Installing Gehn Shard on OSX

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Installing Gehn Shard on OSX

Postby Deledrius » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:36 am

Korovev wrote:I guess the verification against Cyan’s server is done only on request also to avoid weighting on it?

I can’t think of an easier way of using the repair mode with Wineskin, other than fiddling with the exe flags field in the advanced configuration; but for a game formally unsupported on MacOS, I’d say that’s good enough ;) .

The obvious brute-force solution would be to make the patcher run both modes in order every time; you'd always get a perfectly patched-up game that way. Unfortunately, for the few files that are modified, it means a perfectly up-to-date, ready-to-play game would re-download files from Cyan, and then over-write them with files from Gehn at every launch. That's not ideal -- it's a pain for the user too, and it creates unnecessary downloads from both Cyan and Gehn's dataserver. Both branan and Paradox have considered adding back into the engine the notion of sub-file patching (which among other things might mitigate this issue), but those projects were never finished.

Deciding which files are needed and how to acquire them efficiently is, sadly, a non-trivial problem to solve.

In describing to you the process in my previous post, however, I did realize that we could probably at least help inform the user a bit better. I suspect that displaying a confirmation dialog with a warning about the incomplete state when the user attempts to cancel the initial image or a repair would at least communicate the need to finish by running the repair again.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby boblishman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:31 am

If you upgrade to High Sierra you will need to adjust the 'Set Screen Options' in your Wine Wrapper for the Gehn Shard to get the game to run. There is no need to refresh the wrapper, change engine or anything else.

Simply UN-tick all the "tickable" boxes in "other options"

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 14.32.17.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 14.32.17.png (16.01 KiB) Viewed 18359 times

and, whilst you are there, you can choose what resolution/windowed/ ect options you prefer to run your game.

I have not been able to find a 4:3 configuration (using either in the wrapper or the in-game graphic options) that will run centre screen.

However, I have found that playing the game in (my) full resolution gives me a very nice, quality graphics panoramic screen that doesn't seem to "squish" the avatar.

Play around with the settings to find the one you prefer. ;)
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Postby boblishman » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:23 am

Hi Korovev,

Well... the iTunes mystery is partly solved.

I uninstalled SoundFlower (using its own uninstaller that came on the installation .dmg) and it means that all my MOUL-based Shards in Wineskin wrappers will now run without iTunes.
Also, Uru.CC off-line game also runs properly without iTunes (2.6.2 / 1.5.0).

However, I can't get Deep Island to run without iTunes. :roll:
I've even built a couple of brand new wrappers (2.6.2. / 1.5.21 and one with1.5.0) but they both still refuse to start without iTunes. I mean, these are brand new wrappers, built AFTER I uninstalled Soundflower.

It's bizarre.

I was wondering if you could link me to a Deep Island Wrapper for High Sierra (that actually works on your machine) so I could test it on mine?

It's the same for TOC-tPotS Shard and "the other one" we don't mention which is also CC based. Basically, its ALL the online CC based shards that won't work without iTunes, (yet CC single player does)!

My head's about to explode ... :cry:

Oh, and what's the Cider Trick?
boblishman

Postby Deledrius » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:54 pm

That is really fascinating (and frustrating). I wish I was able to make some sense out of that for you, but even with the SoundFlower discovery, the new incompatibilities don't make sense to me. What a strange problem. :(
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby boblishman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:16 am

Do you still have access to that Blender/Korman build?
boblishman

Postby Korovev » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:35 am

boblishman wrote:Also, Uru.CC off-line game also runs properly without iTunes (2.6.2 / 1.5.0).

However, I can't get Deep Island to run without iTunes. :roll:
I've even built a couple of brand new wrappers (2.6.2. / 1.5.21 and one with1.5.0) but they both still refuse to start without iTunes. I mean, these are brand new wrappers, built AFTER I uninstalled Soundflower.

It's bizarre.

I was wondering if you could link me to a Deep Island Wrapper for High Sierra (that actually works on your machine) so I could test it on mine?

Sure, I have one for Deep Island and one for tPotS TOC, but I doubt they’ll be any good, as they’re just copies of the Uru:CC one (2.6.2 / 1.5.0) with the menubar name changed; they do work for me. Even if I were to make a wrapper for the UAM shard, it would just be another copy of the basic Uru:CC one, because these shards are all modifications of the offline game.

I did a bit of lookup, but couldn’t find much. There are some notes about how Wine interfaces with the OS audio systems in the WineHQ site, but I don’t know how much of it could be relevant. I couldn't find any reference to your issue in the Wineskin forum, either; perhaps you could make a post there, in case others have a similar issue with other programs?

Did you reinstall SoundFlower or just removed it? Perhaps it’s its presence, more than internal references, that interferes. A couple more things you could try that come to mind are removing the avi folder; I tried with DI and it seems to do fine (though I haven’t done an extensive playthrough to exclude a crash at some point). The other is trying to install the binkw32 dll with Winetricks (under the Tools panel) and remove the one in the game folder; perhaps the latter doesn’t work with Wine. Though with shards the client will probably redownload it.

boblishman wrote:Oh, and what's the Cider Trick?

