Korman 0.06 Released!

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Korman 0.06 Released!

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:50 pm

... One year later, a marauding Korman 0.06 has appeared! Korman 0.06 represents 126 commits and approximately 4,600 lines of code changed from the previous version. Please note that this version of Korman requires Blender 2.79 to function--also files saved with Korman 0.06 should not be opened with versions of Blender lower than 2.79, even if Korman is deactivated. There are loads of amazing new features and fixes available in this release. The two major new additions are the ability to generate Ladders from a template by using the new Add > Plasma > Ladder operator. Additionally, fields that required you to select reference objects will now only list valid objects as suggestions :). Furthermore, the Korman installer now supports both 32-bit and 64-bit Blender 2.79, and it will automatically select any appropriate Blender that it finds installed. If you have an older version of Blender installed, be aware that the installer does not know that the minimum version is 2.79!

Changes in this release:
  • Added the Journal modifier
  • Added the Ladder generator and Ladder modifier
  • Added the Subworld modifiers
  • Added the Swim Surface modifier (swim regions)
  • Added support for 64-bit Blender builds to the installer
  • Added support for emissive materials
  • Added support for normal maps
  • Added support for specular materials
  • Fixed an issue in which animated lights could crash Uru: Path of the Shell
  • Fixed an issue in which animations with unused axes could crash the exporter
  • Fixed an issue in which certain opaque materials would not block line-of-sight
  • Fixed an issue in which environment map reflections could be wrong
  • Fixed an issue in which Exclude Regions could not function as intended in Uru: Path of the Shell
  • Fixed an issue in which detail blending could fail to function as intended
  • Fixed an issue in which invalid nodes in a Plasma node tree could crash the exporter
  • Fixed an issue in which lightmaps could overwrite user textures
  • Fixed an issue in which setting the opacity of a texture could cause the texture to be always transparent
  • Fixed an issue in which the environment map color could not be set
  • Fixed an issue in which the installer could not locate recent versions of Blender
  • Fixed an issue in which the Opacity Fader modifier could not function as intended
  • Fixed an issue in which WAV sounds could crash the exporter
  • Fixed several issues in which procedural modifiers would not be handled correctly by the exporter
  • Fixed several issues in which Python nodes could fail to function as intended
  • Improved convex hull collision generation
  • Improved fields that require other objects to be specified
  • Improved the display of Python node attribute values
  • Improved the exporter to show progress during the export process
  • Improved the Plasma Toolbox utilities for working with Plasma Objects

Please remember that Korman is still in beta (that's why the first number in the version is a zero)--don't shoot if there are bugs! In particular, I would be wary about utilizing the ability to set the gravity in a subworld. The gravity setting does different things on different engines and may not necessarily work the way you think it should ;)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Re: Korman 0.06 Released!

Postby dendwaler » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:20 am

Ahh thank you!
That was a real newyear surprise.

I immediately tried it.
annoying was that it was discovered as a trojan by windows defender.
Even after it was switched off, i still got a warning from it. but it continue the installation after allowing it.
I am very happy with a few bug fixes and even new features like bumpmapping or normal mapping.
The fact that you can see the progress during export realy satisfys me, it gives a los more information about what is going on.

So i tried again to continue with the new hood i am building.
The export returns error's i cannot solve.
First:

and in the final:

To me the first seems the number of materials that reached the end.

Then i i have no clue about what is deprercated.

And the final message about the bumpmap seems not correct.
Because the bumpmap is a new feature i wanted to try it.
So i bumpmapped 1 object.
This object has two materials .
Both materials got 1different normalmap.

After splitting this object into two objects with each only one material the error messages disapeared and it exported completely.

Though once in game , i cannot realy see there is any bump mapping......

Lots of objects still did not receive any shadowmap and i did not get a warning.

These ware the results for 0.6 unti l now.
I hope you can find why i cannot use more materials, for now i still can't continue.

something else:
For those interested i found a good free to use for non commercial purpose program, to make normal maps in an easy way.

https://shadermap.com/home/
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Sirius » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:05 am

Good job ! :)

On a side note I'm able to follow your progress in real time since Github sends me notification emails. It's always nice to see all the hard work you're doing behind the scenes.

Hoikas wrote:In particular, I would be wary about utilizing the ability to set the gravity in a subworld. The gravity setting does different things on different engines and may not necessarily work the way you think it should ;)

I can confirm this is a bad idea - last time I checked, the subworld's gravity worked on avatar standing jump but not walk or run jump :P

Dendwaler wrote:something else:
For those interested i found a good free to use for non commercial purpose program, to make normal maps in an easy way.

https://shadermap.com/home/

Interesting !
Personally I've been using AwesomeBump to create normal/bump/AO maps so far. The interface is a bit strange at first but you quickly get used to it :) That's what I use whenever I create normalmapped stuff in Unity.
Sirius

Postby J'Kla » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:39 am

Thankyou :-)

I have it installed and have made a first attempt to add a first ladder to my Enobmort age it appeared to put something in place.

Are there any instructions for using this or is it a trial and error thing?
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:13 am

J'Kla wrote:Thankyou :-)

I have it installed and have made a first attempt to add a first ladder to my Enobmort age it appeared to put something in place.

Are there any instructions for using this or is it a trial and error thing?

