa by Cyan, has taken to inserting single underscores in four-letter expletives to get them past the autocensor. After a full screen of ranting about the kinds of common behaviors in MOULa that he doesn't like, he uses the remaining four screens to decry eight well known players as "Known Griefers": Zesty of Xeniphers, MystiRose, face in puddle man, Magic Joker, TOOO, Susa'n, [x] aka KaajaLaroo aka Kaaja and Malaclypse. I know and care about some of these people. I will not try to reproduce the text here. Sickening.

This is quite literally the first I've heard of this, and content of that sort is disgusting and most certainly not allowed or tolerated on Gehn. I just confirmed your observation and have passed it on to Hoikas. Thank you for reporting this. If you learn of things like this again, please let us know so that we can deal with it immediately.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Acorn » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:04 am

If you wank to ask Cyan to upload pics to your viewer then, as per my previous post, they will need to be in the correct format. I suggest you contact Vicki at Cyan and explain what you are after. She can tell you the format, and whether Cyan is currently resourced to be able to help. What you are asking sounds as though it will be a lot of work for Cyan so you might want to consider a large CAVCON donation :lol: or more sensibly, to make a more modest request.

Aside from carefully considering the scale of your ask, though, do you think that asking Cyan to post pics from City of Dimensions is going to be the right way to get them onside, given it is a hack of their assets and IP?

If you want help with Ahnonay etc in Gehn, then feel free to ask for help in a separate thread, saying when you'd like to do it - there is usually someone who will help. And/or DM me if a UK timezone is compatible with when you'll be online.
Acorn

Postby Tweek » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:47 am

Theo1728 wrote:Tweek suggests that I can learn how to deal with this filth from tutorials and such... It would take me an extended period of time, perhaps hours of cycling through Hoods and Bevins, to run Grimmy's Hood off the bottom of the Nexus, but Grimmy could restore it to the top with a single visit. Am I to learn how to administrate a Shard and compete for the position? Learn how to hack your server from Kali tutorials? I respect the established role of the systems administrator, and here's my report of content that shouldn't be in Gehn Shard. Grimmy was not "excellent" to these explorers, and I don't think that his further presence or return should be tolerated.

Tweek suggested no such thing. I suggested learning how to do the myriad of other items you had listed which should be been fairly obvious. I'm hardly going to condone learning to hack someone else's shard now am I?
Beneath - IC Blog.
Tweek

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion