IRC question

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

IRC question

Postby jmp12 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:09 pm

.Shorah

I have seen reference to a Guild of Writers IRC channel, supposedly at irc.guildofwriters.org. I tried connecting via Pidgin using my credentials from the forum, here, but it wouldn't let me connect. Do I need to create a separate account for the IRC channel? If so, how do I go about doing so?

Just hoping to lurk and listen in on everyone's conversations, mostly. ;) Maybe someday I'll know enough to contribute to development.
jmp12

Re: IRC question

Postby Deledrius » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:01 pm

Great! We'd love to have you. :)

You don't need to use any credentials when logging on to IRC, as the main #writers channel is public, but you can password-protect your username if you like (IRC is pretty transient, but identifying yourself allows you to prevent imposters). With Pidgin, you should be able to connect without specifying a password.

When creating an account on Pidgin, enter irc.guildofwriters.org as the server, and give yourself a username. The rest can be left as default. Once you enable the account (which it did automatically for me once I saved it) go to the Tools menu and select Room List. Select the IRC account in the dropdown, then click Get List, select #writers, and click Join. That should get you into the main chatroom. Feel free to join any others that interest you as well. :)
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Return to General Discussion