Korman Ladder Tool

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Korman Ladder Tool

Postby J'Kla » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:10 pm

OK that was the time I had a set of ladders linked by parenting to an empty so I could duplicate them then move them and rotate them as a block by manipulating the empty.

I found that if I ditched the parenting moved everything onto one layer then did a duplicate and move manually I was able to achieve the same function but without the accuracy of placement I would have had using an empty as a parent.

I then had loads of re positioning to do manually but with the structure now built I won't be needing any of that till I start reworking Noidrocca.

So any fix will still be useful just not imediately.
J'Kla

Postby Sirius » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Glad I could help ! :)

And some technical gibberish about the issue (because I like technical gibberish):
Show Spoiler
Sirius

Postby Deledrius » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Ah, so it's an optimization issue. I understand now. Thanks for the clarification.

J'Kla wrote:OK that was the time I had a set of ladders linked by parenting to an empty so I could duplicate them then move them and rotate them as a block by manipulating the empty.

They're created as a Blender Group to make it easy and safe to move them without breaking them.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:06 am

Deledrius wrote:
J'Kla wrote:OK that was the time I had a set of ladders linked by parenting to an empty so I could duplicate them then move them and rotate them as a block by manipulating the empty.

They're created as a Blender Group to make it easy and safe to move them without breaking them.

My ladders had a lintel across the top two side rails two side rail crowns a back panel a label with a number in D'ni a set of rungs as a single object and there were 23 of them. And I was duplicating them two more times to make a total of 69 ladders ;)

This is a problem of my own creation the fact they are a group makes it easy to duplicate any one of them but when I wanted to duplicate and rotate all 23 and do that to a very specific location I figured parenting everything to an empty was a sound method.

This parenting was the source of my problems.

I am not blaming anyone and it's not really an issue that needs any immediate sort of fix I went down a particular rabbit hole and I just wanted others to know that there was a rabbit hole there to be avoided.

My work around worked for me and it meant I had to spend an extra couple of hours manipulating my blend file.
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:20 am

Ah, right, I forgot you were working with already-built geometry. :)
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:07 am

The Korman 0.80 now exports ladders that work for my CC/Drizzle install so I am now working on the Journals so I can finally do an update to my Enobmort on Deep Island.

Back in the dim dark past I used to pass my updates to Dustin when he was maintaining the Drizzle stuff. Obviously things have moved on.

I would like to put the stuff in place to update my all my Deep Island ages and Korman 0.80 has made that a possibility.

Given that the deep island http://www.the.deep.island.de/uru-ages

What is the official route/method for updating these files?
J'Kla

Postby Emor D'ni Lap » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:11 pm

J'Kla wrote:What is the official route/method for updating these files?

Pretty sure Diafero is still administrator of the Deep Island shard?
Contact him; his email is in the footer of any of his posts here.
Emor D'ni Lap

Postby J'Kla » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:52 am

Back to questions about ladders.

I have an issue and I already have a work around in game but here goes.

In my updated Enobmort age I have information that you can see in first person as you climb a ladder. It is multiple objects in multiple locations you can view through the rungs of the ladder as you climb.

This feature was actually used in the original Myst when you climb the rotating tower.

So far I am working with MO:ULa output implemented on my dirtsand shard as this is my testing setup but now we are onto Korman 0.80 I will eventually be testing on Tpots/Drizzle once I have the journals working.

OK. In game I can go to the Tool Box-Navigation-Advanced and then set the "stay in first person" check box at that point if I set first person and approach a ladder I stay in first person and as I climb the ladder and can see information I have placed on the wall behind the ladder.

However if I leave the game and restart this setting does not persist. (at least in my dirtsand implementation and that aside is no big deal as just reset on the testing run).

Now in Ercana when you use the ladder at the far end of the age (that is the ladder nearest the pellet making machine) when you climb or descend that ladder you go into first person and remain in first person regardless of weather you were in first person when you approached the ladder.

This is a constraint of necessity because the ladder is inside a box and a 3rd person view would be incongruous not only that it would look if nothing else, odd.

So there is an in game implementation.

Is there some setting I could add to my ladders so that regardless of how you approached a ladder you jumped to first person or if you approached a ladder in 1st person you remained in first person? Without having to make some change to the game settings.

Like I say this is a low priority because I have a work around for testing and I still have over 90 of these data items to add circa 20 of them in ladder/rung locations.

Note: it would require the fix to work for both the MO:ULa and Tpots export.
J'Kla

Postby Christian Walther » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:00 am

I don’t know if there is a better solution, but have you tried just replicating the Er’cana situation? Put the ladder into a narrow invisible tunnel so that the 3rd-person camera does not have space to go sufficiently far away for the avatar to become visible? I seem to remember that colliders can be set to affect the camera but not the avatar, in case that is a problem.
Christian Walther

Postby Sirius » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:02 pm

What Christian said, or trickier: setup a camera region to bring the camera very close to the point of interest. It's used in Ahnonay's engineer hut, when climbing the ladders. Not sure how that works, though, I've never used camera regions.
Sirius

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion