UPlasma development - Play Plasma from the Unity engine

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Idea: Play Plasma from another engine

Postby Lehnah » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:34 pm

I won't pretend to understand any of the technical stuff, but man Sirius, this looks awesome! I hope that all your hard work breaths a bit of new life in to the Uru community and that in the future dorks like me who can't build Ages will have new content to enjoy.
Lehnah

Re: Idea: Play Plasma from another engine

Postby Tweek » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:42 am

Any dork can build an Age...you just gotta learn :)

- A fellow dork who learned how to build Ages.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

UPlasma development - play Plasma from the Unity engine

Postby Sirius » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:24 am

Lehnah wrote:I hope that all your hard work breaths a bit of new life in to the Uru community and that in the future dorks like me who can't build Ages will have new content to enjoy.

We're still a long way from it, but I definitely hope so too ! :) At least it's really cool to see people interested in this small project.

Been a while since the last time I posted. Usually I'd use the occasion to show off some cool new feature, but I haven't made much progress recently. This is because I was writing 60+ pages of work report about wireless VR for school (which I just finished Thursday), while also starting a new job. I'm back on the project today, actually.

Still, here are some news:
  • This project's official name is now UPlasma (UPl for short). Not as catchy as I'd want, but that's what I call it in my code, so might as well make it official (I changed the topic's thread to reflect that).
  • Mod support is getting better and more stable. Gira now uses a Unity mod to fix lighting in caves, and it works pretty well.
  • I'm trying to figure out how to properly implement savegames, avatars and multiplayer since they all tie into each other (esp multiplayer). It's complex but it's starting to make sense.
  • Speaking of multiplayer. LAN-multiplayer sounds reasonable, and MASS multiplayer (on the MOULa scale) seems doable. Nothing solid yet, but definitely cool if I can pull it out later.

Tweek wrote:Any dork can build an Age...you just gotta learn :)

I'd say having time and motivation to learn the basics of modeling is the hardest and probably what will put off most people, but after that it gets really rewarding once you're comfortable with your tools. Warning: rambling incoming.

Show Spoiler
Sirius

Re: UPlasma development - play Plasma from the Unity engine

Postby Christian Walther » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:10 am

Sirius wrote:
  • I'm trying to figure out how to properly implement savegames, avatars and multiplayer since they all tie into each other (esp multiplayer). It's complex but it's starting to make sense.
  • Speaking of multiplayer. LAN-multiplayer sounds reasonable, and MASS multiplayer (on the MOULa scale) seems doable. Nothing solid yet, but definitely cool if I can pull it out later.

Wow! As far as I am concerned, this feature is what would make this from a neat toy project into a viable Plasma replacement. I’m excited to hear that you are considering going in that direction now. Good luck!
Christian Walther

Re: UPlasma development - Play Plasma from the Unity engine

Postby Sirius » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:07 am

Of course ! :) Uru is still alive because of multiplayer and fanmade content, so I'm interested in bringing back both.

But yeah, this is a big feature. The whole sdl/instancing/avatar/animation system relies on it too, so I'm moving slowly on all those fronts. I'm no network engineer either, but Uru is a rather light MMO.

Also, contrarily to a standard MMO, there would be no need to enforce everyone to have the exact same game install. This could lead to... interesting situations. For instance, you could install on your PC an Age that doesn't exist on the Shard, yet still be connected to the Shard for chatting, etc. Maybe even switch on the fly between playing on the main server and playing peer-to-peer in private instances. Or even switch Shards from within the Nexus, but keep the same avatar. This whole thing could be pretty rad... We'll see.
Sirius

Postby Aloys » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:03 am

Hey there,
I don't have much to add but as I said previously I really love the progress you are making on this big project. (Gira starts to look really good!) So I hope you keep making further progress. :)

UPlasma

That makes sense.
Aloys

Postby Sirius » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:53 am

I'm delighted to hear it ! :)

I don't have much to add either, save that I'm working on SDL variables. Once they are functional, some puzzles might start working(ish). Should be fun.

To any programmer reading this: Google Protobuf is awesome. This and JSON make serialization a no-brainer...
Sirius

Postby Aloys » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:18 am

Sirius wrote:To any programmer reading this: Google Protobuf is awesome. This and JSON make serialization a no-brainer...

That is an interesting piece of info. I didn't know about Protobuf but earlier at work we had to JSON-ified part of our Unity datas at work and it was far from a no-brainer... :?
Aloys

Postby Sirius » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:46 am

Well, to be perfectly honest, I did struggle finding a good Json serializer before. It's only a no-brainer now that I know how to use it ;)
If that can help you, I'm using the Unity port of Newtonsoft's Json.NET, works for most if not all platforms. Unity's own classes can't be directly serialized, but Json.NET allows you to write custom converters for types like Vector3, etc (some people might have written such serializers already).

Protobuf is more "complex" than Json, and I don't use it for the same purpose... Json is good for storing player settings and simple data, and things that the knowledgeable user might want to tweak using a text editor.
Protobuf, on the other hand, is good for storing raw binary data. It's not human-readable, but is very optimized for things like networking. In another project I used it for real-time download of heavy data from a server, it's really efficient.
Sirius

Re: UPlasma development - play Plasma from the Unity engine

Postby sarpedon2 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Sirius wrote:

LAN-multiplayer seems like a more interesting way of playing Uru. It would allow you to solve multiplayer scenarios and encourage cooperative exploration, but it would still give the sense of isolation and venturing into unknown worlds that I think Uru could/could've offer/ed. Of course this would be in a scenario where Uru-Live would have a large number of players at any given time, something that while it has many benefits, creates a challenge if you want to maintain the freshness of ages.
I hope you keep going with this project, its always nice to see many of the ages I've become familiar with since 2003, get a bit of makeover. :D
sarpedon2

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion