Myst Island in VR.

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Re: Myst Island in VR.

Postby Aloys » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:08 am

Heya, Mr Lord! How is it going?
Thanks for the kind words. I miss a lot working on Myst stuff... I haven't really touched any Uru Age in a long while. Ever since I got the silly idea to start my own company ago I've been swamped in work .. :( But thankfully we'll have something to show real soon and it's Myst inspired; more on that later.

I'm actually tempted to open source this Myst Island project, I know I won't have enough free time to complete it by myself for a while..
Aloys

Postby Tweek » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:49 am

Good thanks, just plodding along with my Uru stuffs maybe releasing something in the next 20 years >.>

Congrats on the own company thing, being swamped with work is good, hectic but at least that means things are hopefully going well :)
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Afalstein » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:34 pm

If anyone is still checking this thread, open-sourcing the Myst Island VR might not be a bad idea. I know some people in the VR community have been disappointed with, for instance, a lack of good home environments.
Afalstein

Postby Aloys » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:57 am

If anyone is still checking this thread

yep. :)

Actually, I wanted to complete the project and publish it lately in 2018, while we were still in the middle of Myst's 25th anniversary festivities, but I just couldn't find the time. But recently a couple people contacted me asking if I was whilling to share those assets for other projects.. And I'm okay with that.
I do plan to complete my project first, and then yeah, after that I think I will open source the whole thing because I see how it could useful (and just fun).
Aloys

Postby Sirius » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:19 am

Aloys wrote:I do plan to complete my project first

I'm looking forward to it 8-)
Sirius

Postby Aloys » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:53 pm

I have completed something I should have down a while ago: a proper cursor management system. Now I've got a nice fitting 'grabby hand' default cursor,a 'footsteps' cursor for click zones that moves you forward, and a proper zip mode with a 'lighting bolt' cursor to zoom around. :) (that one is just so fun to use)
(all these cursors I errr.. totaly stole from Myst >_> )

This adds so much to the thing to make it feel like the original game. :)

Next thing to do: have a fully working navigation system. Right now I'm using two systems:
1. a basic FPS control scheme. (courtesy of Unity's default 1st person controller).
2. and a node-based system where you can click around to teleport to the next point. (I've reproduced the spots as they are in Myst, but I also added a couple for a smoother navigation)

The problem I have right now is you can't switch on the fly. Starting with the node system and then walking around will take you out of the proper node sequence and make you unable to clic anything unless whatever node where linked to where you were last. I need to make a better system for that.

Also I'll look at adding a way to move the cursor around without moving the camera. (say you can right click to immobilize the camera to work on a puzzle and again to get it back). This won't be required, since there is basically zero gameplay in there, but that might come in handy anyway.
Aloys

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Discussion