Sorry about that! Hopefully we'll have some formal documentation available soon.

This new ladder operator creates a group of objects which can function either as a template to line up existing objects you wish to be climbable, or modified directly to be a climbable mesh itself.

Here's a quick rundown of how it's meant to be used:

Like other Add operators, place your 3D Cursor where you'd like the ladder to be created (the bottom of the ladder will be centered at the cursor). Once created, the Toolshelf's Operator panel (press T in the 3D view to reveal your toolshelf if you've hidden it) should display the ladder options. From here, you can select how high you wish it to be, as well as some control over the width of the ladder and the height of the rungs. They are limited to make sure that they will correctly line up with the avatar climb animations. If you wish to have uneven rungs, such as seen in the Cleft's broken bridge ladders, you can select half-width rungs that will show you which side of the ladder the avatar's hands land upon at each step. Make sure that half of the rung's visible object lines up with the top of the guide rung, and you can make the rest as uneven or as broken as you like.

The top face of the ground regions shows you where your surface needs to line up for the avatar to not be floating above or below once they start climbing or dismount. The top of each rung will line up with the avatar's hands at each step. Yes, the ladder comes only in preset height increments, and this is because the avatar animations must loop a certain number of times to play completely.

Generally, you will want to leave on the upper and lower entry checkboxes, unless you are going to script a more advanced ladder. Those are the regions that trigger the climb animations. They can be disabled by default, in case you want the ladder to be unusable initially and enabled later (such as the climbable wall in the Watcher's Sanctuary). The Ladder Name box is provided as the root name for all of the sub-objects created so that you can easily label them all at once.

Make sure that when you move the ladder template, you select the entire group and move it as one piece, since the provided alignment is crucial for the animations to line up correctly.

Important: Align your objects to the ladder, not the other way around! The entire purpose of this ladder template is to be a guide so that when you place meshes correctly they will be lined up for the animations!

That's a bit of a messy dump of information, but I hope it helps. Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them! This is a whole new feature, and I plan to roll out more like it in the future, so feedback is welcome. :)
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:43 pm

Is there any way to have a way to have the z axis orientation as a setting. By default it appears as if you are climbing to the left (West) viewed from above.

Like most tools the the tool display shelf shows the settings of the most recently used tool but if you change the view to see if it lines up with your rungs at that point its dropped off the tool shelf.

Is there any way to re display? Or get to the settings.

Also I found I could not climb till I extended the entry box top vertices to the top of my ladder.

I have not been able to make it so I can climb down but this is still experimentation and I am pleased with what I have been able to achieve so far. :-)
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:12 am

I am now having some strange behavior in my test age.

The ladder works when I first arrive I climb it to the upper level I then jump down and it stops working.

Sometimes if I do a /spawn it works but not always?

Curious.
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:41 am

J'Kla wrote:Is there any way to have a way to have the z axis orientation as a setting. By default it appears as if you are climbing to the left (West) viewed from above.

You can rotate and move the group to its final positioning, same as any other primitive you create.

J'Kla wrote:Like most tools the the tool display shelf shows the settings of the most recently used tool but if you change the view to see if it lines up with your rungs at that point its dropped off the tool shelf.
Is there any way to re display? Or get to the settings.

This is how Blender's operators function. You can change the view as much as you want without losing the ability to edit the new object. Once you accept an operator's parameters (by modifying it in any way), the object is considered "complete" by Blender and is no longer parameterized.

-----

It sounds like you're trying to use this operator on an existing ladder. That's not what this is for (although you can certainly try to use it this way if you wish). This is for creating new ladders. If you have existing ladders already set up in an Age you're bringing over from PyPRP to Korman, you can use the Ladder Modifier directly. Of course, you risk not having them lined up properly when you do things manually, but it may be the better option in an Age with hundreds of ladders. You'll find the ladder modifier in the Plasma Modifiers panel. You need to apply the modifier to a region at either end of the ladder, with the negative-Y axis of the region facing the ladder. The options should (hopefully) be self-explanatory.

If you want to use the template guide operator on existing ladders, what you need to do is set your 3D cursor at the ground level of the existing ladder's base, Add the Plasma Ladder and change the settings so that it is the correct height, and then adjust your visible geometry to line up with the new ladder, including the upper level of your geometry. If your old ladder was built correctly, this shouldn't require any additional work. If you need to move your visible geometry, it's likely you had flaws in the animation's positioning.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:30 am

Yes my ages have lots of ladders and they were fine under the old PyPRP method.

And yes I can rotate the template to line it up with my existing objects but as soon as I rotate it that becomes my latest operation and I have lost access to the template to make other changes.

I am looking to figure out where I need to put the cursor to have the template rotation in the right location and I am in the process of figuring out the origin of the template so I can place the cursor in the best position to align with my existing ladders.

Nearly all of my ladders are the same height in fact the first in each block of 125 are probably the only ones that differ in that they climb two cells all of the others are singles.

There are a couple of really long ladders but by the time I get to those I will have this figured.

I am going to have a look at the ladder modifier.

Either way I am more than happy with the work and I am looking forward to bringing my ages into Korman. :-)

Once I have it figured out I will write a guide.
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:36 am

I am going to start a new Thread Korman Ladders
J'Kla

Next

Return to Guild News