Korman Ahra Pahts

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Korman Ahra Pahts

Postby J'Kla » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Are we going to get a Korman Build of Ahra Pahts?
J'Kla

Re: Korman Ahra Pahts

Postby Doobes » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:44 pm

J'Kla wrote:Are we going to get a Korman Build of Ahra Pahts?

It's theoretically possible if one were to get the most current blend files, particularly from those who have already completed shells. It'd be quite an effort to coordinate given so many years, but it'd be cool to see the project revived (with some technical updates to fix load times). I'm still sittin' on my own shell from years ago myself. :P
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby J'Kla » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:36 am

Yes I am sitting on three that is what prompted me to ask. :)
J'Kla

Postby Aloys » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Hey there.
I must admit I haven't yet tried Korman. >_>
I don't know about the Shells but I suppose porting the rest of the Age to Korman would be possible.. Most of the Age itself doesn't have much interactivity, mostly static meshes and footsteps regions. The only real interractivity are the books to the local 'nexus'.

(with some technical updates to fix load times)

If I remember correctly the load times issue was because at the time we couldn't use instanced objects. So when I exported the city structure I had to export hundreds of identical empty shelves and pieces of streets, lamp posts, courtyards, briges etc. I don't know if we can do that know but if we could use instanced objects the main city PRP would only include a couple dozen objects, it would all be much smaller and would load faster... (also I suppose we could get rid of the empty shells PRPs to merge them in the main city.prp. I guess that would decrease load times too)

I still have the original Blender files. As a matter of fact I just checked my archives and most of this hasn't been touched in 10 years.. :shock: In all honnesty, as much as I love this Age, I don't think I'll do anything with it in the foreseeable future.. That Ages is too big and complicated. (and part of its content was never completed/published) Would anymore be interested in maintaining it?
Aloys

Postby Tweek » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:39 am

I like Ahra Pahts but yeah I agree it was entirely to big, I think it could benefit from having its size greatly reduced.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Aloys » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:22 am

AP was really a product of its time. When the Age creators community was young and enthousiast. :)
Unless I'm mistaken I count 11 released shells (source. These other 139 empty shells won't ever get filled and the Age feels more like a ghost town than anything.. Radical as it may be, scaling it down sounds like an interesting idea. As it stands I don't see anyone crazy enough to take over it. And as far as I'm concerned I would rather see a small but well populated city than a large empty one..

It could be a fun one week-end project to re-do the layout and make a 'small town' version of Ahra Pahts with the existing content..
Aloys

Postby J'Kla » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 am

In one of my ages I built a thing like a lifting body that was an almost perfect fit for an AP shell.

The back story was it was supposed to link with the person taking the content to the destination age.

But now its broken (Storyline) and the user and the lifting body moves but not any content.

The plan was to have it vanish from AP and Appear in my Age and if possible take anyone else on board at the same time.

It was very rough as I hardly knew about Blender at that time.

I made some tie down cables that could be climbed like the tent ropes in the city and there was a hidden message on the roof.

[edit]
Just went back and checked the version of Enobmort on Drizzle so I presume it is the same for Deep Island still has the shortcut to the ship in the back of the pedestal you find on linking in when you get to the ship this still has the climbable tie down ropes.
[/edit]

For the Walker story I was going to AP as the access to my ages.

Its no big deal as I need to re-write the start to mach whatever method we eventually use as a Nexus.
J'Kla

Postby Tweek » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:59 am

Aloys wrote:AP was really a product of its time. When the Age creators community was young and enthousiast. :)
Unless I'm mistaken I count 11 released shells (source. These other 139 empty shells won't ever get filled and the Age feels more like a ghost town than anything.. Radical as it may be, scaling it down sounds like an interesting idea. As it stands I don't see anyone crazy enough to take over it. And as far as I'm concerned I would rather see a small but well populated city than a large empty one..

It could be a fun one week-end project to re-do the layout and make a 'small town' version of Ahra Pahts with the existing content..

You could probably get away for reducing the size down to just one district. I never finished my shell due to my skill level at the time, would be interesting to revisit it and make something of it.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Sirius » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:51 pm

I'm in favor of shrinking the Age (if possible), and un-freeze the water canals ;)
Possibly remove the red, blue and green district, and relocate their content into the white one (then redivide it into three colored areas if need be). Although I don't know how hard it would be architecturally to redo.

About the Shells, it's possible to relocate them in 3D space using Drizzle. No need for the original Blender files, and won't break anything. I don't have time to take over maintaining the Age, but I can help with that much.
Sirius

Postby Aloys » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:20 pm

Is the current online Shells plan correct? (this one, from this page) it says it was last updated June 7, 2010. Assuming it is correct, then there are 11 opened shells to be relocated. And if we use the central district, it has 30 slots for shells, which is plenty enough. But even then, that still leaves us with many empty shells. So I'm tempted to say we can even scale it down a bit more.

Another possibility would be to change the triangular perimeter of the city, but that's part of the defining trait of the Age, so I'm tempted to say no.

About the Shells, it's possible to relocate them in 3D space using Drizzle

Nice. I didn't know that. it's interesting, but unfortunately it won't work for all the shells. I've looked at the Age and shrinking to a single district is doable. But If we want to keep the triangular shape of the city moving the existing shells around will be problematic: I've tried all the layouts I could think of and some of the shells would have to be rotated around.. Can Drizzle rotate pages around too? :(

un-freeze the water canals ;)

Definitely! :p In fact way back, someone (Paradox?) had started working on something like that: image.
Aloys

Next

Return to General Discussion