Korovev wrote:To change to native resolution, first switch to windowed mode (⌘↵), move the resolution slider (F4) to the right, close the settings then switch to full screen again.
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby boblishman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:53 am

OK. I'm about to lose my mind over this... especially as I keep "jumping the gun" and saying things work...when they don't.

OK.... My UruCC Off-line wrapper does NOT work. The reason I thought it did work was because it doesn't crash at the same point as the other CC based shards.

The CC Shards crash during Uru.exe:

Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 15.38.26.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 15.38.26.png (86.78 KiB) Viewed 18277 times

(All the CC Shards behave this way.)

Uru:CC Off-line runs Uru Setup, the Account/Audio/Graphics screen from Uru Setup shows fine .... but it stack dumps immediately after the bink movies (or where the bink movies would have played if I remove the avi folder).
Because I was getting the Uru Setup screen in CC Offline I thought it was working ok (because I cancelled at that point.)

So, this "need" for iTunes on my machine is purely CC-based. (All MOUL shards play perfectly without iTumnes running.)

I'm going to try some other things today. I'll report back my findings....
Last edited by boblishman on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
boblishman

Postby boblishman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:56 am

OK. Now, I really do give up.

Korovev, I can not open you wrappers.

When I unzip them, and then Show Package Contents/double click the Wineskin app ... it says "Wineskin is an applications downloaded from the internet... blah blah ... and when I click "open" it starts.... but then hangs. It doesn't crash .... its still running... with the "busy" screen .... but 15 minutes later and its still not opening ... :roll:

Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 16.47.20.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 16.47.20.png (129.34 KiB) Viewed 18277 times

The "busy" wheel is spinning but it goes no further.

If I click on any of MY OWN made wrappers and double-click the Wineskin app icon - wineskin opens perfectly.

This, of course, means I can not use your wrappers to install DI or even CC.

I.
give.
up.

I guess that I will just have to start iTunes if I want to play a CC based game or shard. :roll:
boblishman

Postby boblishman » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:26 am

OK...a quick update on running the Ghen Shard on High Sierra 10.13.6:

I have just created a PlayOnMac virtual drive for the Ghen Shard. This allows me to play the Ghen Shard exactly how I like to play it, that is, in 4:3 format and REAL (centred) fullscreen.
(This was not possible for me using Wineskin. I had to play in Widescreen, and then, with a menu bar visible),

To get the PlayOnMac virtual drive to install and run the Ghen Shard I had to do the following:

1) Creating the virtual drive: During this process I had to select the two options "Use another version of Wine" and "Configure Wine".
2) Change the Wine version to 1.9.24 (download it if you don't have it installed)
3) During "configure" process I had to change the Windows version dropdown to Vista

vista.jpg
vista.jpg (107.09 KiB) Viewed 16873 times

and then untick the two pre-selected options in the Graphics Tab

graphics.jpg
graphics.jpg (104 KiB) Viewed 16873 times

4)Once the Ghen installer started to run, it automatically installed the Physx but crashed during the DirectX install,
5) Although it crashed, I continued with the Ghen install until it started to download the "sfx" files at which point I quit the Ghen installer (in order to save time) and let PlayOnMac finish creating the virtual drive and shortcut.
6) I then went to my Wineskin Ghen Shard install and copied the Ghen Shard folder

GhenWineskinFolderloc.jpg
GhenWineskinFolderloc.jpg (255.24 KiB) Viewed 16872 times

and pasted it into my PlayOnMac virtual drive .... choosing the "merge" option.

(cont...)
Last edited by boblishman on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
boblishman

Postby boblishman » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:38 am

(...cont)

7) I then copied the "dxwebsetup.exe" file from inside the PlayOnMac Ghen Shard folder

DirectX.jpg
DirectX.jpg (258.32 KiB) Viewed 16873 times

....and pasted a copy on my desktop.

8) Next, in PlayonMac, I used the "Configuration" panel ...

run.jpg
run.jpg (201.34 KiB) Viewed 16873 times

to run the desktop copy of "dxwebsetup.exe", and THIS time it installed without any problems. I then quit PlayOnMac and launched the PlayOnMac Ghen Shard from its shortcut.
The game ran normally allowing me to sign into the Ghen Shard and play ... properly

I am now able to run the Ghen Shard and set my screen options (in game) to 4:3 ratio and the game runs in fullscreen, centred with NO menu bar.

I'm posting this because I found the Wineskin limitations on screen/window options were driving me nuts and have been searching for a solution for a long time.
Anyone else who wants to run Ghen in 4:3 centred fullscreen mode can now do so using PlayOnMac.
boblishman

PreviousNext

Return to Gehn Shard