Dirtsand Early 2018

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Dirtsand Early 2018

Postby J'Kla » Sat May 05, 2018 2:35 pm

This may sound odd but I am more familiar with server editions because I tend to be building servers for Samba or Web or whatever.

I have explored lots of Linux desktops the one advantage is that all of the command line servers look the same.

However the sudo message got to me too late the Installation DVD just formatted the hard drive lol

I have been doing this since I got my first slackware many moons ago.
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Sat May 05, 2018 2:46 pm

It's looking good its in the process of building a load of stuff as a consequence of running the make install on the dirtsand/build folder.

It does look like I am ready to explore the database setup part. :)

I have also now managed to remotely log into this new server with putty on a ssh connection so I can now work from my normal workstation. :)

I am now following the instructions on setting up a server as found in the instructions.

I went to run the first command

Code: Select all
sudo -u postgres psql -d template1

This failed I had assumed that the Ubuntu install had already implemented an install of postgresql it was but a trice to run

sudo apt-get install postgresql

Once I remembered the semicolons to end of each input line I was cooking with gas.

I now come to the UUID functionality confusion paragraph.

I am using an Ubuntu distribution so I install the contrib package as suggested. Now it gets perplexing I am presented with the following.

If your distribution does not provide a contrib or uuid-ossp bundle, you can get it and build it yourself from the sources provided at: http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/uuid/
Once you have the ossp, you can add it to the dirtsand database by running the import script:

contrib or uuid-ossp bundle it then tells me I have to add ossp

I looked down the path /usr/share/postgresql/10/contrib/ and there is no ossp there is sepgsql.sql

I am now tired and confused when faced with or instructions it is useful to have a clear path for each of the options in the "or" indication.

These instructions are currently a mess I have installed posrgresql-contrib.

At which point do I pick up the following instructions?

This is probably because I am hitting midnight in what has been a very long day.

At this time I am assuming that because I have postgresql-contrib I can jump to the the "Set up the dirtsand database" or will I need to do the CREATE EXTENSION "uuid-ossp" even though it appears not to exist in the contrib folder.

I am going to bed in the vague hope that some clarification appears here whilst I sleep. ;)

I can't complain I am already about 400% further on than I was a week ago.

I am extremely grateful for all the help I am getting here and I know we will end with a beautifully clear instruction set in the end. at which point I can go back to creating unclear and puzzling Uru ages.
Last edited by J'Kla on Sat May 05, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Sat May 05, 2018 3:53 pm

J'Kla wrote:I have also now managed to remotely log into this new server with putty on a ssh connection so I can now work from my normal workstation. :)

It's always nice to get to that step. :D
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Sun May 06, 2018 3:05 am

I am following the instructions as directed at

https://github.com/H-uru/dirtsand/blob/master/README.md

Section 1 no issues

Section 2 very confusing as I am using Ubuntu 18.04 with postresql 10

So let us assume I have followed the instructions and installed the postgresql-contrib package with the command

sudo apt-get install postgresql-contrib

so I now use

sudo -u postgres psql -d dirtsand

This enters postgresql command structure and changes my command prompt to

dirtsand=#

So now I can instruct the database with the following

dirtsand=# CREATE EXTENSION "uuid-ossp";

That appears to work.

So I am now supposedly ready to move to section 3 and set up the dirtsand database but the next two instructions are shown with a bash prompt so now I do not know if these are postgresql instructions issued within postgresql or should I quit postgresql with /q an issue them as command line bash instructions if I do they don't appear to work as bash but now I do not know if this is because

a) They failed because should have been issued at the dirtsand=# prompt before I quit postgresql with the /q which I did because these commands look like they are bash prompt.

b) They failed because I typed them wrong.

c) They failed because should have been entered as sudo commands.

d) They failed because despite installing postgresql-contrib I should still have done something to add ossp to the postgresql installation other than the CREATE EXTENSION stuff. (Not shouty sql commands are in upper case lol) ;)

e) They failed because none of the above and it is something else completely.

The nub of it is section 2 has far to much ambiguity. It contains an example that talks about Ubuntu 10.10 so that for an installation that is archival at best.

Here I am trying to install with Ubuntu 18.04. We probably need to lose that example and clarify instructions so we can say what commands we need to issue.

Plus some clarity so that the Noob like me can see when it is a command issued within postgresql and when its a command issued at a bash shell prompt. ;)

As a suggestion lets say we are using Ubuntu as an install medium and we make the minimum requirement as version 18.04 with postgresql 10 and by default we add the postgresql-contrib component hey lets make that a pre requisite that we install back at the prerequisites before we even go through the process of building code.

How does that sound and how will that impact on what we need to do in section 2?

[edit]
I am doing a reworking of my notes as I realized your revised server setup instructions fitted in and around the normal guidence.

I am still trying to sort section 2 but realized part of my misunderstanding was a small precursor to building the code section. ;)

I am still confused in section 3 partly because it shows a bash shell prompt $ but the psql looks like it belongs as part of postgresql.

Section 4 has the first block of the instructions making sense but the second block about generating RC4 keys currently has me lost.
[/edit]
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Wed May 09, 2018 10:33 am

OK I investigated using the Desktop version and It was hopeless It took almost two hours to install.

So I have gone back to the server version and I made some progress and I am working on a revised description.
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Wed May 09, 2018 11:57 am

J'Kla wrote:OK I investigated using the Desktop version and It was hopeless It took almost two hours to install.

So I have gone back to the server version and I made some progress and I am working on a revised description.

There should be no discernible difference between the two as far as this project is concerned, so it's safe to use whichever is easiest or more convenient for you.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Thu May 10, 2018 3:05 am

Yes I have reached the stage where I have generated my RC4 Keys I got a different prompt when I eventually ran the interactive console the notes say the prompt is ds-902> and I got ds-918> I am hoping that is just a version number.

It did spit out two sets of keys so I am assuming it is correct.

I consider I have made decent progress so far and I now have a build log that appears to be reasonably Noob prof. ;)
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Thu May 10, 2018 1:43 pm

Right I have a build method that takes about 50 minutes from Booting from the live DVD to having the first set of RC4 keys inserted into the dirtsand.ini file

My shard setup is on an internal ip address of 192.168.0.20

I am trying to figure out where to go from here.

I looked at the Destiny server.ini and I can see where it has it's corresponding version of a second set RC4 Keys.

So I can see how I can make a copy of the Destiny subfolder and change the server.ini so that it uses my set of RC4 keys.

The initial plan is to use the server only on a local network so I need to know what I need to change where to allow multiple users across my local network.
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Thu May 10, 2018 10:18 pm

As specified in the README, you should copy the "Server keys" (only the six lines starting with Key) into a dirtsand.ini on your server (I have mine in /opt/dirtsand/, and I start the server in that directory with the command bin/dirtsand dirtsand.ini, just as in the README), and the "Client keys" (the six lines starting with Server) into the server.ini that you put in your copy of the Destiny client. You'll want to change both Server.Gate.Host and Server.Auth.Host to look like the following:

Server.Gate.Host "192.168.0.20"
Server.Auth.Host "192.168.0.20"

That should be sufficient for a local testing server. In fact, you don't even need to set up the fileserver (README Step 5), just use -LocalData in your client shortcut. You can create as many accounts as you need for testing with the addacct command mentioned in README Step 6. For a list of commands at the dirstand prompt, type help.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Fri May 11, 2018 1:04 am

Thank you. :)
Today is going to be a day of experimentation.
J'Kla

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development