Korman 0.05 Released!

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Re: Korman 0.05 Released!

Postby J'Kla » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:14 am

Thanks for the update ;-)
J'Kla

Postby dendwaler » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:56 am

I assume this is what the doctor ordered, denwaler? :)

Exactly ....that! thank you.

Another question.
It seems not possible to blend two textures in either Blend type ( value, overlay, add, subtract, divide, darken color etc. )
Is it me? or not implemented yet?
I often use a seamless first texture, with a UV scaled to get the right "Grain"
then i give it an overlay or add a second texture with details using another UV on a different scale.
after that comes the lightning, again using a new UV with diffrent scale.

I hope these are options for a future Korman update .

I also tried to use nodes as material , but did not succeed , is it possible?

As i already said, i started to build a new scene using Korman.
Until now , all went fine, the lightning is a great addition., i am getting used to it now , and make a dark environment with lots of light sources in it.

Consider it as a "stress test" :D ( for Korman, the engine , but for me as well.)
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby dendwaler » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:08 am

Just a remark,

I noticed that sometimes the light map is not correct.
Probably my own fault because i found, that i had hided some faces during the unwrapping proces.
(I always do that because then you easily see which faces still have to be unwrapped.)
Besides that, not all the faces were selected,

The lightmap generator in Korman seems to only "map" active selected faces.

Because the lightmap is only for export, i think that the korman code should do first an unhide all faces and after that activate all faces, before it continues with the current code.

Do you agree?
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:23 pm

dendwaler wrote:It seems not possible to blend two textures in either Blend type ( value, overlay, add, subtract, divide, darken color etc. )
Is it me? or not implemented yet?

Currently the "BLEND" type textures are not supported. This will surely be added in a future release. IMAGE textures currently support ADD and MULTIPLY blend modes. There's still quite a bit of work to be done here.

dendwaler wrote:Just a remark,

I noticed that sometimes the light map is not correct.
Probably my own fault because i found, that i had hided some faces during the unwrapping proces.
(I always do that because then you easily see which faces still have to be unwrapped.)
Besides that, not all the faces were selected,

The lightmap generator in Korman seems to only "map" active selected faces.

Because the lightmap is only for export, i think that the korman code should do first an unhide all faces and after that activate all faces, before it continues with the current code.

Do you agree?

Deledrius noticed awhile back that some of his lightmaps appeared to be missing faces. I could not understand why that would happen, and this explains why rather nicely. I did not know it was possible to hide UV faces in Blender. I agree that Korman should bake all faces, even if they are hidden. It makes sense that hiding faces in the uv editor is something done to help you see the faces you're most interested in. I have a fix for this ready for Korman 0.06. I also fixed another bug with lightmap baking that no one else has mentioned ;). Blender sure does some weird things, sometimes...
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Deledrius » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:02 pm

dendwaler wrote:I also tried to use nodes as material , but did not succeed , is it possible?

No, unfortunately Blender's layer-based material system is more in line with how Plasma works, so until/unless we move to a shader-based OpenGL renderer, no material nodes for us. :(

dendwaler wrote:As i already said, i started to build a new scene using Korman.
Until now , all went fine, the lightning is a great addition., i am getting used to it now , and make a dark environment with lots of light sources in it.

Consider it as a "stress test" :D ( for Korman, the engine , but for me as well.)

That's great! Please stress test it as much as possible and let us know what bugs you find! Doobes has given us a lot of feedback, but the rest tends to trickle in from others. Also please feel free to make recommendations about how we can improve workflow. Not everything may be possible, but it is a big help to have that sort of feedback too.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby dendwaler » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:01 am

I made a new tutorial example about unwrapping.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6089&p=71511#p71511

This shows you exactly where and when the hide UV faces is used.
Its a an every day used tool, i hardly can do good texturing without it.

I also fixed another bug with lightmap baking that no one else has mentioned

But it might be i noticed though i was not sure enough to report the next.

If a material inside an object is used for another object then you are forced to make that material a "single user"
When you don't, the lightmap from the first object seems to be taken over partly.

dendwaler

Postby dendwaler » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:35 am

When you want to animate a texture one can choose to animate the x, y , and z direction.

Many times you only animate 1 direction, the y Axis for instance.

Then you can delete in the Fcurve editor the x and the z axis, i often do that . only Korman gives an export error, when i did.
It complains when 1 direction is completely missing.
It should ignore the deleted directions.

Why do i want to delete unused directions?

Mostly because many times the animation speed has to be altered later. Then i stretch the time using scaling or simply drag the frame points away.
Unfortunately if you change that curve , you easily forget to change the other directions also.
The result is that the animation does not properly repeat after ending the frame, it waits until the time setted by the other directions is passed.
That issue can be hard to find, thats why i notice it here.

dendwaler

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:04 pm

That's definitely not good. I thought when we added support for animations, I was very careful to account for missing F-Curves for the same reasons that you mention. I'll look into this.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby dendwaler » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Suddenly i ran into problems,
Some of my objects do not get a shadowmap any longer.
I did not touch those objects, i was building in a different place.
I cant find what it isl
When i copy such an object , the copy gets a shadowmap.
When i delete the original, the copy loses the shadowmap.
I cant find what it is.
I do not any see shared materials, all Unique

how many materials can Korman handle?
I have around 1400 now.
Unfortunately i have not saved a recent version under a different name, stupid me.
I save after nearly every change, i should give it a higher number.
I hope for better times tomorrow.

dendwaler

Postby dendwaler » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:33 am

This is an example of the problem i mentioned.

Now if i mark a few objects to disableit for Plasma.
Mind that the objects i disabled did not share any material nor any textures!

..and export it again , all is back to normal
Now i can even add new objects again , but for every new object i have to disable a former one.

It seems i have somewhere an overflow, in korman or in plasma.

I remember i encountered the same problem in PyPRP before.
However i could work around it.

Then i had to put a bunch of objects into 1 new pagefile.
And i had to put the page into a visregion.
Then export it page by page!

In korman however i can put objects to a new page, but i cannot force it to export it page by page.
Is it possible that maybe Plasma can't handle the number of materials in one stroke?

I do not know how to continue now, but hope to at least nailed the problem.

Then finally i sometimes see an error message i cannot trace. I am not sure is has to do anything with the main problem, but i show it anyway.

dendwaler

PreviousNext

Return to Guild News