[Almost] failure to create new explorer

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

[Almost] failure to create new explorer

Postby hhhenry » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:51 pm

I can bring up my existing explorer, no problem.
Create new - name select gender play [next screen] - network failure
Win7pro
"There has been a Network error. Please try again. If the problem persists please contact support"
[So far, this is taken from my problem report on Minkata shard, still not fixed]

I go Back, no new explorer
Almost
I quit, return, There's my new explorer.
So, odd, failure on Minkata, false failure on Gehn.
hhhenry

Re: [Almost] failure to create new explorer

Postby Deledrius » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:29 pm

To clarify, you receive the error on both Minkata and Gehn, but Minkata never creates the avatar while Gehn does successfully despite the error?
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Acorn » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:30 am

This reminded me - when I created my new avvie to test Gehn 26, I got a network error message. I tried again, was told that avvie name had already been used. So I restarted the game and found that the avvie had been created ok and I thought it was a one-off, nothing more.

But hhhenry made me check my second account and there too, I got a network error message when I created a new avvie. But the avvie again had been created when I restarted.

So it wasn't a one-off :o
Acorn

Postby Emor D'ni Lap » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:15 pm

I'm seeing a similar issue:

- Tried three times to create new Explorers (fairly vanilla naming each time), each time receiving a "Network error, please try again" msg
- Hit that 'back' button, try to 'Explore URU', and you receive a "Error, this player name already exists" msg

Quit out, restart, and *there they are*, all three new Explorer names, ready to go.

Might be as simple as a false error flag?

Win 10 - and yes, mouse works soooo nicely now. Appreciate all the work you've all put into this!
Last edited by Emor D'ni Lap on Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emor D'ni Lap

Postby hhhenry » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:42 pm

First, I was getting a Bad Gateway 502 error and had to log out.... That could have been a NoSCript block problem
Second To clarify, you receive the error on both Minkata and Gehn, but Minkata never creates the avatar while Gehn does successfully despite the error?
Yes, exactly. The problem on Minkata was first reported June 27
hhhenry

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:19 pm

I have identified and fixed the issue in the Dirtsand server. This is a most interesting bug in that the player creation succeeds and there is no error, but there was a copy/paste mistake in the error checking code for the very last step of avatar creation on the server. This mistake caused the server to mistakenly report to the client a failure when there is really not one. Hence, you see the successfully created avatar when restarting the game. I'll see about redeploying dirtsand here on Gehn in the next few days. For now, ignore any player creation errors ;). This is certainly not the cause of the problem on Minkata, which uses a different server software, however.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Return to Gehn Shard