Creating Ages using an iMac

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Creating Ages using an iMac

Postby boblishman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:32 am

Still frustrated at not being able to build using a Mac.
I did however have a crazy idea: to install the WINDOZE version of Blender 2.77a using Wineskin and then install Korma into the wrapper.

I CAN get the Korma installer to run in the Wrapper BUT I can NOT get BLENDER to run under Wineskin.
If someone could manage that then maybe, just maybe, there's a chance that we could bring Age Creation to the Mac.
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Postby Deledrius » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm

boblishman wrote:Still frustrated at not being able to build using a Mac.
I did however have a crazy idea: to install the WINDOZE version of Blender 2.77a using Wineskin and then install Korma into the wrapper.

I CAN get the Korma installer to run in the Wrapper BUT I can NOT get BLENDER to run under Wineskin.
If someone could manage that then maybe, just maybe, there's a chance that we could bring Age Creation to the Mac.

That is a pretty crazy idea! ;)

The much easier option is to just use it natively. I've successfully used Korman with 64-bit Blender on OSX 10.9, so it's certainly possible. It works great! :)
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby boblishman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:02 pm

errr ... how did you install Korman when it's only available as a Windows .exe file?

I'm so lost now...

.... help ...
boblishman

Postby Deledrius » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:00 pm

boblishman wrote:errr ... how did you install Korman when it's only available as a Windows .exe file?

As one of the developers of Korman, I built my own plugin (since I had a lack of monitor for a few months, I was stuck doing a lot of work on a borrowed MacBook). It wasn't trivial, even though (as discussed here: viewtopic.php?p=71454#p71454) the plugin supports 64-bit builds now, I had a lot of trouble getting it to properly run inside of the Mac version of Blender. I'm still not sure the cause, since I was building it with ostensibly the same version of Python. The solution that got it working for me was to also build my own copy of Blender using the same libraries. Clearly this is not a solution for most users. :p Hopefully either myself or someone much more savvy on this topic can figure out what's going wrong, and we'll be able to provide a working version for Mac users with Korman 0.06 (though I cannot make any promises on that).
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby boblishman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:28 am

Very interesting, very interesting indeed. So... my next question is likely to be a bit obvious but here it is anyway:

Would you be prepared to share your blender build (incorporating Korman) with us?

As Blender is freely available, as is Korman, and it's actually YOUR build, I don't see any legal reason it could not be shared.

However, I have no idea if it's possible technically.

*waits with (a)bated breath* ... :?
boblishman

Previous

Return to Building